default header

Welcome

The internet reacts to Insomnia articles...

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Aug 2009 14:47

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2009 15:40

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201095

I am getting quite tired of this. Six pages of links and still not a single sentence worth reading. Which was the point I wanted to demonstrate with this thread -- so I guess QED?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2009 16:15

http://anticoolblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... hance.html

Certainly better written than most responses, but still shallow and vapid. He still thinks that elitism is a bad thing and having strong views is a mistake. Long live little tolerant people with little tolerant views who never take anything seriously. Not to mention that he peddles the same shtick as all loser writers: "I don't write to be read; no, I write for myself!" He has failed before he has even begun. As if a human being living alone would ever have a reason to write anything. He wouldn't even have had language, lol. The best thing in his entire blog is the link to this site: this is the fundamental mission of all little writers: to spread abroad the fame of the great ones.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Sep 2009 16:50

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... nongamers/

JohnHyperion wrote:His point is that publishers of game magazines should realize that non-game software is coming out for game platforms and they should readjust by focusing on proper games, as opposed to every piece of software that comes out on a game system.

You're using "new" in a completely different way than he is there. You seem to be suggesting that because the DS and Wii have "new" stuff that he's obligated to liking the systems. He's not begging for "new" stuff for the sake of it, he's saying a lot of the new stuff is non-game shit that shouldn't be in a game magazine's charts, because none of the readers of game magazines care about them, and none of the non-gamers care about gaming mags.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... ideogames/

TBMonkey wrote:This blog has good blogread but crappy graphics

monkeymanD wrote:This blog has shitty authorwrite.

monkeymanD wrote:some of the best gameplay I've ever played
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Sep 2009 14:25

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... st11252734

Templaris wrote:Most of the HD resolutions from the consoles are fake anyways, as this article points out. http://insomnia.ac/hardware/the_fake-hd_era/ [insomnia.ac]

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/09/0 ... ush-For-HD

Nightwish wrote:What hd consoles?
http://insomnia.ac/hardware/the_fake-hd_era/

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/14/surpr ... a-this-de/

There's also this thread from which we've had several hundred clicks in the last few days, but the forum requires registration before it lets you view it. So I tried registering an account, but for some reason I am not receiving the activation email. So if anyone can be bothered to get an account there and post or send me a copy of the thread, I'd appreciate it. I usually don't go to so much trouble if a thread only sends a handful of visitors (which is almost always the case with forums which require registration), but this seems to be a pretty big one and I am wondering whether they are saying anything interesting.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby abe » 15 Sep 2009 21:17

It took a little while for me to receive the validation email. Unfortunately, I asked them and a person said I needed 20 posts in order to see the section it's posted in. I have 5 posts right now but there's not much for me to comment on.
abe

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Sep 2009 20:53

lolwtf

Dude, if you can be bothered to go through with this that'd be great. If not, well, who cares. They are probably saying something stupid anyway.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Sep 2009 16:43

http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDL ... 0514&cpp=1

Mike_LowELL wrote:Review of Unreal Tournament 3

Review of Team Fortress 2

This is a slightly more detailed version of the point I'm trying to argue. "More buttons" doesn't necessarily mean "better game", but "more functionality" often means "better game", which "more buttons" makes much easier.

Quite clearly and succinctly put. A reader one can be proud of.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby abe » 22 Sep 2009 22:47

I've finally accumulated the 20 posts for this. The 6 page thread mostly just trashed you without giving any reasons. The posts had a lot of spacing for whatever reason, missing periods, not capitalizing words- it kinda looked like first graders wrote this stuff. It's Gamefaqs caliber stuff; you weren't missing out on much. Here's some of the posts:

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/pc/doukutsumonogatari/

to be fair his point about how it doesn't stand up well when put next to other games is fully legitimate

the fact it is free never comes into play on the game's quality, and maybe it's free for a reason!

(that said i love cave story but shut up)

haha oh man this guy is great
http://insomnia.ac/reviews/pc/teamfortress2/

HURP DURP NOT DEEP ENOUGH OR CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE PREQUEL I WANT TO NOCLIP ACROSS THE MAP

I would also like to mention that his cave story review has a GOD AWFUL design. 75% screenshots fore 25% text so you look like you wrote more? ****ing hell.

it's not so much that his points are invalid because he does state some pretty logical stuff, it's the fact of how he presents it

A good reviewer has the ability to drive in their points without being completely hateful or without being a complete suckup, which are both things that this person fails at entirely.

Not to mention his bias-- while he certainly can criticize things he tends to lean in the favour of various subjects too much. It's okay to be a little biased, but this guy is just off the wall. (Mostly considering he instantaneously hates anything that is both indie and not japanese, while he praises ****ty obscure Japanese bullet hells through the roof)

Problem with his reviews is that they are pure bias (besides the fact that he's also a retard).

i lol every time someone brings up this site

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/megadrive/sonicthehedgehog2/ gets me every time

I do like some of their articles though even though it's pretty much david sirlin's articles but with even more internet tough guy

btw to make this article like 5000x funnier, Seth from SFIV was named after the author of this article.

I liked that article they did a while back on gameplay

"ya well books and movies and music dont have bookread or moviewatch or musiclisten"

yeah they also don't have the level of interactivity that videogames have
or any interactivity at all

hence why a term like gameplay is completely valid in this situation

RETARD LOL!!!!

i'd go on his site and point out that tf2 and tfc are different games and the ideas behind them are
TFC: Quake-style 'dexterity' based skill (bunny-hopping, nadejumping, complex **** that makes it unfun for newbies)
TFC: Newb friendly with no abilities other people can't use (if you go soldier, everything you can do I can do too. You can't rocketjump in a massively different way than me. You can't control crits. Neither can I. A victory on either part means we used the right weapons the right way the right time. If I rely on rockets too much, you can shotgun me to death. If you insist on using the shotgun close range, I can get you easily.)

but he'd say THAT'S NO EXCUSE TO **** US OVER WE WANT HARDCORE FPS GAMES TROLL MORE YOU ****ING **** **** TURRETS SYNDROME BUTTHURT TROLL and ban me

Insomnia is a terrible gaming site to begin with. Even the RPG board on Gamefaqs agree with this (mostly.)
abe

Unread postby aaden » 23 Sep 2009 04:37

Bravo for putting up with that forum for 20 posts. Reading over some of those, I can't say I would have been able to.
aaden

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Sep 2009 15:28

Yeah, thanks for the effort.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2009 16:44

Marvulus wrote:You have any opinions on "Alex Kierkegaard"?

Roodwurm wrote:Ohoho! Nice name drop there.

There's no doubt this man knows what he's talking about, a great deal more so than any other individual that writes about video games and I like his relentless attacks against all 'serious' game media, since I don't really like what it has become (people put too much emphasis on not so relevant elements like 'story' and pointless ponderings on if games can be 'art').

If you visit his forums, he doesn't come off as a very pleasant person to interact with, although that shouldn't have to matter. I must admit, he does ire me a bit and I feel like he's playing the role of one-eye in the land of the blind a bit too much, if you know where I'm getting at...

How do you feel about him (funny question, but if you are interested in video games and know about him, I think it's impossible to not have some sort of opinion on the man)?

Marvulus wrote:He begs for an opinion. I agree with you on this though. I might even end up buying his books. He's not so much unpleasant as he is unapologetic. He bans 90% of posters in his forum, but he's clear about his reasons and viewpoints and usually gives warnings. He has a low tolerance for cats who respond without understanding fully what he's said, or making assumptions he hasn't even alluded to, which happens all the time in regular forums.

I can't disagree with his methods or madness because the clarity of his thought is, well, clear, if you don't mind all those philosopher quotes (which I appreciate anyway). I'd never post there, but like you said he shits on every[most] game journalist I've read.

There was a recent 40+ page thread on rllmukforum where he was getting it in with the reviewers and journalists of credential and made such asses of them they deleted the thread for no other reason.

http://tehbored.com/showthread.php?p=701544#post701544
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2009 16:52

It continues here:

http://tehbored.com/showthread.php?p=701634#post701634

Roodwurm wrote:True. I guess what gets me is that he's so pragmatic in his choice of philosophers whose concepts he (partly) subscribes to. He has a way of expressing himself in absolutes. I tend to think that the only absolute is that there are no absolutes and value Heidegger's ideas over those of Baudrillard.

You "tend to think" wrong. That "there are no absolutes" is itself an absolute. Reversibility is absolute, as Baudrillard said: it is the fundamental rule.

And as for valuing "Heidegger's ideas over those of Baudrillard" -- this is a clear sign that you understand nothing about these two people, nor their ideas. This is because for the most part they are talking about COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Roodwurm wrote:Maybe it would have less of such an effect if he wouldn't be so blatant about the sources of his approach, like with all the 'you have to read the following works to be able to understand what it is I'm telling you' statements. Nah man, build on your sources and write in such a manner that it incorporates these ideas and concepts naturally.

This is your laziness talking. I am sorry but I am not into plagiarism, which is what this "incorporation" you speak of is. It is this "incorporation" which makes philosophers so difficult to understand. If Baudrillard had plain simply acknowledged his debt to Nietzsche, and pointed out exactly where his philosophy connects with Nietzsche's, instead of simply STEALING HIS CONCEPTS AND DRESSING THEM UP WITH NEW NAMES, I wouldn't have had to spend a year of my life discovering these connections -- i.e. discovering HIS PLAGIARISM.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Sep 2009 20:52

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Oct 2009 18:45

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby another Riposte » 01 Oct 2009 22:05

So your essays will be featured in a college course? Has this happened before? I am a little curious on how you feel on that matter.
another Riposte

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Oct 2009 01:12

It has happened once before, last year at a postgraduate course at NYU. I mentioned it in the Basic Instincts article (gratuitously really, just in order to drive the point home to all the people who hate me but who still read my essays).

In this case though I think it's just a student discussion group, and this particular student chose to discuss some of my articles. In the previous case it was a professor who included one of my essays in his syllabus.

As to how I feel about it. I would be lying if I didn't admit that stuff like this greatly pleases me. On the other hand, I recognize that it is really not such a big thing to brag about. That NYU professor, for example, also teaches from Sirlin's book, which is entirely worthless -- you would learn more about games by spending the same time playing Pong than by reading his book -- and most Game Studies courses at universities are simply a waste of time. The professors are idiots and the books and essays they recommend worthless. The only time they do something worthwhile is when teach their students programming. Whenever they try to talk about design they say the same stupid shit as Will Wright and Peter Moleynux, and all those writing for Gamasutra and Game Developer.

And it's the same thing with philosophy courses, really. Most of the stuff taught at philosophy courses is simply garbage. But that is the problem with so highly theoretical fields as these, where it is not simply a matter of "pure science". In such studies a thing is either true or not, correct or false, and it is very easy to distinguish between the two by a simple experiment.

In fields where experiments are not possible, and everyone is more or less free to say what they want because no one can conclusively refute them, most of what is taught ends up being simply garbage. And this will never change.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Oct 2009 14:08

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Oct 2009 13:16

Trailer trash Americans and their retarded podcasts:

http://headsupshow.com/2009/10/05/ep-31 ... free-time/

At least they linked me, which means they at least fulfilled their lives' purpose.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Oct 2009 13:20

He’s basically the Michael Savage of video games.

This by the way is a typically American form of (not-)thinking. "The Citizen Kane of videogames." "The Lester Bangs of game journalism." "The blah blah blah of blah blah blah." Every new thing has to be reduced to something old otherwise they find it incomprehensible.

And you are the trailer trash of videogames.

There, see? I can do it too. The couple of years I spent in the states were not a complete waste.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Oct 2009 13:28

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby dagamdagee » 07 Oct 2009 17:23

Well, I'm glad to be of service. Those are most definitely your best articles, especially Arcade Culture. You're about as hardcore as hardcore can get, and I enjoy your examinations on the mindset of the video game purists.

All patronization aside, I was expecting something better from your insult. I actually posted that little piece on you on purpose for the sheer fact that I wanted to see what you could come up with -- as I'm a bit of a masochist for this kind of stuff -- and I was unfortunately let down. I'm frankly horrible at insulting people so I went for the easy picking in regards to you, but I expected a higher caliber of vitriol from the master himself.

You think I'm trailer trash, really? I suppose since America spent eight years under redneck rule, that kind of assumption is pretty easy to make; but, believe me when I tell you that I hate white Americans as much as you do. You're pretty spot-on in your assumption, though, as I'm a native of a pretty redneck state, but my heart's in London if that means anything at all to you.

All in all, I'm happy to be your text-based gimp. I find half -- more or less -- of your articles to be very interesting reads and I'm looking forward to whatever future pieces you do. I don't find you to be a very pleasant human being, but you are a damn good writer. I can't help but to give you respect from one writer to another. Cheers.
dagamdagee

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Oct 2009 15:02

dagamdagee wrote:Those are most definitely your best articles, especially Arcade Culture.

There are currently 26 essays in the Videogame Culture collection. You wouldn't be able to find the best one if I gave you 25 tries.

dagamdagee wrote:You're about as hardcore as hardcore can get, and I enjoy your examinations on the mindset of the video game purists.

The "videogame purists", lol. As opposed to the "videogame impurists" I guess. In plain words: the intelligent, passionate connoisseurs as opposed to the idiotic posers.

dagamdagee wrote:I actually posted that little piece on you on purpose for the sheer fact that I wanted to see what you could come up with

"On purpose for the sheer fact." You write like a college drop-out.

dagamdagee wrote:I'm frankly horrible at insulting people

You seem to be "frankly horrible" at everything so I am not surprised.

dagamdagee wrote:You think I'm trailer trash, really?

I do not think you are trailer trash -- I can see it. Really. Your every sentence screams trailer trash.

dagamdagee wrote:but, believe me when I tell you that I hate white Americans as much as you do.

So I am now supposed to hate white Americans. I wonder how the white Americans who post on this forum failed to pick up on this interpretation of my writings. But then again they are white Americans, so what can you expect from them?

dagamdagee wrote:You're pretty spot-on in your assumption, though, as I'm a native of a pretty redneck state, but my heart's in London if that means anything at all to you.

Yes, it means that you are not only trailer trash but also a lager lout. Quite a rare cross-breed indeed.

dagamdagee wrote:All in all, I'm happy to be your text-based gimp.

Of course you are, that's the high point of your life. It's all downhilll for you from here.

dagamdagee wrote:I find half -- more or less -- of your articles to be very interesting reads and I'm looking forward to whatever future pieces you do.

Of course you are, like the rest of internet. Too bad you won't manage to understand anything from them. Like the rest of the internet.

dagamdagee wrote:I don't find you to be a very pleasant human being

And I don't find you to be a human being, period.

dagamdagee wrote:but you are a damn good writer.

Coming from a college drop-out who can barely string together a legible sentence I'll take that as an insult.

dagamdagee wrote:I can't help but to give you respect from one writer to another.

I guess that's how trailer trash "give respect" between themselves -- by calling each other's writings "rambling, nonsensical and self-masturbatory".

dagamdagee wrote:Cheers.

Go hang yourself.
icycalm
Hyperborean

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome