default header

Games

NG:DEV.TEAM

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Apr 2010 14:55

I was just going through their blog earlier today due to Fast Striker, and scrolled all the way down to the bottom. The whole thing basically reads like totally unfunny, particularly annoying Engrish.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Welcome to the NG:DEV.TEAM Blog, from today on we will report here news and information regarding Last Hope and our future projects.

Let's beginn with a short history about NG:DEV.TEAM and Last Hope.

How everything began.

Already into our childhood the medium video game fascinated us. Especially the Super Famicom, Mega Drive with games like Contra Spirits, R-type III and Thunder Force IV impressed us at this time. Then the NEO·GEO brought the arcade in our living rooms, with masterpieces such as Last Resort, Pulstar and Metal Slug. Inspired with program technical and graphical talent, it was only a question of time until we tried to produce a video game of our own.

Mid 1999 we heard on a mailing list of a NEO·GEO development protoype board. Thus we though the first time to develop for our beloved, mysterious, exotic and unexplored NEO·GEO. In the 10 years before we collected experience with rather conventional and publicly documented systems like the C64, AMIGA500, PC and GBC. During this long phase, both our requirements and our results have been constantly improved.

In the end of 1999 we began to build the NEO·GEO development environment. Our development environment consists of efficient and powerfull Graphic, Map and Scripting-Tools as well as custom-built compilers for 68k and Z80.

Our first goal has been to create our own adequate 2D video game: Last Hope.

Adequately means to us beautiful graphics, which uses the technical possibilities of the hardware combined with in-depth Gameplay. As we consider the 16-bit video game ages as the peak of 2D video game culture, which is best represented by the NEO·GEO - it has been an obvious choice that we would develop for this console. We are NEO·GEO fans. We love video games in Japanese 2D old shool tradition. Especially Arcade Shoot' em Ups & Run' n' Guns, so we decided to resume this tradition with Last Hope and our subsequent video games.

After publication of its last masterpiece, the third part of the Metal Slug series, the last big 2D supporter SNK died in the the year 2000. At least we thought so at this time.

Given that Last Hope has already been in development for over one year and achieved higher quality, we decided to assemble NG:DEV.TEAM in the year 2001 to make the game accessible also for the public. This takes time unfortunately until today. Although, with the completion of Last Hope our goal has already been achieved in the year 2003 . First we intended to publish the game exclusively on the NEO·GEO CD, because we considered a AES version as not to be realizable. But after some experiments we realized our project to run Last Hope on the AES hardware.

Today, Last Hope is already finished and ready for sales and the preorders are open. But still, no cart left its place of birth, because a change of the price strategy is needed and also the production quality of our game wants to be secured.

Last Hope shows the potential of NG:DEV.TEAM, but it is only the beginning.

info@ngdevteam.com

So, I mean, it's really hard to dislike these people, because it takes a lot of balls to dedicate yourself to the fucking Neo Geo in the 21st century, and to keep pumping out brand-new AES and MVS carts in 2010.

On the other hand, it's very hard to like them when they write like spastic teenagers. One of them even complained at some point on Shmups.com that I swear too much in my articles. They show all the signs of stunted adolescence, all the way down to the way they interact with the retards on Shmups (i.e. THAT they interact with them at all).

So yeah, I am not really fond of their games, and from what I've seen of them I would still take the worst-of-the-worst that was made in Japan for the Neo Geo than anything THEY have yet made, and they are annoying as hell, but it's still very hard for me to actively dislike them.

So I am still holding out my last hope for them, that they will eventually grow out of their extremely lengthy adolescent phase, sign up some dudes who know how to draw and make music, and then perhaps release something of which I will be able to say that I feel genuinely excited.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games