default header

Games

Top 100 Videogames

Moderator: JC Denton

Top 100 Videogames

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jan 2013 12:48

http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/170999621

Anonymous wrote:Have you ever seen a good "Top 100 games" list?
I don't even mean /v/ or 4chan, but on the Internet in general.
I have the impression that pretty much every vidya rankings list is beyond retarded.

Only too true, and it's getting worse every year in fact. In their defense, it is an extremely difficult task. I mean no one has what it takes to even review one of these games properly, and even those who get somewhere near doing so for one or two games, can hardly do it for more than one or two genres. It is laughable to even expect anyone but me to do even a top 5, let alone a top 100. So I am going to make an effort to at least start a top 100 in this thread, a couple of titles at a time, and see where it goes. Note that this list is not the same as the Videogame Art list, but I will leave the detailed explanation as to why for later. So here goes:

1. Grand Theft Auto III
2. Far Cry 2
3. Halo
4. Max Payne
5. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
6. Sid Meier's Civilization III (haven't played IV yet)
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
8. The Super Shinobi
9. Super Mario World
10. Jet Set Radio

Note that, apart from the top 2 or 3 entries, all others are provisional. Obviously, when I play and rank Deus Ex, it will go far above the 2D, turn-based games, etc., pushing all of them down, and so it is with many other games. But this list is a good start, and certainly gives some idea of the relative standing of the different games, and more importantly the genres they belong to. But it gets really mind-bendingly tough trying to rank such extremely different games in terms of raw pleasure, so I am going to stop for now and think about it some more. But like I said, this top 10 is already light years ahead of every other ranking you've ever seen published. (And watch it being aped across the internet by people who have not the slightest idea why they are aping it.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jan 2013 12:26

1. Grand Theft Auto III
2. Far Cry 2
3. Halo
4. Max Payne
5. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
6. Sid Meier's Pirates!
7. Master of Magic
8. Sid Meier's Civilization III (haven't played IV yet)
9. Metal Gear Solid 2 (haven't played 3 and 4 yet)
10. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (haven't played III and Online yet)
11. Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
12. Ninja Gaiden
13. Gun Valkyrie
14. Devil May Cry
15. The Super Shinobi
16. Super Mario World
17. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigokutachi~
18. Espgaluda II
19. Shenmue
20. Biohazard -CODE: Veronica-
21. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
22. Pikmin
23. Daimakaimura
24. Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi
25. Samurai Spirits (I have played Shin, but I don't remember enough to compare them after all these years, so I am going with the original for now)
26. Zero Gunner 2
27. Strider Hiryuu
28. Jet Set Radio
29. F-Zero AX
30. Vanquish
31. Gears of War (haven't played any of the sequels yet)

It's starting to take shape.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jan 2013 12:36

I am having trouble fitting in the Gold Box games. They are true masterpieces, much better than most of BioWare's D&D stuff (perhaps even all of it, but I still need to play BG2 properly to ascertain this), but they are such a different experience to everything else on the list, it's really hard to rank them. The Fire Emblems too. I seem to have trouble ranking squad-level turn-based tactics games. I guess because they are so different from the cinematic experience that everything else goes for. Having multiple avatars is what does it, I think. It totally prevents a game from reaching the highest levels of immersion.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jan 2013 12:52

And I am even having second thoughts on whether Far Cry 2 should be on top instead of GTA.

For all those (and there are a lot of them: just check /v/) who are wondering why the absurdly high regard for FC2, you'll have to wait for my review of course. But I'll say this much for now: for the longest time I would have given FC2 4/5. But then I sat down one day, with a map of the world in my brain, and thought: Where would I rather be now, if I could be anywhere I wanted? And the answer was Africa. And I've never even fucking been to Africa, nor had ever had the slightest interest in going there (or any other third-world hellhole for that matter) before playing the game. To affect the Overman's mind to this extent: only art can do this.

The game contains maybe 2 hours of greatness in total. But they are the best 2 hours of art I've ever experienced. No movie or play or novel or piece of music has ever come close. So there.

(And don't give me the usual flatheaded nonsense that real Africa is not the same as Far Cry 2 Africa. That's the entire point you fucking imbeciles. That's what it means for something to be art.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jan 2013 13:25

To clarify: the Africa I wanted to be in when I sat down and decided where I would rather be was not the real Africa. If it had been the real Africa I would be over there right now, because I don't work and I have enough money to be wherever I want to be at any given time. So it was Far Cry 2 Africa. The place I decided I would rather be was in a fucking videogame. Only not in the actual videogame (which anyway was sitting on my shelf) but in a reality transformed along the lines of Far Cry 2 Africa. Get it? This is what I call the "distance vector". You can sort of see Baudrillard discussing art along the same lines here and there. When he says that between "contemporary art" (i.e. pseudo-art) and reality there is a "zero sum equation" this is what he means. That in this sort of pseudo-art nothing is glorified. That it contains no ideals, no hopes and plans for the future -- whereas Far Cry 2 does, and in spades. This poster on /v/ sort of gets it:

http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/171232461/#171245265

Oh sorry, I forgot the full title

>Malaria, Psychic Niggers with SPAS Respawning Behind Your Back and Guns Exploding after 10 Shots: The Game

A proper simulation of Africa.

A proper simulation of Africa would be something like Sony's Africa game. Which is boring and no one wants to play it exactly because it's a proper simulation. Ubisoft just used Africa as a backdrop for their fantasy, in the same way that Sabatini used the French Revolution in his Scaramouche, etc. etc. This is art, that's how it works, and that's why Ubisoft (and Rockstar) are two of the greatest arthouse videogame developers right now (to put it in terms fags can understand), and all our hopes for the future are pinned on them and everyone who's aiming to imitate them. Not even Platinum is capable of coming close to what those "mane streem" "dependie" developers have accomplished -- not to speak of smelly lonely students fiddling with Game Maker in their basements. If we added all the "indie" developers on the planet right now they couldn't even make FAR CRY 2' START SCREEN LOL. Seriously, check this shit. One of the most stunning start screens ever, animation and music included. The mere idea of that start screen is enough to get me excited. The music is phenomenal -- almost good enough to stand on its own (which is why it is in the Insomnia Mix). Show me one "indie" group that can make a start screen like that, music like that -- and blend them so stunningly like this. Not to speak of the rest of the game.

And people are laughing at my choice of No 1 or No 2 game, and then turn around and apotheosize trash like Skyrim or Bioshock or whatever, with mechanics from 1995 and art direction by A.U. Tistic, or 2D "indie" stuff that would have been laughed at in 1985. Meh, you deserve the shitty lists you get, etc. etc. etc. And I still don't know of a single human being who has the range required to properly appreciate even A FRACTION of all the various games and genres featured on my list. That's why y'all are scratching your little subhuman heads and wondering what kind of drugs I am on. Far Cry 2 -- best videogame ever. Believe it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Jan 2013 13:38

And for those of you who will be trying the game before reading my review because of my recommendation, here's a vital hint without which you will ruin the experience for yourself, as everyone else did: WALK.

If you don't walk, you will never understand this game. Play it as you would play it if you were actually there, and you will be there.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Aug 2014 08:52

Time for a little update on this.

01. Far Cry 2
02. Grand Theft Auto III
03. PlanetSide 2
04. Planetary Annihilation
05. Max Payne
06. Halo
07. Wing Commander
08. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
09. Sid Meier's Pirates!
10. Far Cry
11. Master of Magic
12. Sid Meier's Civilization III (haven't played IV yet)
13. Metal Gear Solid 2 (haven't played 3 and 4 yet)
14. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (haven't played III and Online yet)
15. Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
16. Pool of Radiance
17. The Secret of Monkey Island
18. Ninja Gaiden
19. Gun Valkyrie
20. Devil May Cry
21. The Super Shinobi
22. Super Mario World
23. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigokutachi~
24. Espgaluda II
25. Shenmue
26. Dune
27. Merchant Prince
28. Biohazard -CODE: Veronica-
29. Biohazard
30. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
31. Pikmin
32. Daimakaimura
33. Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi
34. Samurai Spirits (I have played Shin, but I don't remember enough to compare them after all these years, so I am going with the original for now)
35. Zero Gunner 2
36. Strider Hiryuu
37. Jet Set Radio
38. Gears of War (haven't played any of the sequels yet)
39. Planescape: Torment
40. Genma Onimusha
41. Quest for Glory
42. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
43. Lost Planet 2
44. Hard Corps: Uprising
45. Vanquish
46. Operation Darkness
47. North & South
48. Power Stone
49. Lemmings
50. Phantasmagoria
51. Super Mario Kart

Still very much a work in-progress, but I am up to 50 titles now, and the top 10 is almost set.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Aug 2014 09:06

By the way, there are still a bunch of biggies I have yet to play, like Europa Universalis, Supreme Commander, a bunch of post-Far Cry 2 FPSes, and so on, and any number of them could end up anywhere on the list, including in the top 10. But even without these games, my list is still the best there is. You won't see any "Ocarinas of Time" or "GoldenEyes" on it, for example, let alone anywhere near the top 10. I don't think there's another such list on display anywhere.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Aug 2014 09:27

Only one Japanese game in the top 15, and it's MGS2 lol. I really don't think that a Japanese game has grabbed me more than it. Or if it has, I have a mental block now and can't recall it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby chb » 25 Aug 2014 14:56

One question about your list: Why is Max Payne on it and not Max Payne 2 or Max Payne 3? Did you only play the first game and if you played the other games, how is the first game better than them? I'm asking because I only played Max Payne 2 and the demo of Max Payne. I'm curious if I'm missing something by not having played the full game.
chb

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Aug 2014 17:00

Yes, only played the first.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Sep 2014 17:04

Inserted PlanetSide 2 at number 3 and pushed everything below it one position lower. (Also flipped around the positions of Halo and Max Payne.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Sep 2014 17:06

You see Qpo? FPS is indeed better than RTS, but you have to have a game that can really exploit the strengths of the genre, and currently there are two of them that do it well enough to be placed above PA (which pretty much maxes out what can be accomplished in the RTS format).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Sep 2014 17:09

And hey, the third best videogame ever is a freemium game, so there go all conspiracy theories about this business model: in the trash, where they belong.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Nov 2014 00:38

https://archive.moe/v/thread/273307112/#273310691

Anonymous wrote:I find it amazing how nobody gave a shit about Far Cry 2 until Icycalm put it on the top of his Top 100 list.

https://archive.moe/v/thread/273307112/#273312715

Anonymous wrote:It's how it goes for just about every single thing he says or makes claim of.

https://archive.moe/v/thread/273307112/#273312627

Anonymous wrote:>>273312082
>Why do people like FC2 all of a sudden?
Icycalm praised it on his forum and now everyone is pretended they always liked the game.>>273310691
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 May 2017 11:17

Added Bayonetta, D:OS, For Honor, Rainbow Six Siege, PUBG, Total Annihilation, and replaced PA with Titans. It's still a very rough draft and I already know many changes I want to make but I am not in the mood to sit down and make them.

Also bolded all games that have reviews on the site. I want to make sure that when the list is published all games on it have been reviewed.

I am thinking of doing it in stages, however. Maybe start by publishing a top 10, then expand it to top 20, and so on. Maybe get to 1000, eventually. There are definitely 1000 awesome games in existence already that deserve to be recognized in a list of this kind. And it will make everyone else's top 100 lists even more puny and laughable in comparison.

01. Far Cry 2
02. Grand Theft Auto III
03. PlanetSide 2
04. Planetary Annihilation: Titans
05. Max Payne
06. Halo
07. Wing Commander
08. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
09. Sid Meier's Pirates!
10. Far Cry
11. Master of Magic
12. Sid Meier's Civilization III (haven't played IV yet)
13. Metal Gear Solid 2 (haven't played 3 and 4 yet)
14. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (haven't played III and Online yet)
15. Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
16. Divinity: Original Sin
17. Pool of Radiance
18. The Secret of Monkey Island
19. Ninja Gaiden
20. Gun Valkyrie
21. Devil May Cry
22. The Super Shinobi
23. Super Mario World
24. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigokutachi~
25. Espgaluda II
26. Shenmue
27. Dune
28. Merchant Prince
29. Biohazard -CODE: Veronica-
30. Biohazard
31. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
32. Pikmin
33. Daimakaimura
34. Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi
35. Samurai Spirits (I have played Shin, but I don't remember enough to compare them after all these years, so I am going with the original for now)
36. Zero Gunner 2
37. Strider Hiryuu
38. Jet Set Radio
39. Gears of War (haven't played any of the sequels yet)
40. Planescape: Torment
41. Genma Onimusha
42. Quest for Glory
43. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
44. Lost Planet 2
45. Hard Corps: Uprising
46. Vanquish
47. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
48. PlayerUnkown's Battlegrounds
49. Operation Darkness
50. North & South
51. Power Stone
52. Lemmings
53. Phantasmagoria
54. Total Annihilation
55. Bayonetta
56. For Honor
56. Super Mario Kart
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 19 May 2017 03:24

This is what I am competing with:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/13/best-fps/8/

They are honest-to-goodness saying that no better FPS has been released since Doom.

Alec Meer wrote:1 DOOM
2 Half-Life
3 Thief II: The Metal Age
4 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
5 Quake III Arena
6 Half-Life 2
7 Planetside 2
8 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
9 Battlefield 1942
10 Far Cry 2
11 SWAT 4
12 BioShock 2
13 Action Quake 2
14 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
15 Mirror’s Edge
16 Arma 3
17 Crysis
18 Natural Selection 2
19 Wolfenstein: The New Order
20 Alien: Isolation
21 Left 4 Dead 2
22 Unreal Tournament 2004
23 Dishonored
24 Call of Duty 2
25 The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena
26 Rising Storm
27 Star Wars: Dark Forces
28 Star Wars Jedi Knight – Mysteries Of The Sith
29 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
30 Tribes Ascend
31 Halo: Combat Evolved
32 Aliens versus Predator
33 The Typing Of The Dead
34 The Operative: No One Lives Forever
35 Far Cry 3
36 Team Fortress 2
37 Quake
38 Descent
39 Bulletstorm
40 Metro 2033 Redux
41 Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
42 Rage
43 Tron 2.0
44 Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
45 Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
46 The Darkness 2
47 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
48 Zeno Clash
49 F.E.A.R.
50 Eldritch

The vast majority of the choices are laughable.

RPS has got to be the worst PC publication I've ever read. Even the most forgettable PC magazine of the '90s was far better.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 May 2017 01:52

I moved PUBG to number 3 and pushed PS2 and everything else one spot lower. It really is that good. I will have a VGART essay up soon.

01. Far Cry 2 (2008)
02. Grand Theft Auto III (2001)
03. Max Payne (2001)
04. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (2017)
05. PlanetSide 2 (2012)
06. Planetary Annihilation: Titans (2015)
07. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
08. Wing Commander (1990)
09. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (1999)
10. Far Cry (2004)

11. Metal Gear Solid 2 (haven't played 3 and 4 yet)
12. Sid Meier's Pirates!
13. Master of Magic
14. Sid Meier's Civilization III (haven't played IV yet)
15. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (haven't played III and Online yet)
16. Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
17. Divinity: Original Sin
18. Pool of Radiance
19. The Secret of Monkey Island
20. Ninja Gaiden
21. Gun Valkyrie
22. Devil May Cry
23. The Super Shinobi
24. Super Mario World
25. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigokutachi~
26. Espgaluda II
27. Shenmue
28. Dune
29. Merchant Prince
30. Biohazard -CODE: Veronica-
31. Biohazard
32. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
33. Pikmin
34. Daimakaimura
35. Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi
36. Samurai Spirits (I have played Shin, but I don't remember enough to compare them after all these years, so I am going with the original for now)
37. Zero Gunner 2
38. Strider Hiryuu
39. Jet Set Radio
40. Gears of War (haven't played any of the sequels yet)
41. Planescape: Torment
42. Genma Onimusha
43. Quest for Glory
44. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
45. Lost Planet 2
46. Hard Corps: Uprising
47. Vanquish
48. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
49. Operation Darkness
50. North & South
51. Power Stone
52. Lemmings
53. Phantasmagoria
54. Total Annihilation
55. Bayonetta
56. For Honor
57. Super Mario Kart
Last edited by icycalm on 23 May 2017 07:23, edited 3 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 May 2017 14:43

After some modifications, the top 10 is as complete as I can make it at this point in time (see above), so I will be putting it on the frontpage as soon as all the games in it have got in-depth reviews, which will be soon. After that, I will take some time and expand it to a top 20, top 30, and so on. Haven't decided yet whether I'll stop at 100 or keep going to 500 and perhaps 1000.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Jan 2018 17:23

Added Rust to the top 10 and dropped PUBG way down, somewhat below Siege. It was definitely the early rush of excitement that caused me to put it in the top 10.

Also a bunch of games have got reviews since the last update, so I bolded them.

This will be my next big project after all the games in the GOTY list have been reviewed. I think it's shaping up nicely.

01. Far Cry 2 (2008)
02. Grand Theft Auto III (2001)
03. Max Payne (2001)
04. Rust (2013)
05. PlanetSide 2 (2012)
06. Planetary Annihilation: Titans (2015)
07. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
08. Wing Commander (1990)
09. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (1999)
10. Far Cry (2004)

11. Metal Gear Solid 2 (haven't played 3-5 yet)
12. Sid Meier's Pirates!
13. Master of Magic
14. Sid Meier's Civilization III (haven't played IV yet)
15. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (haven't played III and Online yet)
16. Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
17. Divinity: Original Sin
18. Pool of Radiance
19. The Secret of Monkey Island
20. Ninja Gaiden
21. Gun Valkyrie
22. Devil May Cry
23. The Super Shinobi
24. Super Mario World
25. Factorio (2012)
26. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigokutachi~
27. Espgaluda II
28. Shenmue
29. Dune
30. Merchant Prince
31. Biohazard -CODE: Veronica-
32. Bio Hazard
33. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
34. Pikmin
35. Daimakaimura
36. Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi
37. Samurai Spirits (I have played Shin, but I don't remember enough to compare them after all these years, so I am going with the original for now)
38. Zero Gunner 2
39. Strider Hiryuu
40. Jet Set Radio
41. Gears of War (haven't played any of the sequels yet)
42. Planescape: Torment
43. Genma Onimusha
44. Quest for Glory
45. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
46. Lost Planet 2
47. Hard Corps: Uprising
48. Vanquish
49. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
50. Operation Darkness
51. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (2017)
52. North & South
53. Power Stone
54. Lemmings
55. Phantasmagoria
56. Total Annihilation
57. Bayonetta
58. For Honor
59. Super Mario Kart
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games