3.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 29581 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (38.33 KiB) Viewed 29581 times

5.jpg
5.jpg (45.31 KiB) Viewed 29581 times

6.jpg
6.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 29581 times

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/30/sh ... ned-tokyo/

East Mikado… year 1492. When people become 18 years old they go through the Gauntlet Ritual to become samurai. Samurai are armed with a demon summoning program and hunt demons in secret. Only a few people know that demons exist in the world.

Tokyo is overrun by demons in Shin Megami Tensei IV. The protagonist and Samurai from East Mikado are sent here to protect the city. Atlus specifically mentions a battles between "law and chaos" and "god and demons" will take place here.

Shin Megami Tensei IV gets rid of random battles. The Symbol Encounter system puts demons on the field. Strike an enemy and you’ll get a first strike when the battle begins.

Like other Shin Megami Tensei titles you can talk to demons and invite them to your party. Shin Megami Tensei IV uses the press turn system from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne that rewards players that exploit enemy weaknesses with extra turns.

Demon fusing is back too. You can combine demons to make more powerful ones

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/08/wh ... tensei-iv/

Tokyo is in ruins in Shin Megami Tensei IV and the remaining survivors have left to fend for themselves in a demon filled world. The Eight Legions Union Asura Association have been maintaining law and order from their headquarters in Roppongi. This group has been negotiating with demons to protect people. While they seem friendly, the Asura Association will punish people who disagree with their rule without any mercy.

You may remember the Cult of Gaia from other Shin Megami Tensei titles. They’re in Shin Megami Tensei IV and are based in the wealthy district of Ginza. The Cult of Gaia doesn’t care if you’re human or a demon, their philosophy is only the strong will survive kind of like the Yosuga from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. The Asura Association and the Cult of Gaia are at arms with each other in Shin Megami Tensei IV.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/30/ch ... tensei-iv/

Charon is an ally in Shin Megami Tensei IV. If your party gets wiped out in battle you can pay Charon a fee to revive your team.

If you keep dying Shin Megami Tensei IV will give players an option to change the difficulty level, which makes the Nintendo 3DS game more beginner friendly than other entries in the series.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55rhua7oid0

Planned to be released in 2013.
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 11 Feb 2013 12:28

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/11/sm ... tensei-iv/

niyari.jpg
niyari.jpg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 29545 times

Shin Megami Tensei IV uses the press turn system from Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga which rewards exploiting enemy weaknesses with extra attacks. Atlus added a new twist in Shin Megami Tensei IV – smirks. Smirking temporarily buffs your character and shields your weaknesses. Smirking can turn the tide of battle when you’re in a pinch. The catch is like the press turn system party members *and* enemy demons can smirk.
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 20 Feb 2013 06:42

http://gematsu.com/2013/02/shin-megami- ... e-date-set

SMT4-3DSXL.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei IV will launch for 3DS on May 23 in Japan, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

A limited edition 3DS XL with an original ‘gods and devils’ design (pictured) and the game pre-installed on the system will also be released on the same date.

First-run copies of the title will include a “Sound & Art Collection.”

Price and pre-order bonuses have yet to be revealed. A Famitsu DX Pack is also being planned. Details on its contents will be shared at a later date.
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 27 Feb 2013 07:10

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/26/sh ... ng-system/

Just like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, players will be able to affect how Shin Megami Tensei IV ends. A retail listing explains you make choices during the story and affect the ending in a big way. Shin Megami Tensei IV will have different ideologies to follow and these reasons will be in conflict with each other. Will you abide by God’s order, seek the demon’s reformation or possibly find another way?

Depending on your decision you will experience a different story route since Shin Megami Tensei IV has a multi-ending and multi-story system.
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 02 Mar 2013 07:58

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/shin-megami- ... t-gameplay

Atlus has updated the official Shin Megami Tensei IV website with a new equipment screen gameplay video.

The protagonist’s appearance will change depending what armor he has equipped. Armor doesn’t just protect you from enemy attacks—it is strong against some and weak against others.

Equipment video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3KasapG9uw
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 11 Mar 2013 06:59

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/08/sh ... s-for-you/

Figuring out which demons you can make in previous Shin Megami Tensei titles takes a lot of trial and error. Shin Megami Tensei IV aims to streamline this by giving players a recommended fusion option. By suggesting demons, you won’t need to cancel out of a dozen fusions just to figure out which demons you can make.

Of course, you’re free to fuse demons on your own too. Shin Megami Tensei IV has a detailed demon compendium which lets you search by skills, race, or the name of the demon. Just like previous games you can pay macca to get a demon back with the abilities saved in the compendium.
ksevcov

Unread postby Heell » 19 Mar 2013 14:33

Heell

Unread postby ksevcov » 23 Mar 2013 08:46

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/shin-megami- ... nge-quests

Atlus has updated the official Shin Megami Tensei IV website with new details. The upcoming 3DS game will feature StreetPass support through a new Digital Devil Service, and offer over 100 “Challenge Quests” alongside the main story.

Party Growth

> Demons can increase their health and power by gaining experience points.

> They can also grow by learning new skills. As they acquire new skills, it’s easier to strike an enemy’s weak point, and battles get easier through better tactics.

> Among the demons, there are also some that level up, and “Ash Level Up” into completely different demons.

Whisper Events

> As the Demons grow, they can teach you the skills they’ve learned themselves.

> Once you’ve learned skills from various Demons, you’ll become a fully grown up Samurai.

Burroughs, the fairy

> The Operating System called “Burroughs” is installed in the Gauntlet.

> Burroughs is an entity navigating various Samurai activities.

> It’s also responsible for handling the “Demon Summons Program” which is installed in the Gauntlet and manages the Demon’s assignments, etc.

Digital Devil Service (DDS)

> DDS is a proprietary Social Network Service, like a connection where demon-users can meet.

> Through 3DS StreetPass, DDS can be used to boast about your Demons to other Samurai, Demon training, and indiscriminate fusion.

Samurai Missions

> Requests received by people and various organizations who try to establish monasteries are called “Quests.” Managing those quests is also one of Burrough’s duties.

> The Player progresses through the main story by completing quests.

Challenge Quests

> Besides the “Main Quests” that progress the story, there are also “Challenge Quests” that can be tackled anytime.

> Those Challenge Quests are challenges that can be played at any desired time. They are intended to provide the player with enjoyable Side Stories independent from the main story line.

> There are over 100 different Challenge Quests included in the game.
ksevcov

Unread postby ksevcov » 06 Apr 2013 08:58

Video showing demon negotiation, battle and demon fusion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj9R8CHVXNI
ksevcov

Unread postby prfirm » 22 Apr 2013 15:02

http://gematsu.com/2013/04/shin-megami- ... -tsugihagi

Atlus has updated the official Shin Megami Tensei IV website with three new character profiles.

The site introduces:

Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV_2013_04-19-13_001.png

Hikaru (CV: Marina Inoue) – A young girl dressed in a modern school uniform. By the looks of it, this ruined area of Tokyo feels completely different. She seems to have an interest in the Samurai main characters, but what is her real intention?

Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV_2013_04-19-13_002.png

Fujiwara (CV: Junpei Morita) – A man wearing a modernistic outfit, with a fashionable jacket, tee, sunglasses and hat. With a coffee cup and a cigarette in his hands, he seems like a sort of laid back kind of guy, but not an ordinary person. He seems to be acquainted with Tsuigihagi, but their relationship is wrapped in mystery.

Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV_2013_04-19-13_003.png

Tsugihagi (CV: Kazuhiro Yamaji) – A man wearing a militaristic outfit and holds a large Japanese sword. You can see his skin is patched here and there with scars. You could say it’s proof he has gone through a gruesome battle, but…
prfirm

Unread postby Qpo » 26 Apr 2013 08:47

Qpo

Unread postby movie » 03 May 2013 04:03

Demon Growth, Whisper Events, Digital Devil StreetPass Card Exchange, and Challenge Quests video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6a-RwG2u1o

Barrows the Fairy, Digital Devil StreetPass Demon Growth, and Samurai Missions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dNhtlZYXQ
movie

Unread postby movie » 06 May 2013 12:20

movie

Unread postby ksevcov » 10 May 2013 05:48

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/07/i- ... tensei-iv/

Shin Megami Tensei IV won’t come out until May 23 in Japan and July 16 in North America, but we got an early glimpse of the game. Atlus showed Siliconera an English build and I got to play Shin Megami Tensei IV from the very beginning, where the protagonist is floating in vortex.

If you have the 3D slider on, the hero hovers above the swirling blue background, but doesn’t pop out of the screen. That said, Atlus poured on the 3D effects with a flying logo, and even the health & safety warning pops out of the screen (it’s written on a scroll). A booming voice tells you the choices you make will effect not just you and asks for your name. By default, the protagonist’s name is Flynn so I went with that.

The vortex sucks Flynn, and he awakens in a city covered in flames. The scene is reminiscent of other Shin Megami Tensei titles and another voice instructs Flynn to run over. You can explore the city, but there isn’t anything to see other than burning cars and a glowing white presence ahead. The figure talks about fighting and then says that, now that Flynn has arrived, he can take form.

The presence turned out to be Walter, one of the samurai in Shin Megami Tensei IV. After conversing with Walter, Flynn is whisked away to a desert-like area. A stone head and another glowing entity lie ahead. A gentle voice says, “Good, now I can take shape, too. I prayed and waited longing for the day you would come.” This character is Jonathan, who has the opposite vibe of Walter. “The two of us are going to make a world where the peace we know today lasts forever.”

As indicated by the game’s box art, the contrast between black and white is a prominent theme in Shin Megami Tensei IV. Good and evil. Jonathan and Walter, perhaps?

Another figure then comes into view—a fuzzy image of a girl. This character, simply called “Girl,” asks Flynn to revive her. The image looks like a deteriorated oil painting and with that, Flynn is back in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado. Isshachar greets Flynn and talks about the Gauntlet Rite. People that graduate from the ceremony become full fledged samurai.

Shin Megami Tensei IV has event scenes similar to Fire Emblem: Awakening or Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey with character portraits on top of text. Atlus added zooming effects, so sometimes Issachar’s face will fly towards the player and other times the game will zoom out to show Isshachar again.

Players can explore the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado through menus similar to Devil Survivor or Etrian Odyssey. Residents in Mikado are split into two classes—the Luxuror and Casualry, essentially the haves and have-nots. You can visit the Casualry residences or head straight to Aquila Plaza to begin the Gauntlet Rite. Eager to become a samurai (and venture into dungeons), I went straight to Aquila Plaza. When Isshachar and Flynn arrive, another person is going through the ceremony. He fails to become a samurai and complains that the rite is just for show anyway. Isshachar says farewell, but tells Flynn they will always be friends.

The camera then switches to a first-person view as Flynn walks towards Hope. The 3D effects are strong as the camera rotates showing the stone statue and then pans on the masked crowd.

Now, Flynn has a choice to extend his arm out to see if the Gauntlet accepts him or to not do so. Curious to see if the game would end if Flynn decided not to partake in the Gauntlet Rite, I chose to not extend. That just ticked off the ceremony head who forcefully grabbed Flynn’s arm and put the Gauntlet on. At that moment, Flynn became a Samurai.

I fast-forwarded to the first dungeon, Naraku the Hall of Flame. Shin Megami Tensei IV has 3D dungeons similar to Nocturne. The L and R shoulder buttons control the camera and you use the analog stick to move around. Dungeons have objects to interact with, like points Flynn can jump from and tunnels to crawl under. These have contextual controls like pressing up to leap and down to crawl.

Enemies in Shin Megami Tensei IV appear on-screen just like the Persona games. If you press Y, you can swing your sword and strike demons before a battle begins. Similar to Persona 4, the sword tip has to hit the cuboid demon figure, otherwise the enemy team gets the first strike.

While Shin Megami Tensei IV has some features that make it more welcoming, Atlus did not dial down the difficulty. Regular enemies in the first dungeon can annihilate your party if they exploit weaknesses. The press turn system rewards ally demons and enemies with an extra attack if they hit you with a weak point. New for Shin Megami Tensei IV is a “smirk,” a buff you get after exploiting weaknesses a couple of times in a row. A smirking demon gives that demon a guaranteed critical hit on their next turn, which means they also get an extra press turn, too. Furthermore, monsters in the first dungeon like the Griffon can attack twice, and you don’t start out with a healing spell either.

Flynn can learn new skills through the Whisper system. When demons level up, they can pass skills down to Flynn. You can pick and choose skills like Bufu and Dia if you can add Napaea the nymph in your party. You have to negotiate to get demons to join your party in Shin Megami Tensei IV and each conversation has three options. When I asked if the Griffon would join my team, he asked Flynn to extend his arm and also had a joke choice. I agreed to do so and the Griffon asked if Flynn was scared to die. I passed this question, too, but I had to give the Griffon macca (money) and then a life stone (healing item)… and then more macca.

Griffon still didn’t join, but he gave me a life stone back. Other times negotiations are even less successful, because if you pick the wrong choices, the entire team of enemy demons will attack without mercy. The good news is that if you talk to a demon that you already have in your party, you can end a fight right there and possibly get an item as a gift.

There’s another way to avoid fights in Shin Megami Tensei IV—you can simply run away from demons. Flynn doesn’t have much trouble outrunning demons on the field, at least in the first dungeon. I figured out weaving from side to side really throws demons off. In the first dungeon, I also discovered a tunnel and crawled underneath a space to find a relic called “Deep Green Moss,” which could be sold back in town. Mikado has barracks you can rest at and recover your party for free, a blacksmith that sells weapons, and an expensive item shop.

I used my football running skills to get to the boss, which is shown on screen as a pink entity. In battle, that turned into the Disaster Horde, an army of reaper-like figures. My team was Flynn with Bufu (ice) and Needle Shot (gun attack), Centaur with Life Drain, Fuxi (a creature from Chinese mythology) with Zan (force), and Napaea who had Dia (healing magic). I tried using elemental spells first until I found one that the Disaster Horde was weak against and kept using that.

While I managed to have one demon smirk, Disaster Horde killed Napaea, my only healer, in one hit. Ouch. Without any Revival Beads, I had to carefully choose my next moves and rely on the small stock of medicine in my inventory. Needle Shot did more damage so I used that, which has a 3D blood splattering effect. Spell effects are more prominent in Shin Megami Tensei IV. Zan wraps an enemy in a tornado and Bufu freezes the screen. With a little luck, I defeated Disaster Horde and obtained an item that proved Flynn was worthy of being a samurai.

Jonathan and Walter were also vying for the same item, but Flynn got there first. I ran back to Mikado and Hope congratulated Flynn on retrieving the item. One quest complete, but that’s just the beginning of Shin Megami Tensei IV.
ksevcov

Unread postby movie » 17 May 2013 14:00

movie

Unread postby ksevcov » 22 May 2013 05:18

ksevcov

Unread postby Bread » 13 Jul 2013 22:24

Screens and info about the Tokyo area in the game:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/12/sh ... ach-tokyo/

smtiv_tokyo_01.jpg
smtiv_tokyo_01.jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 29221 times

smtiv_tokyo_02.jpg
smtiv_tokyo_02.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 29221 times

smtiv_tokyo_06.jpg
smtiv_tokyo_06.jpg (35.53 KiB) Viewed 29221 times

Mikado, of course, is just one kingdom, and Shin Megami Tensei IV would hardly be an adventure if Flynn and the others didn’t venture outside of the tiny castle. While you’re in Mikado, the game usually has you select where you want to go from a menu—you don’t walk around the streets yourself and see the wonders of your surroundings, which is a bit of a disappointment.

You can talk to the people by selecting them from the screen, and they appear as sprites in front of you. Meanwhile, in dungeons such as Naraku or the forest outside of Mikado Kingdom, you walk around as Flynn, interacting with the world around you through climbing, crawling, and whacking enemies over the head with a spear or sword.

All of this changes once you reach Tokyo, which is where the game really takes off.

In Tokyo, you don’t have a clean menu to select your destinations from. Tokyo is a deserted urban forest of crumbling buildings and puddles of miasma, roaming with Hunters out for themselves and a few ordinary people struggling to survive. Here, in no-man’s land, you move from area to area as an icon on a large map. The icon moves quickly, and you aren’t locked to a grid. Locations are marked, as are relic gathering points and points of interest.

Enemies also appear on the map, and they will chase you if you get too close. Unfortunately, because you’re just a small person-shaped icon, you don’t have a weapon to hit the enemy with, so you’ll have to rely on luck and hope that they don’t ambush you.

Once you reach an area on the map that you can enter, you then switch to the third-person view that we’ve seen, and run around as Flynn. This is how you’ll be doing the majority of your exploration. These areas that you run around in can’t strictly be classified as “dungeons” either. They’re streets. They’re dilapidated apartment buildings. They’re offices. They’re communities with people trying to rebuild their lives. Effectively, Shin Megami Tensei IV combines the idea of dungeons and regular areas to explore in Tokyo, and this is where the game really shines.

Taking advantage of or overseeing the people of Tokyo (depending on how you look at it), in one region are gangsters, armed to the teeth with firearms. In another, people have decided to live out “survival of the fittest” with religious zeal, with only the strong able to enter their community. Tokyo is still separated into many regions and is referred to as such. It doesn’t seem like there’s a detailed map of Tokyo provided with the game, so you’ll probably have to pay attention to the region names as they appear on the bottom of the screen. These names will be important for quest locations, since certain enemies and items only appear in designated places.

These quests, too, add to the atmosphere of Shin Megami Tensei IV, as people begin asking for items like meat or light bulbs for electricity. Sometimes, you can cooperate with the Hunters to take out a dangerous demon. Relics become more common, as household items can be picked up and sold at stores since they’re in such dearth.

On the map, because your goal is to simply “explore and search,” there isn’t a designated target location, and this very much enhances the feeling of exploration, albeit in a rather depressing environment. You have a large area to travel around in before you hit roadblocks, and even these are placed rather far away. You could go north into a desert-like area, or you could head south and west into swamps that will poison you and more urban scenery filled with demons.

Once you reach these areas and switch to Flynn in third-person, the web of usable paths is fairly extensive, and there are many treasures to loot and places to see. Sometimes, Flynn will even come across a hubbub of people, such as in Ueno or Shinjuku. You’ll travel through just like through any dungeon, so you can fully experience the atmosphere, and again, this is Shin Megami Tensei IV mixing the concept of a dungeon with a regular area. You’ll even find Bars where you can heal or check up on quests, stores to buy items and weapons, and a Terminal, with which you can travel instantly between locations and Mikado.

Back to the map. The map is huge. Furthermore, on the map, rather than physical boundaries, you’re more likely to be hindered by the limitations of your party. The enemies start becoming stronger and stronger in certain districts, and after a while, it’s just smarter to turn back. Alternatively, you could even just train in these areas rather than avoid them, if you’re feeling daring.

Tokyo has such a different feel, not only in its dark, dreary design, but also with its lack of boundaries. While you are still being watched over by the Priests back in Mikado, such a tenuous link hardly feels real. Tokyo becomes accessible about 1/10th of the way into the game, so luckily, you won’t have long to wait until you can begin exploring it.

Of course, there is an ultimate reason you’re in Tokyo, but that would be giving too much away. What’s important is that you are in Tokyo, and there is no one there with you except your fellow Samurai and your demons. You’ll need to fend for yourself.
Bread

Unread postby ksevcov » 05 Aug 2013 06:27

ksevcov

Unread postby Sparkster » 16 Jun 2016 07:47

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final E3 2016 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkazX7U2PCw
Sparkster

Return to Games