default header

Theory

Insomnia on Twitter

Moderator: JC Denton

Insomnia on Twitter

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Mar 2013 19:54

How about this idea: a Twitter account that posts quotes from Insomnia -- both from the frontpage and the forum. Here are some sample tweets:

[SF4] is everything that the SF2 games were NOT — slow, defensive, tactically degenerate and just ugly enough to make your eyes bleed.

If I gave a shit about "S-ranking" shit I'd still be playing Donkey Kong, loser.

[Metagame-haters] are a fagotistical subspecies of aspie -- fag-aspies, in short -- since pure fags don't play games like LoL.

Etc. etc. I am sure that if we mined the entire site we'd end up with the awesomest Twitter account ever outside of accounts that post quotes from Nietzsche or Baudrillard or whatever -- and certainly the best videogame-related Twitter account ever.

Would anyone be interested in helping on this? We could have a thread where people post quotes, and then I'd add them to the Twitter account once a week or something. And every quote would come with a link back to the page where the comment was made. I think it would create quite a stir in the videogame "Twitterosphere" and provide us with some extra laughs and some more attention to the site.

Or would all the fag comments get the account banned by Twitter?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Mar 2013 19:56

I'd link it off the frontpage sidebar and it would provide a fun way to delving back into old articles/threads and a great starting point to exploring or re-exploring the site.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Mar 2013 20:34

The tagline would be "The No. 1 art criticism and theory publication in the world -- with zero competition." This will also be the first tweet. I'll take a nap and then I'll make it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby David » 03 Mar 2013 20:41

I'd be interested in helping. The character limit is going to be an annoyance, especially with also wanting to provide a link back to the original page. That Street Fighter quote, for example, will exceed the limit once you add in the article URL.
David

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Mar 2013 20:46

Jeez, is it really so small? That would rule out most of the quotes I have in mind. And can't you shrink down the url or something? I've seen people do it. Insomnia urls are huge.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby David » 03 Mar 2013 21:36

Yeah, Twitter automatically shortens them and counts them as 20 characters. The total character limit is 140.
David

Unread postby ingolfr » 04 Mar 2013 11:02

For quotes that don't fit you could use sites like twitlonger, though they usually aren't as shared as regular tweets.
ingolfr

Return to Theory