default header

Games

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [PS3] [VAR] Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [PS3] [VAR] Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Unread postby dinopoke » 27 Feb 2013 08:48

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -announced

Hotline Miami creator Jonatan "Cactus" Söderström has officially revealed a sequel to his award winning colourful killing spree simulator.

The announcement came over Twitter where Söderström said, "Working while listening to the sweet tunes of a preliminary Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack that we've put together during the weekend."

When asked if by "we" he meant himself and Hotline Miami guest composer/indie game developer Jasper Byrne, Söderström clarified that he was simply referring to the studio, Dennaton Games.

"Music wise I'm not sure for the second game yet," he said. "Last time we had nine different musicians doing the soundtrack. Looks like a couple of them might do more tracks for the sequel, but we've been looking at some other bands as well. Want to keep it fresh."

Previously Söderström said in an interview with Eurogamer that Hotline Miami's DLC would be "about as long as the full game." We asked if this DLC had been expanded into a full, standalone game, to which he replied, "Yeah, it seems like it will end up bigger (in terms of the number of levels we've got planned) than the first, so it feels reasonable to release it as a full game rather than a DLC."

It may not be out for awhile though as Söderström added, "We've barely begun working on it though, still got things we need to patch with the first game, so that's the main priority right now."
dinopoke

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Feb 2013 14:39

Oh, I hadn't realized Cactus had made this. Looks like he got tired of his absurd stick-figure-starring toddler games and sat down to do some real work and make some money. Good for him! One thing that puzzles me is his name, though. Is Söderström a common Swedish name? Because the dude who wrote Insomnia's Limbo review has the same name:

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/xbox360/limbo/

I can't imagine that a relative of Cactus would review an "indie" game for Insomnia, but still.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 28 Feb 2013 02:25

Both söder (south) and ström (stream) are extremely common in surnames, but while I don't remember seeing this pairing before (it's likely strongly linked to a region), there are 8389 people with the name Söderström in Sweden, so they are probably not closely related.
Qpo

Unread postby dinopoke » 18 Apr 2013 17:16

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/hotli ... -of-early/

The sequel to Hotline Miami tackles the more touchy-feely aspects of the early 90s, Dennaton Games duo Jonatan Söderström and Dennis Wedin tell Joystiq at GDC. The gameplay will stray in a few different directions, with parallel plots built around the first game, and more attention on emotional experiences.

It's planned for PC, although Abstraction, the company currently porting Hotline Miami to Vita, can now work on the sequel's port "right away," Wedin says. Dennaton is in talks with Sony, but if all goes well the sequel may ship day-and-date on PC and Vita, Wedin and Söderström say. Devolver Digital is on tap to publish again, and Dennaton is still talking with them, too.

"They've been super nice," Söderström says. Wedin chimes in, "They let us do whatever we want."

The protagonist of Hotline Miami – Dennaton is cool with the name "Jacket" – has a minor part in the next game, but he won't be a playable character. The music will feel familiar, too, with a few bands recycled from Hotline Miami and some new groups, but no original score.

If any of that is unsatisfactory to any fans of the series, chill out – the sequel is lucky it even exists, at least right now. Söderström and Wedin both wanted to work on a brand new IP, but they couldn't stop talking about Hotline Miami, so they decided to finish that project first. This sequel marks the end of Hotline Miami for Dennaton.

"It's the grand finale, for us," Wedin says.
dinopoke

Unread postby Bread » 22 Jun 2013 23:55

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - Teaser Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIgabcx-9Q&sns=em

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06 ... ng-number/

hlm22.jpg
hlm22.jpg (176.43 KiB) Viewed 6486 times

hlm23.jpg
hlm23.jpg (146.62 KiB) Viewed 6486 times

“I think we felt that during the development of the first game, we came up with a lot of cool backstory and ideas for the universe, but we didn’t use them,” he told RPS. “So we always felt like we wanted to do one more game, because there were a lot of cool characters and ideas we didn’t get to explore. I know Cactus has made a lot of [smaller, experimental] games, but we just had a feeling of doing something awesome and really creative for ourselves. So we decided to keep doing it.”

But Wedin was making some big promises – for instance, increased focus on environmental diversity/storytelling and events that evoke emotions beyond feeling awesome or disgusted – and I didn’t really see those things in the demo. I mean, I guess environments looked to have been crafted with a bit more of an eye for detail, but I’ll need to see more to really appreciate it. Honestly, I’d be even more skeptical of this one’s chances if it weren’t Dennaton at the helm. I mean, highly linear stories with overt references to videogame fans and things of that nature? In anyone else’s hands, that would be a recipe for overly-meta, “wink-wink nudge-nudge” disaster. Cactus and Wedin, however, have most certainly earned the benefit of the doubt. And, to be frank, what I saw did look really great. Just more like Hotline Miami 1.5 than 2.
Bread

Unread postby ksevcov » 25 Feb 2015 20:41

http://gematsu.com/2015/02/hotline-miam ... 10-release

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number will launch for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, PC, Mac, and Linux on March 10, Dennaton Games and Devolver Digital announced.

The computer version will feature a “Digital Special Edition,” which includes the game and a six-song remix EP. Both the standard and special editions are now available for pre-order across Steam, GOG, and Humble. Pre-orders include a 10 percent discount.

Here’s a summary of the game, via Devolver:
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number is the brutal conclusion to the Hotline Miami saga, set against a backdrop of escalating violence and retribution over spilled blood in the original game. Follow the paths of several distinct factions – each with their own questionable methods and uncertain motivations – as unforeseen consequences intersect and reality once again slips back into a brilliant haze of neon and bloodshed.

Dennaton Games and Devolver Digital have also partnered with Overkill Software to introduce new Hotline Miami 2-themed masks and a “Jacket” character pack for Payday 2 free to consumers of the PC version.
ksevcov

Return to Games