default header

Games

[PS4] [ONE] [PS3] [VAR] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Moderator: JC Denton

[PS4] [ONE] [PS3] [VAR] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Unread postby JoshF » 02 Sep 2012 15:59

Metal Gear Solid gets the free-roaming treatment.

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4daA1-XET_k

Sorry about the IGN video, but the official one I saw ends with Snake getting spotted not long after it switches to play footage. Anyway, this looks pretty amazing.
JoshF

Unread postby knecht » 08 Sep 2012 02:17

It looks fantastic. I haven't played any games in the series since Metal Gear Solid, but this one has definitely caught my interest. It seems like this kind of game (free-roaming, densely packed with detail) would suit Kojima just fine. This one is on my watch list now.
knecht

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Sep 2012 20:35

The term "open world" is banned in this forum until someone can show me why we should be using it. There is a thread in the theory forum for that. So post accordingly, because I already had to edit both the above posts, and it's getting tiresome.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Dolt » 26 Feb 2013 23:51

Paraphrases of snippets of translations of interviews held with Kojima in Dubai:

http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=4571

Metal Gear Solid 4 had long cutscenes because it needed to close the story and explain everything. For Ground Zeroes, a new method of story telling will be used, and Kojima thinks players will really like it.

The player will have the freedom to do what he wants and get the story events in the order he wants based on how he has chosen the missions. At the end however, the player will receive the message as Kojima originally designed and intended it, without change.

From Saudi Gamer

Kojima said he believes story telling through cinematics has become a bit outdated, and therefore he used a new method of story telling for Ground Zeroes.

When asked about The Phantom Pain, Kojima laughed and said that while he sees the resemblance, it is being made by Moby Dick Studios, and that he has nothing to do with it.

He also said he is working on Ground Zeroes and ‘a few other titles’ in which he is involved in the script writing and the game design.

From Youth Arabia

Kojima believes that with evolving technology, we will eventually reach a stage when gameplay rendering quality will have the same standard as movies. However, aside from just creating better cinematics Kojima wants to create new gameplay mechanics as well, that will make players feel like they are playing a movie. He added that he can’t get into more details at the moment, but that next generation it will become more clear what he means.

As for Ground Zeroes, Kojima couldn’t say anything about when we can expect the game, but he did say everything is on schedule.

Another interview:

http://spong.com/article/29050/Kojima-M ... -of-Taboos

Responding to a question about the maturity of the video games medium, Kojima said that the industry "has not matured very much in the last 25 years. [The subject is] always about killing aliens and zombies! Not that I have anything against these kind of games - they're fun - but I think games have a long way to go before they mature.

"Over the past 25 years, I have tried to work with the Metal Gear series to try and introduce more mature themes," he added. "But really, it hasn’t happened yet, compared to movies or books. There's still has a long way to go."

Then he opened up about his next project. "That’s precisely what I want to try and tackle with my next project, Ground Zeroes. I’m going to be targeting a lot of taboos, a lot of mature themes, that really are quite risky. Honestly, I’m not even sure if i’ll be able to release the game!

"And even if I did release the game, maybe it wouldn’t sell, because [the themes would be] just too much. But as a creator, I want to take that risk." He noted that his role as both creator and producer has led to some conflict of interest when developing the next title. "As a producer, it’s my job to try and sell the game. But I’m approaching this project from the point of view of a creator, where I’m prioritising creativity over sales."

With a chuckle, he joked, "It’s very possible that some time in the future after Ground Zeroes is out, I may be called up by management who will say, 'Kojima! What are you doing? Ground Zeroes isn’t selling! What have you done?’ And at that point I’ll [hopefully be able to] say, ‘Don’t worry! [Metal Gear] Rising is selling well!’"
Dolt

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Jun 2013 23:52

The Wikipedia page of Ground Zeroes has been merged with that of MGS5, and the following text has been added:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is a composite of two previously announced Kojima Productions projects.[7][8][9] The first is Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, a FOX Engine tech demo shown at the Metal Gear 25th Anniversary Party on August 30, 2012.[10] The second is The Phantom Pain, which was shown as a trailer at the Spike TV Video Game Awards on December 7, 2012, presented as an original title by fictional developer Moby Dick Studios without the Metal Gear Solid branding.[11] On March 27, 2013, the true nature of these two projects was revealed at the Game Developers Conference, where Kojima announced that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes serves as a prologue to the main story, The Phantom Pain, and these two titles form one whole work.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear ... und_Zeroes

Still, I am hesitant to merge the two threads, because if it turns out that they are not one title, it'd be a bitch to separate them again. So I am going to wait until there is some more recent solid evidence that they are one game. Ground Zeroes wasn't shown at E3, was it? If so, that's a good sign. But I'll wait a little while longer, perhaps for a box shot of MGS5 or a more recent, unequivocal statement by teh Kojima, before I do anything drastic.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 04 Nov 2013 20:50

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes confirmed for standalone spring 2014 release.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/43 ... 4-release/

Shaun Prescott wrote:Konami has confirmed that Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will release as a standalone game in spring 2014

Described as a prelude to full sequel Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Ground Zeroes is said to serve as an introduction to its open world gameplay and systems.

Ground Zeroes will focus on an infiltration mission set in a Cuban prison camp, as depicted in this Tokyo Game Show video. It will also feature "a large open environment, and missions where time of day and weather have a dynamic effect on the game and its missions."

According to Konami, Ground Zeroes will bridge the gap between previous Metal Gear instalments and The Phantom Pain from a narrative perspective.

Boxed PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Ground Zeroes will retail at £29.99/€29.99, while the digital versions will retail for £19.99/€19.99, Konami has confirmed. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One digital versions will retail for £29.99/€29.99.

mgs51image_311190_fit_940.jpg

Designer Hideo Kojima said in a statment: "The advanced capabilities of the FOX Engine have allowed me to tell the new story in a new way.

"There will be a significant difference in what Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain brings to the series, so we want to ease players into the new open world environment and its potential.

"As such, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes has been designed to introduce key elements, allowing them to fully benefit from all that the new game will offer."

While Ground Zeroes has been confirmed for a spring 2014 release window, no such confirmation was provided for The Phantom Pain.

Kojima last month pointed to the possibility that Metal Gear Solid V will support second-screen features. "Metal Gear Solid 5 will have many more elements that aren't limited to one console," he said. "You'll be able to play the game on whatever you want, whenever you want."

mgs52image_311192_fit_940.jpg

mgs53image_311186_fit_940.jpg

mgs54image_311187_fit_940.jpg

mgs55image_311188_fit_940.jpg

mgs56image_311189_fit_940.jpg
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Nov 2013 21:49

Sounds to me like Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, which isn't getting its own thread in this forum. Then again, Ground Zeroes will probably have a much longer playtime, plus we already have a separate thread for it, so for the time being I am keeping the games separate.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Texas » 17 Feb 2014 18:56

Spec and screenshot comparisons between the different platform versions have been released: http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/compare.html

The PS4 version will be displayed at 1080p, compared to 720p for the Xbox One version.
Texas

Unread postby Texas » 20 Feb 2014 00:25

Video comparison of all versions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXrGQ4zG5pw
Texas

Unread postby Some guy » 14 Mar 2014 19:20

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes: Conversations With Creators: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEFGCmGO7mU
Some guy

Unread postby Some guy » 18 Mar 2014 17:56

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/03/met ... aunch.html

Launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eioh1UMvY4

Special Ground Zeroes trailer shows new gameplay elements

Konami Digital Entertainment has released a new trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ahead of its physical release for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation® and Xbox 360.

The new footage showcases vital new additions to the series, offering a tantalising glimpse of the game’s new open-world environment, the stunning weather effects, and the improved AI the game enjoys. All three things are brought into play via Kojima Productions’ stunning FOX Engine.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes takes place in 1975 and acts as an introduction to the forthcoming Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. It focuses on the legendary Big Boss – a stealth operative - as he infiltrates a secret Cuban prison base called ‘Camp Omega’ on a rescue mission. Alone behind enemy lines, the game reveals a total freedom of movement within its missions, with users choosing how they engage guards, the route they pick, and which prisoners they rescue.

Ground Zeroes’ open world and many possibilities encourages the player to revisit its content again and again to discover its secrets and features an online global ranking system where players can compare their achievements against others. It also has unique second-screen elements, via the free iDROID app which allows users to sync maps, summon air support and use found cassettes on a linked iOS, Android or Smart Glass system.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes has been hailed as one of the key games of 2014. Scheduled to be released on March 21st priced £29.99 in both physical and digital forms for PlayStation 4 and XboxOne, and £29.99 for the physical PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 editions or £19.99 for digital versions.
Some guy

Unread postby El Chaos » 24 Mar 2014 16:49

Face-Off: Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, a quad-format comparison of the Fox Engine in action: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... s-face-off

Thomas Morgan wrote:As an early example of how the Fox Engine is refreshing the Metal Gear Solid series, it's hard not to come away impressed with this Ground Zeroes prologue. The PS3 and 360 releases buckle under the weight of its new-found ambition, with general performance lurking in the 20-30fps range, but on the whole the game is still fundamentally enjoyable as an open-world action game. Visually it's tie between these two older platforms down to the smallest details, though in the end the 360 does hold at the 30fps target more convincingly when stressed - making it the recommendation in this particular head-to-head.

As for the PS4 and Xbox One releases, Kojima readily concedes that having started development on earlier platforms, the game "might look a little behind" titles created specifically for newer hardware. Even so, the generational leap brings with it boosts to texture quality, much improved accuracy to lighting and shadows, and a curtailing of the pop-in we see on the memory-limited PS3 and 360. But chief among the advantages here is a committed approach to hitting 60fps on both platforms, where performance is hitch-free during all our tests. So determined to hit this figure without a drop, in fact, extra effects such an 80s-style movie filter were seemingly dropped mid-production, having proved too much of a drain on resources - even for these newer systems.

But the king of the roost is most certainly the PS4 version, with its slick 1080p presentation marking a clear lead over the maximum 720p possible on Xbox One. The atmospheric rendering for skies is also a welcomed, if subtle extra on PS4 - the ramifications of which aren't fully fleshed out for single area demonstrated here. With no PC version in sight for the moment, this is clearly the way to brace yourself for the full Phantom Pain package due late next year.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ksevcov » 06 Oct 2014 18:40

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/metal-gear-s ... s-dated-pc

Sal Romano wrote:Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will launch for PC via Steam on December 18, Konami announced.

The PC version will be 4K compatible and feature an increase in the number of simultaneous light sources, the number of models that can be displayed on-screen, and increased shadow resolution.

The Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain prologue first launched for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in March. It is set in 1975 and centers on Big Boss as he infiltrates a secret prison base called “Camp Omega” in Cuba on a rescue mission.
ksevcov

Return to Games