PlanetSide 2 (2012)

[PC] [PS4] PlanetSide 2

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [PS4] PlanetSide 2

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Sep 2014 14:05

Also, this. Just in case Payday doesn't pan out for tonight, and in general because it can probably be played with any number of players from two upwards, which is good both for when we have fewer than four, and more than five. It's not nice to have to leave people out of the game when we have more than five, so this game will hopefully solve that. (And it's different from something like Killing Floor which requires the exact same six people every time, and hence cannot be played without prior arrangement.) And hey, it's free so why not. Just start downloading asap because it's 10 gigs (15 uncompressed).

Never played an MMOFPS before, so I am curious to see how it works. Hell, I haven't played an MMO since Ultima Online in the '90s lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Sep 2014 14:13

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Outfits

PlanetSide 2 Wiki wrote:Outfits

Outfits are the "guilds" or "clans" of Planetside 2 and play a very important role in each and every battle. Outfits can range from a small group of friends, to medium sized group that specializes in specific roles such as infantry, air, or rapid response teams, to huge gaming communities that can field multiple platoons of hundreds of players. While the motto often holds true: "Size. Always. Matters.", playing with even a small outfit can be an incredibly rewarding experience. Always remember: the whole is always greater than the sum of its parts!

Why you should join an outfit

Planetside 2 is a team-based game. This means that most of the features and "fun" of the game will not be achieved without being part of a team. Just trying to join a squad in-game is not always promising since many squads are dysfunctional and without communication. An outfit allows you to have a group of players you can always run so your only focus will be killing the enemy.

Features of an outfit

Outfits have ranks for outfit members that are separate from the in game ranks. These are by default: Recruit, Private, Member, Officer, and Leader. Each rank gives outfit members different permissions for organizing the outfit. Outfit badges, specialized decals for outfit members, are expected to make a comeback from Planetside 1 but have not yet been implemented. More outfit specific items will be sure to come in the future.

Well organized outfits also tend to have a dedicated voice chat server, which is always extremely useful. The in game voice chat service is less than adequate.

Below is a compiled list of outfits operating in Planetside 2. Active Members are based on in game outfit members.

How to add your outfit to the list

To add your outfit to the list, go to the page for your server and follow the instructions there.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Sep 2014 22:16

By the way, The Hanged Man says that the game is not available on Steam for his region, which is Russia, so if you are in the same region, or in another region that doesn't have the game, you can download it directly from the official site and it'll work: https://www.planetside2.com/register
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Somali Pirate » 26 Sep 2014 00:22

We're playing right now, we got 4 people already and a 5th on the way (mothman spirit). Drop in any time you want, just come onto Mumble and talk to us.
Somali Pirate

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 05:06

Just got done playing for 4+ hours with Masa, SP, THM, mothman and recoil. The game is way more fun than CS and Payday and any other shooter I've played in ages. I think THM recorded a video we'll put on YouTube tomorrow. It's hard to describe all the stuff going on in the game, but every single extra squad member counts, because the bigger the squad the bigger the kinds of assaults we can organize. There's a strategic map on which you capture bases along a war front, but it's hard to keep moving forward while at the same time defending your existing bases when you only have five or six people. Nevertheless, we still managed to capture two or three bases and hold on to them for a while. At one point we were rolling on a base with three tanks in total. There's quad bikes and armored trucks that hold 12 people and function as mobile spawn points, and fighter jets and gunships that we still haven't figured out how to properly fly. It's like the vehicle sections from Halo but with far more players and vehicles. And it looks and sounds great too.

In short, we need more players, so download the game and jump in. It would be awesome if we could field a 10- or 15-player squad at some point.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 06:07

By the way, we played a bit more Payday today, and got to the second level which was a bit crap. So right now this is how I would rank all the FPSes we are playing:

Payday: The Heist ***
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive ****
PlanetSide 2 *****

I wanna keep playing all of them, but focus on PS2 whenever we have more than five people.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 06:22

lol I know I said we don't read guides, but this caught my eye on the PS2 community page, and in any case it's not applicable to us so there's no harm reading it.

Leading a Public Squad
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =122325380

It's a must-read if you want to understand the difference between how randoms play the game and how clans do. Hilarious too.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 06:53

Forgot to add L4D and Killing Floor:

Payday: The Heist ***
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive ****
Killing Floor ****
Left 4 Dead ****
PlanetSide 2 *****
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby CTF » 26 Sep 2014 11:38

Looks cool. I'm downloading this right now, I will join you guys next time you play.
Last edited by CTF on 26 Sep 2014 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
CTF

Unread postby Somali Pirate » 26 Sep 2014 12:25

As a general suggestion, I wouldn't mind starting playing earlier like 20PM or 22PM UTC. It also would be easier for The Hanged Man, and maybe other Euros could join us too.
Somali Pirate

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 14:37

I can't usually make it that early on a weekday, but as long as you have 5 players or so you can start without me and I'll jump in when I am ready. We should play on the weekend, however, when most people can make it the entire day. We have a Gears game scheduled with recoil this weekend, but I think he would agree that we can push it back to another time. I think we could get 10+ people easily on the weekend, so report in this thread if you are in and start downloading the game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 15:09

If you are a non-subscriber who is reading this and would like to join us for this game, subscribe while entering "PlanetSide Platoon Promo" in the note you will send me along with your two preferred usernames, and I will refund you 10 of the 35 euros of the fee. I really want to get a platoon going in this game, and I just googled it to find out what exactly it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platoon

Wikipedia wrote:A platoon is a military unit typically composed of more than two squads/sections. Platoon organization varies depending on the country and the branch, but typically a platoon might consist of fifteen to thirty soldiers.

And this is what a company is:

Wikipedia wrote:A unit of several platoons is often called a company.

My hope is to one day aim for a company, a company... of heroes!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 26 Sep 2014 15:30

I'm installing the game right now.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 15:36

Welcome aboard!

Also, me to Qpo via email:

I wrote:You should join us for PlanetSide when you can. I hope you are not mad at me for screaming at you the other day. I am sure I overreacted, but it had to be done. It was also because I was already pissed off at infernovia. But seriously, you gotta try PlanetSide. It's the FPS version of PA, you are gonna fucking love it. I can see why The Realm guys have these two as their main games -- you can fucking play them forever, and the more people you have the more fun they are. I want to make you and recoil squad leaders, so jump in when you can.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 15:53

Qpo is in too.

Qpo wrote:How you describe PlanetSide sounds fucking awesome. I can't play tonight or tomorrow, but as soon as I sober up on Sunday I'll be coming online to try it out.

infernovia should also jump in when he has the time, and jeff should buy a fucking PC at some point and join us. Can't you trade in the Mac or something dude? It's useless for games.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 26 Sep 2014 16:21

icycalm wrote:We have a Gears game scheduled with recoil this weekend, but I think he would agree that we can push it back to another time.

I am willing to push back Gears to another time. It would be fun to see the clan take multiple bases in a coordinated and efficient blitzkrieg. Let's make this happen.
recoil

Unread postby ChevRage » 26 Sep 2014 16:48

I'm free this weekend and I'm downloading the game now. It'll be nice to finally play with you guys.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 17:02

Welcome aboard!

So far I count, in the order that they enlisted:

icycalm, Masahiro9891, Somali Pirate, The Hanged Man, mothman spirit, recoil, void, CTF, Some guy, Qpo and chevvy.

void (cephissus on Steam) joined via Steam chat last night. Texas also said he'd join, but he apparently has exams or something on Monday and doesn't seem very enthusiastic about the game, so he might only have said yes because I was nagging him, so I am not counting him until he says otherwise.

So we got 11 people right now, assuming they can all make it at the same time on the weekend. We are still playing with anything more than 5 though, so I expect we'll be playing almost 48 hours on the weekend.

Keep signing up, guys. We need at least 15 people before Wikipedia will acknowledge that we are a platoon. Make Oliver Stone proud!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 17:27

I think we will need to use two channels on Mumble when everyone is playing. It would be extremely difficult to communicate when we have 10+ people and half of them are engaged in a forward assault while the others are defending a base. Plus there will be all the audio noise from people with inferior headsets or in noisy environments. It snowballs the more people you have, and I imagine that at 10+ people it will deafen us. Maybe we should move to a push-to-talk system to mitigate it. Qpo says that that's what the pros do anyway, so we might as well get used to it.

Say we are 11. That means two squads of 5 plus me, who will be jumping back and forth between squads depending on the situation. One squad would be led by Qpo and the other by recoil. When one of these is missing from the roster we will have backup leaders. I'll set everyone's rank according to my experience with them in FPSes, but things aren't that simple because leadership is not the same thing as shooting and dodging skill and I went to engineering school not West Point. It's awesome though that a game would make you think of such things. Why are the artfags not talking about these feelings?

So ideally we'd have two Mumble channels and there would be an easy way for me to jump between them without tabbing out of the game, hopefully by a button press.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Steven Berg » 26 Sep 2014 18:19

I don't think I'll be able to play this weekend, but I'm going to download the game and join next time.
Steven Berg

Unread postby Texas » 26 Sep 2014 18:30

I am interested, but I'm not available this weekend because of exams.
Texas

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 18:42

Ok guys, we'll have a well-oiled war machine ready for you to join when you can.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby danjiro » 26 Sep 2014 19:35

I'm definitely up for playing. I already have the game from when I used to play it a while back with a small group of friends, but this sounds amazing. I should have time this weekend to jump in.
danjiro

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 26 Sep 2014 19:45

I definitely want to play too. I was trying a few workarounds to get it playing on my Mac last night, but no luck. As soon as I have a PC I will be hoppin in with you guys.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2014 20:40

feelingbetter is also on a Mac, and he's playing Destiny on the PS4, so he should be into this at some point if he gets a PC. But keep trying to figure out a way to make it work on a Mac. It'd be great to have two extra players.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Online