Planetary Annihilation

[PC] [MAC] Planetary Annihilation

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby theiban » 24 Jan 2015 00:01

This Sunday I'll be ready to WAR.
theiban

Unread postby Agentx » 24 Jan 2015 01:18

I should be on for Sunday, assuming I don't sleep in. It'll be early Monday morning for me so it should be a matter of breaking out the alarm clock. Certainly a different way to start Australia Day, lol.
Agentx

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2015 16:55

We ended up playing two 5v5s with AC (won one, lost one), and one 5v5v5 with AC and BRN (killed one AC and one BRN commander and were the second team to be eliminated). So, a lot of fun overall, despite some early technical issues that are now resolved. Here's the raw stream: http://www.twitch.tv/insomniacult/b/616049524

I apologize to everyone who showed up and didn't get to play, or who didn't play enough, but it was a combination of the other clans not having enough players and my wanting to have the best players on our team so that we could give them a decent fight so that they'd want to play with us again. Some of our guys consistently have 30-something APM, and you just can't fight platinum and uber players with that kind of laid-back pace to the game. When we play internal matches I can divide these players between two teams, to balance the match and make it fun for everyone, so y'all are welcome to join those, but as long as the other clans keep throwing more experienced players at us, I'll have to keep sending the best players I have available at any given moment.

But what I am planning to do for the next such session is try to have everyone playing at the same time. If 30 people show up next time (entirely possible, since we had 12 at some point yesterday, and I still haven't got onto Mumble most of the 25+ people who joined the clan recently) I'll pick the 5 or 10 most experienced ones to fight the clans, and then the rest can play large team games between them. And if we are doing decently against the clans at some point, we could throw ONE low-APM player per match against the clans, if we are doing, say a 7v7 or an 8v8, so they too can get a taste of what a huge match feels like.

Also, maybe some people want to think about trying their hand at casting? As long as you enjoy panning around the system and prattling on for half an hour at a time, you might as well give this a try. This is especially important in large games, because the more players in a game, the less of the match any single player will get to see, so the stream of his POV will not be as exciting to viewers. You really need someone to pan all over the place and point out where the major battles are happening. I think even the worst caster imaginable would give a better stream than a single player in an 8v8 or 5v5v5 game, especially if it involves multiple planets. So think about giving this a try. I have a feeling Robby will be especially good at it, because he has an agreeable voice and is quite a chatterer. Two casters would be better than one, like Zaphod and Marshall do it, so let me know whoever is up for trying this.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2015 17:05

Also, can someone post this in the PA thread for me, please?

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/sett ... min.67384/

icy says: "With more clans taking part, as in a 5v5v5v5 format, or with even more of them, there will be less chance of anyone getting sandwiched, and the team FFA matches will be fairer for everyone. So, on the one hand we want these large FFAs, and on the other hand we want large team matches between two clans, as in 6v6s and 8v8s and so on. We just need to figure out a way to have everyone who shows up playing all the time, or at least most of the time, so that they don't get bored and leave. We'll set up 2 servers if necessary.

Meanwhile I am hustling more and more players into Cult, to make sure we can have plenty of people to play any number of big games simultaneously. We had 12 players in at some point yesterday, and I've signed up 25+ new members over the last 3-4 days. I simply go on PA Stats, find people's accounts on Steam (especially easy if they have unusual usernames), friend invite them and then tell them about the clan. It's tough work, and you have to weed out a lot of inactive players and asshats, but you can make your clan as big as you want as long you don't mind doing it. And a lot of those people end up loving the team-oriented voip-enabled side of the game, once you show it to them. You are not merely spamming them, you are doing them (and the PA community) a favor.

http://www.pastats.com/players

So pull as many people as you can, grow your clans, and let's play more of these big team games that are the high point of PA, imo."
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 26 Jan 2015 17:25

I posted it for you.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jan 2015 02:13

If we can get 10 players in this weekend, I'd like to try casting an internal 5v5. And if Robby wants to join me, we could try a double cast. So we'd need 12 players in all, including me and Robby. I think we could swing it. Worst comes to worst we can cast a 4v4 or 3v3, but obviously a 5v5 would be best.

I think I am the only person who runs the game on Uber with all bells and whistles including full supersampling (Robby, if he wants to do it, won't need to have a powerful machine since the video will come from my computer; he won't even have to setup streaming: all he'll have to do is be in the Mumble channel with me). I'll try to find how to add a custom starfield too, and all the mods that make the game look better.

We'll go live on Twitch and then post the video on YouTube and in the clan's thread in the PA forum. We can keep trying too until we get an exciting match (but all our big internal matches tend to be exciting).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 29 Jan 2015 02:31

I'm down to play at any time on Sunday.
recoil

Unread postby ChevRage » 29 Jan 2015 10:44

I'm in. Can join whenever on Saturday and about 18:00 UTC Sunday.
ChevRage

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 29 Jan 2015 10:47

I'm in. I think Ecaxas runs the game on Uber, too.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby Some guy » 29 Jan 2015 15:23

I'm in too, Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon/evening work best for me.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jan 2015 10:41

Given the developments in the Cosmic War format, we MIGHT have a battle or two to resolve on Sunday, but then again we might not. So there's no point arranging a time, or even a day, to play right now. Just go online whenever you want to play, and play with whoever else is online (though, from now on, you should try to be in the same team with your faction teammates, as much as possible, in order to learn to play together better, as long as this doesn't completely unbalance the match you are about to play, given the available opponents. You could even play with your faction teammates against AIs, since we'll be using them in the Cosmic War format a lot.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 17 Apr 2015 16:45

If anyone is up for some warm up matches, I'll be online this Sunday at 7PM UTC.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Apr 2015 21:05

I'll be there, but much later than 7PM, because my sleep schedule is totally fucked now. I will probably also be online same time on Saturday. In short, I will be online a lot over the weekend, but at different, screwed-up times, and I'll play with whoever is around.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 19 Apr 2015 04:16

I might be able to get on. Would love to hear your guys voices again.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby recoil » 20 Apr 2015 06:03

I played a handful of ranked 1v1s and some team matches with infernovia today. I got my ass handed to me in the ranked matches, but managed to pull a single victory because my opponent had to leave, lol. I fared much better with infernovia and we had an epic annihilaser win in a 2v2v2 match.

Hope to see more of you online!
recoil

Unread postby infernovia » 19 Aug 2015 16:04

Anyone want to play this Saturday? I should be free till 10pm UTC.
infernovia

Unread postby recoil » 20 Aug 2015 05:57

I'll be up around 8PM UTC to get a few matches in.
recoil

Unread postby infernovia » 23 Aug 2015 00:11

That was some fun games! The first was a 2v2 and we raced to get the catalyst up. Right before we finished, we got invaded through orbital. It would have been really close if we could figure out how to get the last catalyst up, but it did not allow us to build it. So we just got crushed.

The last game was a 2v2v2 and it was excellent as well. We started between two teams so we decided to go orbital early to get to the moon and the gas giant. We just barely got our commanders out of there before the enemy team rolled through our base. Luckily they let us have the gas giant and the moon uncontested. We rolled back in with titans and crushed both teams.
infernovia

Unread postby Some guy » 21 Nov 2015 21:35

So I haven't been able to play this game for months due to an issue with my old laptop and no-one on the PA forums could figure out what the problem was (https://forums.uberent.com/threads/blac ... ger.68528/)

Now I finally have a new Laptop ad the game runs great on it so If anyone wants to start playing this again just message me on Steam!
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jul 2017 20:51

clans_logo_3_v2.png

Clan Wars #2 will take place on Saturday 10PM UTC, and we will need once more all the players that we can get. Don't worry about lack of experience: merely showing up and putting your commander on the planet will help us out. You could even leave your computer on for a couple hours and go watch TV or something and you would still have helped us out a great deal (not to mention the prestige involved in being one of the bigger clans in the community). So practice as much or as little as you want -- or not at all, even -- but show up if you can, and help us out.

gmase, a Platinum-ranked player from Spain who used to play with us in the olden days, is also back and has said to me that he might be able to play. So I am hoping we'll get a good sized team and have another awesome game.

Also, from Discord:

I wrote:We need to cast Clan Wars #1 because I don't have a video to link off the new site
It was a mistake to not make a POV video, and I will not repeat that mistake
So, I need some people to join me so we can chat while we watch the replay, and I'll put that up in the site
We don't have to comment about the action a lot, because that would be boring compared to the live cast
Let's make it a Cult discussion about what we did right or wrong, how to improve, our clan background and philosophy, etc.
That will be interesting to people to hear even without the action
So we should be able to produce something that will be interesting even to people who watched the event live, or participated in it

I wrote:I think the best time to do the casting is Saturday afternoon
I will be online playing from 5PM UTC
The match starts at 10
I will be practicing for 5 hours with whoever wants to join me
Sometime around 6 or 7PM I will do the casting if I can get at least 2 people to join me on it
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 01 Aug 2017 02:58

I'm in for casting and Clan Wars #2.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Aug 2017 15:09

dan confirmed he'll be there starting 6PM, for practice. So it's me, recoil, Robo and dan for sure so far.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Aug 2017 17:32

I decided to use Marshall's cast on the site, after all, so we won't need to do the casting, and can just play the whole time.
icycalm
Hyperborean

PreviousNext

Return to Online