default header

Games

PS4|PC Death Stranding

Moderator: JC Denton

PS4|PC Death Stranding

Unread postby Sparkster » 16 Jun 2016 07:36

http://www.ign.com/games/death-stranding/pc-20047135

IGN wrote:“Metal Gear was an action game,” Kojima tells IGN, “but it was an action game where you happened to be hiding. There was no genre for that back then, and now it’s classified as a stealth game. In that regard, Death Stranding will also be an action game, but I want to make something new, something different.”

Kojima has said before that Kojima Productions’ upcoming project, revealed on Monday during Sony’s E3 2016 press conference, will appeal to fans of “AAA titles such as The Division and Uncharted.”

“People that play [action] games will be able to pick it up easily,” Kojima tells IGN. “After that, like 2-3 hours into the game, they will start feeling like, ‘okay, this is something different, this is something new.’”

"...so many things are connected..."

While Kojima didn’t dive too deeply into what this means for Death Stranding’s gameplay, he did reveal some details about the game’s themes.

One of the key things evident from Death Stranding’s E3 2016 reveal trailer is “the idea of life and death being connected to each other,” according to Kojima.

“Animals are connected with each other, people are connected to each other, so many things are connected,” Kojima tells IGN.

But it’s a short story by Kobo Abe that Kojima points to as a way to explain one of Death Stranding’s strongest themes.

“In this short story, Abe states that the first tool mankind created is a stick,” Kojima tells IGN. “He states that the stick is the first tool that mankind created to put distance between himself and bad things — to protect himself. He states that the second tool mankind created is a rope. A rope is a tool used to secure things that are important to you.”

Kojima points to the umbilical cord in the trailer, and the rope-like “umbilical cords” hanging from the actual title of the game.

...there are other “small messages” hidden in the trailer.

“Most of your tools in action games are sticks,” Kojima continues. “You punch or you shoot or you kick. The communication is always through these ‘sticks.’ In [Death Stranding], I want people to be connected not through sticks, but through what would be the equivalent of ropes… But of course you will be able to use the sticks too.”

How this idea manifests in-game remains to be seen, but Kojima says there are other “small things and small messages” hidden in the Death Stranding trailer.

Reveal Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC19PWQN6Hg
Sparkster

Unread postby Amor fati » 02 Dec 2016 20:31

TGA 2016 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LGoIk8oILE

Looks interesting.
Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Feb 2017 17:28

Added to Most Wanted section. I don't like what I've seen so far, but it's a Kojima game, so one must have faith.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 08 Dec 2017 06:36

ChevRage

Unread postby Adjudicator » 08 Dec 2018 02:15

A recent podcast by Dan Fogler has revealed some information, while he interviews the game's lead motion capture actor Norman Reedus. A Reddit user transcribed the relevant part of the interview (beginning from the 1 hour 10 minutes mark to 1 hour 15 minutes).

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/a3ptio/dan_foglers_podcast_with_norman_reedus_interview/eb8oji3/

Dan Fogler: …Tell me about this video game.

Norman Reedus: Death Stranding?

D: Yeah.

N: Oh, it’s nuts.

D: You showed me a trailer for it and it just blew my mind, man. So it’s all motion capture, obviously.

N: It is, yeah.

D: Do you like doing that?

N: I’ve never done the kind that I’m doing on this, this is a whole ‘nother level, and I’ve been in a lot of video games, but nothing like this. And Guillermo Del Toro, he just wrote me – he and Hideo and I were supposed to do a different game, and that game kinda fell apart, because Hideo and that company kinda fell apart. It was Kojima and Konami, they kinda broke up in Japan and Sony picked up Hideo and he started his own thing at Sony. So we started this other one, Guillermo is like, “You should do this,” I was like “What is it?”, he was like “You should do this.” Then I met Hideo, he took me to the Video Game Music Awards, right. And he comes walking down the steps, and the steps are lighting up underneath him, y’know, he’s like “I’m back!”, and then 10,000 grown men, with tears in their eyes, are screaming like Elvis just walked in, and I’m like “Who the fuck is this guy?” He’s like a genius, and then you talk to him and you’re like “Oh, you are a genius.” He would actually be great to direct with movies because you’ll say “Y’know, maybe I should do it over here, like this?” and he’ll go, “Hmm, why don’t you add this on top of it?” So he doesn’t go “No, no, no, I see it that way,” whatever you bring to him, he just adds a couple more ingredients. He goes “Well, try that then,” and you’re like, it’s even greater.

D: Wow, that’s like Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory, man.

N: Yeah, his explanations of stuff, the way his mind works, he’s the real deal genius for sure.

D: So can you talk about the theme of the video game? Like what’s the storyline, can you talk about any of that or what kinda character you play?

N: It’s not the kinda game where you kill everybody in the room. It’s a game of bringing people together. How you play it, is you’re building bridges from here to there, and other people are doing the same, and you connect, and the character that I play is, he’s got this phobia of being touched, and as you play the game the phobia leaves you. It’s complicated but once you’re in it, it doesn’t seem as complicated. It’s constantly surprising you with decisions left and right, and what comes at you, and it’s a real brave game. It’s visually stunning, and the story behind it, it’s a whole ‘nother level, y’know. It’s not Pac-Man, it’s not simple, but the philosophy behind it is one that everybody can get.

D: When is it available, it’s still in development?

N: I think it’s gonna be early this coming year, I have three more [mocap] sessions here in New York starting next week.

Norman Reedus' quote gives indication that the game is expected to be released in early 2019.

I find the part about the lead character having a phobia of being touched which leaves you as you play the game intriguing. It implies that this will be some kind of mechanic used to guide and/or railroad the player through the game.
Adjudicator

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Dec 2018 02:52

I don't follow the news about the business managers who run these divisions, but I can tell that whoever's in charge of Sony's exclusives has taste. They pick stuff like this and Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-Man, while Microsoft picks crass has-beens like the later Halos and Gears, and farms them out to unrelated developers moreover, once even their creators have grown sick of them and want nothing more to do with them. What are the chances that these unrelated devs will feel as passionately about the properties they've been handed as Kojima and Sucker Punch feel about about the projects they themselves dreamt up? It doesn't matter how much money you throw around if you lack the taste to pick your targets well, unless you have enough money to buy EVERYONE up, including Sony lol, which even Microsoft doesn't seem to have. Maybe they will some day, but for the time being the nuclear option is not on the table, so for the time being Sony's superior exclusives will remain a huge draw because of their superior taste.

Can't wait to try this game, even if it sucks. And anyway, when was the last time anything Kojima made sucked? Even those daft Boktai games were said to be decent, last time I checked.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Adjudicator » 09 Aug 2019 13:47

Death Stranding is no longer listed as a PS4 exclusive on PlayStation regional official sites.

Death Stranding fans are worried over its removal from a list of PlayStation exclusives
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... exclusives

Tom Phillips wrote:Death Stranding, the next game from Metal Gear Solid maker Hideo Kojima, is no longer listed as a PlayStation exclusive by Sony - and this has gotten fans in a flap.

The upcoming title - which Kojima recently declared to be the first in a whole new genre - has been removed from PlayStation.com's list of exclusives. The move appears to confirm a leak earlier this year which mentioned an upcoming PC version of the game - from the same source who named Death Stranding's 8th November release date before it was made public.

So, what's going on? Has PlayStation suddenly lost an exclusive? The answer's no.

Despite helping fund Death Stranding's development, and despite it being built on Sony studio Guerrilla's own Decima game engine, the original deal for the game was only ever for the exclusive console rights.

An informative FAQ on the deal, dated December 2015, was posted to Medium by PlayStation community manager Pad Poet - but this has mysteriously been deleted. Luckily, an archived version still exists.

In the blog post, Death Stranding is repeatedly referred to as a "console exclusive", but there's also a straightforward answer about a PC version:

"What other platforms will Kojima's first independent title be available on, besides PS4?" one question reads. The answer: "The title is planned to become available on PC (after PS4)."

"How long is the exclusivity?" the follow-up question asks. "We are not disclosing details," is Sony's reply.

"Will Kojima's second title (and beyond) not be PlayStation console exclusives?" another query probes. "We announced an agreement regarding Kojima's first title, and SCE cannot comment on titles beyond that," is the response.

Whether this Q&A was ever meant to remain public or not, the answers are there from 2015 - and there's nothing to suggest anything has changed.
Adjudicator

Unread postby Adjudicator » 05 Oct 2019 09:14

New cinematic trailer "The Drop" released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyH4KQGehtg
Adjudicator

★★ Death Stranding (2019, PS4)

Unread postby Insomnia » 07 Jan 2020 11:05

Review (2/5): https://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=7193

Insomnia wrote:We should have never doubted Konami. He burned through countless millions making an unfinished game that was MGS5 and now has delivered a literal 40-hour fetch quest.
Insomnia

Unread postby Discord BOT » 07 Jan 2020 23:18

CULT|Beakman
"We should have never doubted Konami. He burned through countless millions making an unfinished game that was MGS5 and now has delivered a literal 40-hour fetch quest."
Cannot agree more. The mess that Death Stranding is was foreshadowed by MGS5.

CULT|icycalm
It was still a reasonable bet to back him
I would have, as an investor
Being a genius at his level confers a lot of creative capital that doesn't get depleted by one half-finished, perhaps mismanaged game
Having said that, I would have demanded to see the game at all stages of development and I would have pulled funding a long time before release

CULT|Beakman
More or less that's probably what MGS5 development history looks like.

CULT|icycalm
I think that given how many masterpieces Kojima has given us, we owe him to pull back some punches at this point
Of course, that doesn't mean that companies should bankrupt themselves over it
Just don't call him a "hack" as I have seen so many people do
When I say "you" I mean people in general

CULT|Beakman
Right. I still have hopes that this will be a wake-up call for him.
(And maybe for Konami as well, since they're pretty much in the ditch).
Originally posted in the Insomnia Discord.

Insomnia Discord bot powered by proprietary next gen next level neural networked quantum learning self aware AI developed by Cult Games.
Discord BOT

Unread postby ingolfr » 14 Jul 2023 02:29

Kojima recently appeared on the NHK show GAME GENOME to discuss Death Stranding. It was partly inspired by his own experience as a deliveryman in the mountains.

GAME GENOME: Deep Dive with Hideo Kojima
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... eo/5001382

Half a century since the birth of video games, we explore how legendary titles have shaped our ideas and created a new culture. "DEATH STRANDING" won new plaudits for its uncanny predictions of our experiences during the pandemic. Program guests share their love for the game, and why it's captivated so many. Renowned developer Hideo Kojima guides us on a deep dive into his creation and explores his inspiration and motivations. A special, expanded episode with new footage in response to the reaction to the original broadcast.

And here's a short clip from the show where the host points out references to other games in Death Stranding, which Kojima confirms were intentional: https://twitter.com/naven0m/status/1673123229702197248
ingolfr

Return to Games