default header

Cosmic War

Cosmic War discussion REBOOT

Moderator: JC Denton

Cosmic War discussion REBOOT

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Dec 2016 11:45

So I am back and I am making this happen. I have had a lot of time to think on how this could be made to work, and I now see that our original ideas and also our thoughts on implementation were all misguided. It was very wrong to try to come up with a fully-developed turn-based metagame from the get-go. It was akin to designing Civilization lol; of course we were going to get bogged down and abandon the project. What we'll do instead is jump right in, with next-to-zero rules, and build the game up slowly from there. This is how it will go.

1) I pick a Commander for myself (that no one else will be allowed to use, ever), and a ready-made system, and declare it my own.

2) I then wait for someone to pick another Commander and challenge me for the system.

3) We wait a few days to see if other people step in to offer to ally with me or with the challenger, and then we play out the fight.

4) The winners get the system, and the losers are kicked out of it.

5) Once kicked out, they choose another ready-made system to flee to, or they could split up, going in different directions, and therefore to different systems that they themselves choose. In this way, we don't have to spend weeks designing the galaxies: we will shape them on the go, and everyone will have a say in how they are shaped, since everyone will be picking the systems that they flee to.

6) Once all the losers have decided where to flee, the winners get to move and challenge someone. In this way, the "prize" is the systems. This is essentially our ranking tool: which faction owns the most and coolest systems. And of course we can have 1-on-1 challenges for the leadership of a faction, betrayals, and so on. And if someone comes up with an interesting-sounding rule for the turn-based phase, we can try them out and test them one by one -- but the barebones game I am suggesting more than suffices to keep us playing for years. Instead of the stupid 1v1 rank that's just a number, the factions in Cosmic War will be compared by the size and beauty of the territory that they own: much like the Empire in Star Wars is the coolest faction because it owns everything. Dirty rebels lol.

My only problem is that the cosmicwar.pa domain is still not available, but it might be going on sale in January. If not, I will use cosmicwar.net until the .pa domains go on sale. And in any case, I need at least a couple of weeks to get Orgy and Insomnia updated before I can play any game whatever. But I'll start work on the CW blog immediately (it will be a WordPress blog so it won't be much work) and post news about that soon.

Exodus events have fizzled out and there are lots of people in the official forum who are complaining about being bored with 1v1s, so I am sure that once I launch the blog it will become popular.

I'll be back with more details, but in the meantime post here if you are interested in joining and let me know your thoughts in general.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 22 Dec 2016 12:31

I am definitely interested in joining. I haven't played this game for ages so I'll be very rusty but I have a way better laptop now that can handle much bigger systems.
Some guy

Unread postby danjiro » 23 Dec 2016 18:44

You can count me in. It sounds extremely interesting.
danjiro

Unread postby infernovia » 24 Dec 2016 06:21

I am in. Sounds fun.
infernovia

Unread postby Agentx » 24 Dec 2016 11:13

It will be good to get back into it, I will definitely need to familiarise myself with the new Titans content.
Agentx

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Dec 2016 11:56

When coming up with the factions, the essential thing is as close to equality as possible. So in three factions I would divide us as:

icycalm
agentx

danjiro
Some guy

infernovia

infern is probably the best 1v1 player among us, and that's why I put him alone. Plus he played 28 hours of Titan while the rest of us essentially haven't touched it. Still, he couldn't take either of the other two factions alone, so a more equal distribution would be in two factions like so:

icycalm
infernovia

danjiro
Some guy
agentx

I think this would give us some pretty contested battles regardless of who won. So if no one else joins, I say we go with this option. But I am hoping more people will join before the opening battle. Personally, I'll be ready to play in about two weeks. I am waiting for a new laptop to arrive, plus I need to get the sites restarted, and then I'll be ready to play.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 24 Dec 2016 19:58

I'll join in.
recoil

Unread postby infernovia » 27 Dec 2016 09:25

Awesome! Really looking forward to this. Haven't touched the game for ages.
infernovia

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Aug 2017 11:36

This is finally going to happen, probably this week, if not indeed in the next 48 hours at some point. Most of what I said in the OP applies, but not all. We are starting with the minimum amount of rules and only two players/faction leaders -- me and recoil -- plus one caster, fighting it out in the CULT home system (ground zero as it were; the center of the universe lol) and after the first battle, and the first blog/lore update, we will develop it further in terms of players, systems, rules, etc. From Discord:

I wrote:re: Cosmic War
Robo is tying up loose ends in Insomnia Legion
I want to start the Cosmic War -- the REAL thing -- the moment he is done with it
It's me vs recoil, with dan casting
or Robo, if his connection works well that day, because sometimes he can only stream at 240p (edited)
So first we wait for Robo to finish his work, and when he says he has finished it we play at the first available opportunity
If on Saturday we don't plan any League games, we could play several Cosmic War games back to back

I have a lot of ideas for rules, but I am not going to bother laying them all out as before, because that's boring. I will be revealing them one by one the moment the need arises for them to come into play, and whenever I get stuck on something I will explain it here and people can try to help me solve it.

So we are all waiting on Robo now. Currently he is making the Cosmic War emblem, and then he'll get back to getting the mod ready for prime time.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cosmic War