Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution (2011)

[PC] [MAC] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Mar 2017 17:53

Qpo has been streaming on his channel [ > ] and the game looks good. Like really, really good. Nothing at all like what I imagined it to be, and I am so sold on it, and also by reading his ruminations on his forum [ > ], that I decided to jump right in with him, and fuck playing the series from the beginning. The new game is also right around the corner and looks frigging fantastic, so I am gonna play as much of 2 as I can with him until 3 drops, and then, if he moves on to that, I'll move with him.

The game supports up to 3v3, so whoever's interested is welcome to jump in, and we need as many people as we can get so we can be playing all hours of the day, just as with PA.

Not sure what DLC/mods we need to have installed to play what Qpo plays, so hopefully he'll tell us. I think he plays Retribution though, so whoever's going to be buying this, buying everything is your best bet. Otherwise wait for Qpo to advise you what you'll need.

Really excited for this. I'd play right now if I didn't need the sleep.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 16 Mar 2017 18:19

First you need Retribution. Then you need the Elite Mod which can be found over here:

https://dawnofwar.info/

They just released 2.6.1 and the download link on the frontpage isn't updated yet. You can find it in the forum: https://dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3018
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Mar 2017 18:58

I wonder if it can take advantage of 4K. I have a 43" 4K TV in a box right now. Got it last week for the PS4 Pro. In a game such as this it can be a huge advantage.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Mar 2017 01:31

Played a couple hours with Qpo and THM until we beat the computer on Hard at 3v3. An Expert win eluded us, and the one game we played against people we got wrecked.

I like the game. It's far simpler than I imagined, to the point where the tactics in PA are hugely more complex than what's available here, but if you want quick 15-20 minute games, and a change of pace and scenery, etc., this one does a good job. It's much like Halo Wars 3v3 or AirMech 3v3, but somewhat more complex than those. Its major draw are the unit designs and weapon effects and animations. The environments are okay to decent to bah, but the units are top notch.

The way I see it, if we have three people we play this, if we have four we play For Honor, and if we have five we play PA -- as long as enough people get this, of course. And though granted this game's quality is nowhere near For Honor's and PA's, the sequel that's coming out in five weeks looks much closer to those games in quality, so at that point I would definitely like to make that game the third main VS MP game we play (and Tiger Knight the fourth, when I get some time to dive into that and see if it lives up to its hype and recommend it to people).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Saf » 04 Apr 2017 21:06

Is it worth playing the campaign for this game (two player co-op) or are we just jumping right into VS modes? It sounds like you guys did.
Saf

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Apr 2017 22:50

I've no idea if this particular campaign is worth playing, but I am planning an article where I urge people to play the campaigns before they delve into the MP. I ruined For Honor's campaign by doing the MP first, and now the campaign feels too easy and lifeless to me because MP people are 100x harder and more fun to fight. I am hoping I can get Qpo and others to finish the campaign of Dawn of War 3 first before playing MP.

However, if you are planning on joining us for 3 on the 27th, you might not have enough time to finish Retribution's campaign AND play a significant amount of MP.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Saf » 05 Apr 2017 01:48

I agree with that mindset, which is why I wanted to ask. I don't think I'll be ready to jump in by the 27th anyways as I'm properly moving a few days before then and won't have a decent computer for a few weeks at least.

From what I've read online now the campaign is pretty good, so this is my call out to anyone who would like to play it with me (as mentioned the whole thing is two player co-op).

The campaign begins in the base game, with Chaos Rising and Retribution having their own campaigns that act as sequels. So I'd like to start with the base game and go through all three if possible.
Saf

Unread postby Qpo » 06 Apr 2017 19:48

I'm also looking to do the campaign first in Dawn of War III. If you guys are up for it I'm prepared to vow "No rest for the righteous.", i.e. first break comes after campaign is finished and no sooner. (Note that I have not an inkling how long it is.)

Related to this game:

http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=28478#p28478 (warning for some story spoilers in the in-depth discussion of this topic)

I wrote:I eventually managed to find the original version online and the campaign is much better. Units have lower health so the action is better, the superior pacing makes it feel more like an actual war campaign (without being grindy), and all the cutscenes the "abridged" version cut out creates a different and better story.

The campaigns of the two expansions are much shorter and not as fun. I speculate they cut down the original campaign to match them.

I sound negative above but I still liked the expansion campaigns and with co-op you'll get an even better experience than I did.
Qpo

Unread postby alastair » 07 Apr 2017 02:41

Hey Saf, I want to play the campaigns too. If you'd like to play with me, I should be able to make time to play whenever you want to, though I'm most flexible on the weekdays.
alastair

Unread postby Saf » 07 Apr 2017 03:46

alastair, sounds good. I'm free Tuesday onwards and as we're in the same timezone, finding a time to play should be easy. I'm usually on Discord so you can message me there to hash out exact times and stuff.

Qpo, you said you found the original campaign online, is it a mod or something we can use? It sounds like we're better off playing that version.
Saf

Return to Online