default header

Games

[PC] [ONE] [PS4] Far Cry 5

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [ONE] [PS4] Far Cry 5

Unread postby icycalm » 09 May 2017 20:52

Rumor: Far Cry 5 set in Wild West 19th Century [Kotaku: Montana, can't confirm rest]
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1370895

So a first-person RDR, just like FC2 was a first-person GTA of sorts. Ubisoft does what Rockstardon't.
Last edited by icycalm on 06 Mar 2018 00:28, edited 4 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 May 2017 17:25

Oh, someone on NeoGAF says they are live action.

Also saying you get to be a modern-day cop here. If so, great idea. Finally the Police Quest sequel I've been dreaming of since Police Quest.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 May 2017 15:09

Added to Most Wanted section.

I wrote:The world's premier free-roaming FPS franchise sets its iron sights on right-wing American nutjobs.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 May 2017 15:41

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1380717

sjay1994 wrote:Far Cry 5 Announce Trailer

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdaoe4hbMso

Nick Rye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9wCR1dezsc

Pastor Jeffries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWQKZGHSdrE

Mary May: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFHPq84iB0

Details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FBiqKCH-bY

Release: Feb 27th 2018

Some details from Gamespot

It's the first Far Cry game set in America.
It's also playable on PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio.
You can play the entire story solo or in two-player co-op.
You play as the new junior deputy of fictional Hope County, Montana, players will find that their arrival accelerates a years-long silent coup by a fanatical doomsday cult, the Project at Eden's Gate. Protagonist is customisible meaning you can choose gender and skin color
Villians name is Joseph Seed
You can fly planes and take part in aerial dogfights.
Vehicles include American muscle cars, ATVs, boats, and big rigs.
Weapons include guns, grenades, sledgehammers, and baseball bats.
You can recruit other people to fight for you.
You can also recruit animals like bears and cougars.
There is a map editor that will have "new features that add a new dimension to the content created by fans".
PS4 players are getting a free Far Cry 5 skin pack at launch.
Ubisoft Montreal is leading development, with support from Ubisoft Toronto, Ubisoft Kiev, Ubisoft Shanghai, and Ubisoft Reflections.

Full Cover Artwork:

q3dxc6cqpigna5jvuvnb.jpg
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 27 May 2017 11:52

http://www.pcgamer.com/far-cry-5-will-s ... e-comments

Andy Chalk wrote:A listing for Far Cry 5 that's popped up on Steam has revealed that it will support two-player co-op action against cult leader Joseph Seed and his siblings, the Heralds. And unlike Far Cry 4, where co-operative play was limited to side quests, Ubisoft said the two-player action in Montana will be available across the entire campaign.

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/552520/Far_Cry_5/
earthboundtrev

Unread postby icycalm » 29 May 2017 05:53

I vow that by February 27 I will have finished and fully streamed all Far Cry games on the hardest difficulty settings, and reviewed them, and pre-ordered 5, and be ready to play it and stream it on the hardest difficulty on day 1 in co-op with someone.

Let's see how that goes.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 May 2017 12:12

For lack of play footage and more details, we might as well read this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 ... rous-game/

Erik Kain wrote:A Historical Hot Take

Over at Vice's Waypoint blog, Ed Smith opines that Far Cry 5 should tackle Montana's "history of violence and greed." By that he means the history of the Gold Rush and clashes with Native Americans that took place over a century-and-a-half ago. Here's Smith:

Ed Smith wrote:But Far Cry 5, by virtue of being set in Montana, has the chance to be a lot more cohesive. Central to the gold rush and the western expansion of the US, the Canada-neighboring state represents, historically, both an appetite for more and its pernicious effects—precisely what Far Cry has struggled to convincingly criticize.

After gold was discovered in Grasshopper Creek, in 1862, the Montana Trail was created and emigrants flocked to the state and surrounding areas. Encapsulating the pursuit of wealth and its pernicious effects, the gold-rushers inevitably clashed with the Shoshoni tribe. The Bear River Massacre, in Washington Territory, ended with the deaths of almost 250 Native Americans. From discovery, to destruction—something Far Cry's been doing for nearly a decade.

Setting aside the fact that the Bear River Massacre took place in what is present day Idaho, the real issue I have with Smith's argument is that it assumes the only issues worth addressing in modern-day Montana are those in its distant past. Is this merely on account of it being a rural Western state?

If a video game was set in modern-day Florida, for instance, should it address the Trail of Tears? Should it cope with the "history of violence and greed" that led to the evacuation of the Cherokee people under Andrew Jackson? Maybe that's what the plot of Scarface should have been. Should Grand Theft Auto IV have dealt with the history of New York's tribal people? Games can address historical injustices, of course. But that's a narrative decision that should be made with purpose, as it was in Mafia III, which dealt with racism and segregation in the South.

There are interesting ways that Native American history could be tied into a modern game about Montana. Like many states out West, there are Native American reservations scattered across the Big Sky state, and there's a long history of conflict between the US government and Native tribes. Indeed, even in modern times we can see how the US clashes with Native people, like in the Keystone pipeline standoff (though that also didn't take place in Montana.)

Including Native characters in the game and touching on subjects like government overreach, private property, and US/tribal relations could be very interesting. I'd love to see Far Cry 5 tackle issues that aren't black and white, such as religious freedom vs state control. Take the Bundy standoff in Oregon or the Keystone pipeline protests, or the Wounded Knee incident back in 1973, or the Waco siege in 1993. These conflicts are all complex, perhaps too complex for a AAA video game about shooting things.

Regardless, there are plenty of current issues that would make more sense in a game like Far Cry 5 than the "history of violence and greed" that Smith bizarrely attributes to Montana, as though simply by virtue of it being a more rural state it owns the historical sins of the nation.

Besides, if we want to make a game about the history of Manifest Destiny in America, let's make a game about that---not just force that history into a game about something else entirely, simply because it takes place in a rural Western state. The history of atrocities against Native American people is hardly unique to Montana, after all.

The Amerocentric Hot Take

Brian Crecente's hot take over at Polygon begins with a very nice written description of Far Cry 5's box-art, but quickly moves into a confusing jumble of thoughts that never quite coalesce into a tangible point.

Crecente worries that merely by shining a light on an extremist militia-cult in this type of game we make light of it and ultimately help to normalize the extremist far right.

Brian Crecente wrote:There is a danger, I think, in empty-hearted ploys to attract attention by courting the extremes. Not a danger of action, but of thought and the way we view the world around us. Extremism, if designed simply as a colorful backdrop, can become normalized.

Put another way: When the worst fears born of cults, militia and extreme views of Trump’s America become little more than an entertaining playspace for the latest video game, perhaps its time to reconsider how we judge entertainment.

While this argument is similar to the ones people often make about video game violence (that it normalizes real world violence, which I find utterly specious) what really confuses me about Crecente's post is the glibness with which he excuses the same thing in the past two games:

Brian Crecente wrote:Far Cry 5, I’m sure, will be just as fun to play as its predecessors, which dropped people, armed to the virtual teeth, in lush shooting galleries set in the Tibetan mountains, African plains and tropical islands. But with those games, Ubisoft didn’t need to cloak its gameplay with the emotional turmoil of American extremism and modern-day politics. The games were simply interesting diversions that gave players the ability to ignore or embrace their stories.

I take this to mean that African civil wars (Far Cry 2) and the issues of third world islander people (Far Cry 3) or the fate of those suffering at the hands of cruel despots (Far Cry 4) in the Himalayas are all "interesting diversions" devoid of "emotional turmoil" whereas things only get real and dangerous when they take place in the US.

That's an oddly Amerocentric way of thinking.

Why is it merely diverting to set a game amidst the blood and chaos of foreign conflicts but setting it here in the US is an "empty-hearted ploy"?

I'll leave it to you, dear readers, to explain that to me.

That's all for now.

For the time being, two hot takes and two counters should suffice. We'll see more, and perhaps I'll tackle those when the time comes.

There are plenty of other reactions out there. I've seen a number of people on Twitter and forums, as well as in blog posts, upset that the game is taking fire at Christians and conservatives, and I think that's as silly as any hot take on the market.

This isn't a game about Christians or conservatives at all, it's about extremist cult members whose brand of Christianity is hardly mainstream and whose doomsday political beliefs are well outside the American conservative tradition.

For those on the right who worry about this and are threatening to boycott the game, lighten up. Unless you're a crazy murderous extremist you should be all in favor of a game that portrays the perversion of Christianity as a bad thing.

For those on the left excited to take on "Trump voters" it's time to grow up. What else can I say?

That's my hot take, and I'm sticking to it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 15 Nov 2017 07:51

Far Cry 5: Recreating Montana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d9cu_dmQ0c

http://blog.ubi.com/far-cry-5-hope-coun ... e-montana/

Mikel Reparaz wrote:Far Cry is as much about capturing natural beauty as it is about explosive mayhem, and with Far Cry 5, the bar for re-creating the wilderness is especially high. Unlike the fictional Kyrat or Rook Islands, Montana’s forests, farmlands, and highways will feel familiar to a lot of players – and that means the developers needed to accurately capture every detail, from the wildlife to the logos on roadside shops to the bark on trees, to make Hope County feel like a convincing place.

“We needed to change the way we prepared ourselves,” says Isaac Papismado, graphic assistant on Far Cry 5. “In the past, we used the internet, we used a lot of secondary sources, books, things like that. Whereas now, we really want to go onsite with a team with cameras, and get as much as we can.”

That meant taking a series of trips to Montana, during which the developers trekked into small towns and wilderness locations. They got to know Montana’s ecosystem, wildlife, and people, and took thousands of photos, many of which were used to re-create the landscape in a process called photogrammetry. Using photogrammetry, objects like trees, vegetation, buildings, and even people are photographed from multiple angles and scanned to create lifelike 3D objects. This technique led not only to some of the most detailed environments Far Cry has seen to date, but to a few surprises that made their way into the story.

“When Richard, our lead on biomes, came back and scanned a birch, and there was actually a heart shape with initials and names, and we’re like ‘this is awesome!'” says Associate Producer Philippe Fournier. “This is the level of detail you can find in some of the assets. We can tweak it and make it story-based, but getting that sort of detail is definitely a first for us.”

fc5coop_103017.jpg

The team’s photos ended up informing not just the look of Far Cry 5’s environments, but the way the game world itself was structured. Like the real Montana, Far Cry 5’s landscape is dotted with road signs and billboards, and they aren’t just set dressing; they’re there to organically alert you to where you are, direct you to specific businesses or locations that might be of help, and even unlock intel about good fishing spots. And a big part of making those messages stick out is through branding.

“Every logo is almost a character in and of itself,” says Fournier. “You’re always asking, ‘what’s the history behind that? Who’s the owner? What’s next, where can I find this person? I see there’s a shop, maybe I can find this shop somewhere?’ And it attracts you to go and find it, so it ties into the exploration of the world as you see those signs.”

Another key part of understanding where you are is in the businesses themselves, which are frequently named for their region or town, or after the characters who run them. In fact, says Graphic Assistant Marco Beauchemin, it wasn’t unusual during development for a business and its branding to develop from characters who appeared in the storyline.

fc5_gamescom_boomer_1503078575.jpg

“We have that guy from the narrative, and that guy should have a marina, so let’s give that guy’s name to the marina,” says Beauchemin. From there, that name becomes part of logos and signage, radio ads, billboards, and even vehicles associated with the marina, all of which make that marina feel more like a real place instead of just a point of interest on your map.

The approach to branding isn’t just about business, either. It extends to the homes of the characters themselves; the team wanted to create interiors that felt lived-in, with decorations that tell you something about the person who lives there, what they do, and how well they take care of their stuff.

Another thing that came out of the branding process was the identity of the resistance movement you’ll build in Hope County, which stems from the Hope County Cougars, a local baseball team. Starting out as a sign to dress up a part of a baseball field, the team’s branding spread to pennants and promotional calendars in the game’s bars.

fc5_e317_screenshots_bar.jpg

“During production, we came to ‘who are the rebels, what are their logos?'” says Beauchemin. “We took that baseball team. It’s a team of people that are really grounded in the region, so it’s normal that the rebels would take that as their logo, so let’s go for it. And then the narrative added to that with a character who’s all about the baseball team, and we can go into someone’s house and we know that guy was playing for the Cougars a long time ago.”

All of these elements combine to create a rich backdrop for an explosive adventure to liberate Hope County from the grip of The Project at Eden’s Gate cult. Far Cry 5’s world is packed with activity and danger – not the least of which comes from the bears, wolves, skunks, and feared wolverines that might complicate a mission by attacking at any time – and its version of Montana is a beautiful, diverse place to explore.
ChevRage

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 08 Dec 2017 15:27

Far Cry 5 release pushed to March 27
http://blog.ubi.com/update-far-cry-5-crew-2/

Ubisoft wrote:Far Cry 5 will now launch on March 27 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One X and PC
earthboundtrev

Unread postby ExiledOne » 14 Mar 2018 15:34

Arcade – Infinite Gameplay and a Creative Map Editor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSs91a7ur54
ExiledOne

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Mar 2018 17:05

DJ Orwell's review: http://steamcommunity.com/id/deejowelle ... ed/552520/

DJ Orwell wrote:Go into the settings and:

Disable the reticle, disable weapons tagging, set reticule position to "centered" (the view is lowered console-style by default), set graphics to ULTRA with a framerate lock on 60 or 90 if you can, disable the detection meter, disable the compass, disable the crouch indicator, disable the enemy tag icons, disable the ally icons, disable that stupid Skyrim-esque "Location/Character Discovery" feedback, and disable the GPS feedback (i.e. big annoying holographic line on the actual road).

Ubisoft has disabled the minimap for you, thankfully. The rest of the HUD is fine, make sure the difficulty stays on HARD (it inexplicably reset to EASY a couple times for me, but I've otherwise had no other bugs in 4 hours yet),

and proceed to enjoy the best Far Cry since 2, and probably even superior to that.

Incredible that the mini-map is off by default.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby CTF » 30 Mar 2018 22:32

It's not just that the mini-map is off by default, it doesn't exist and there is no option to turn it on and the best part about it is that the entire game is designed with having no mini-map in mind. The way you discover things to do in the map of Far Cry 5 is so natural and organic it's amazing. It's not HUD elements or icons on a mini-map that tell you where to go. It's tips you hear from prisoners you free or road signs you see on your way.

If you wanted to hunt a deer in Far Cry 3 to craft a new ammo bag, you would go climb a radio tower, find on your newly marked map where you can find deer and proceed to hunt them. In this game you could be driving down the road and see a sign saying "Danger, deer crossing" and you'll know there are deer in the area. Removing the radio towers and the mini-map and adding all the hints and directions as part of the game world and not the HUD has been one of the best changes they added in Far Cry 5, absolutely loving it so far.
CTF

Return to Games