default header

[PC] Black Desert

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Black Desert

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jun 2017 07:04

Making a thread on this so I don't forget about it.

http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=28962#p28962

I wrote:This is out now with the word "Online" tacked on to the title:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58266 ... rt_Online/

Lots of people loving it on NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1191704

I am wondering if it should be our first MMORPG. It's cheap too, so after we beat Rust, and before we get into Ark, perhaps we should give it a go.
Last edited by icycalm on 10 Jun 2017 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby panegyrist » 09 Jun 2017 22:10

I just bought this too. Looking forward to playing it with the group.
panegyrist

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jun 2017 22:32

Since there seem to be guilds in the game, we won't need to use the clan tag. So I was thinking we should choose some European legend/nation/era (since the game is modeled on medieval Europe), and take all our names from it. For example, Camelot. So we could have Arthur, Lancelot, Merlin, etc. Or the Thor comics. These are two that come most readily to mind, but feel free to propose others.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jun 2017 22:36

Also, don't start the game on your own or read up on its systems. Apparently, there are a lot of systems, and the game does a bad job of explaining them to you, so I would like to just drop into the game one day with 7+ people, and figure everything out on our own. It will make the first few hours very exciting, as with Rust last week. The only thing I want people to do before we start is load up the game and create their character, because this should be quite an involved process. But since the character build and the name should be related (since we can't have e.g. a Merlin paladin, or a thief Arthur) we must first decide on the mythology of the names we will use. I will wait a couple weeks to see if anyone will suggest anything beyond what I suggested, and then I'll make a choice. You can also vote on the two existing choices.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Saf » 09 Jun 2017 23:48

How about the Mabinogi, for something more atypical/uncommon?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Br ... e_Mabinogi
Saf

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jun 2017 23:53

The whole point of this is to play as some cool peeps we know about from other artforms or history. If I play as "Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed", of whom I know nothing, I might as well make up my own name.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jun 2017 23:55

The whole point is to walk down the street in a group as if the Knights of the Round or the Asgardian gods just landed. That's what I am talking about. I am talking about being badass, not some fagots whose names no one can pronounce.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Saf » 09 Jun 2017 23:56

Fair enough, I vote Thor then.
Saf

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jun 2017 00:02

The good thing about Thor, as shown in the movies, is that it's more diverse than Camelot, since they have black and Asian characters. So that will give us a bit more freedom in character creation. I vote for Thor too unless, again, someone comes up with a better mythology.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jun 2017 00:09

I guess Game of Thrones would be another option? Is that more diverse than Thor? Though I don't think it has as many cool characters as Thor.

Also, I guess pure historical themes are out, because presumably we'll need spellcasters.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jun 2017 00:10

Also removed the "Online" from the title. The game is known as Black Desert in Korea, and the Online was added for the Western release.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jun 2017 23:37

It's €7,99 on Steam right now. Probably the lowest it will go before we start the game, perhaps in a month or two, after we've "beaten" Rust a few times.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Online