Games

[ONE] [PS4] [PC] Monster Hunter: World

Moderator: JC Denton

[ONE] [PS4] [PC] Monster Hunter: World

Unread postby ExiledOne » 29 Apr 2017 04:02

Rumor that Sony has acquired the rights to Monster Hunter 5
http://jin115.com/archives/52174914.html

If it's true, about damn time.

Maybe the actual game could look close to the cinematic trailer this time round.

Monster Hunter Generations Opening Cinematic Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_vmxM-2TTo
ExiledOne

Unread postby Saf » 13 Jun 2017 12:01

Pretty sure this is it, only it's called Monster Hunter: World, and it'll be on PC and Xbox One as well.

Monster Hunter: World Announcement Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6r15wzp2o

http://www.pcgamer.com/monster-hunter-w ... ed-for-pc/

Shaun Prescott wrote:Monster Hunter: World confirmed for PC

...but it'll release after the console versions.

Officially unveiled at the Sony E3 2017 press conference, Monster Hunter: World will also be coming to PC. The release was confirmed by the official Monster Hunter Twitter account, though it also specified that the PC version will release after the console editions.

The trailer shown at the press conference demonstrated some interesting new twists on the Monster Hunter format, such as destructible environments and a hookshot. This will also be the first time a Monster Hunter game has hit PC for western players, and the first for many years that hasn't been a Nintendo exclusive.

According to Capcom, the game will feature "a living breathing ecosystem" and will support up to 4-player drop-in cooperative play – with players in both the West and Japan able to play together. It will also feature "seamless gameplay", with players and monsters able to move around the world with no loading screens. In other words, it's a proper open world, with a night and day cycle.

Meanwhile, you'll be able to "pit monsters against one another to lure the main target creature to the right place", ie, the elaborate traps you'll lay in order to secure your quarry.

"Taking on the role of a hunter, players are tasked with going on a research expedition to a newly discovered continent known only as "new world" as they venture on quests to discover more about this mysterious land," the release reads.

Looks great, another awesome co-op game for the clan to play.
Saf

Unread postby ExiledOne » 13 Jun 2017 13:54

I can feel the hype flowing through my veins right now!

This is fantastic news, I didn't expect a PC release at all.

Some overview earthboundtrev sent me, seems like it contains more info than the article above:

DCKrKgMVYAQ2WZZ.jpg

The only piece of artwork available so far:

DCKrIGeU0AMwNmf.jpg

Looking forward to playing Tri even more now.
ExiledOne

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Jun 2017 23:32

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1394190

Nirolak wrote:Capcom explains why Monster Hunter World isn't called Monster Hunter 5 (also leak vid)

I believe the leaked video is still up here, but my phone doesn't like 22 minute mp4s: https://u.nya.is/fzyrht.mp4

How do you view the relationship between Monster Hunter: World and the other Monster Hunter games? Is this a spinoff, or a main title?

Ryozo Tsujimoto: This is the next main Monster Hunter game. Our Osaka team is working on it. We've brought in some people who are more familiar with next-gen technology to come in and help us adapt it for the current generation of consoles. When you have a series that runs into the higher numbers, I think the numbers themselves start to become off-putting. New players might think, "Oh, I've missed four games already, I can't possibly join at this point." Just because we've taken the number off the title doesn't mean it's not a main Monster Hunter game. We just wanted to have "world" in the title because it speaks to the concept of the game in a variety of ways. This is the first simultaneous worldwide release for the game, and the servers are global this time.

Source: http://www.glixel.com/interviews/monste ... ns-w488101
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 05 Jan 2018 15:35

Monster Hunter: World 'Elder Dragons' Trailer Final Beta & Free DLC Plans Announced
http://www.allgamesdelta.net/2018/01/mo ... agons.html

All Games Delta wrote:New Monster Hunter: World Trailer Introduces Elder Dragons, Plus DLC Details and Final Beta Revealed!

During a live stream in Japan today, Capcom announced new details and a trailer for the upcoming launch of Monster Hunter: World which is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 26, 2018. This new trailer introduces several new and returning favorite Elder Dragons.

The steel dragon Kushala Daora is a beast with a body covered in metal plates and has the power to keep hunters at bay by generating wind storms around itself. The flame king dragon Teostra is a brutal fiend that spits blazing fire and any hunter who faces this fierce and deadly monster is in danger of being engulfed in a hellish inferno. Another monster introduced in the trailer is Dodogama, a rock-eating wyvern that possesses a unique saliva that causes rock to become explosive, a hazardous mix it will spit at its foes to warn off attackers.

Also confirmed today is a final beta planned for all PlayStation 4 users which will begin in North America on January 18 and will go through January 22. In addition to the previously released Great Jagras, Anjanath and Barroth quests, players will now be able to battle against the game’s terrifying and challenging flagship monster Nergigante.

Finally, Capcom today confirmed that there are plans for post-launch support of Monster Hunter: World with regular content updates, as well as major title updates for free. The first major title update will be coming in Spring 2018 which includes the addition of the fan-favorite monster Deviljho. Players will be able to put their hunting skills to the test against this brute. The Deviljho must feed constantly and will devour anything in its way, even feeding on the largest of monsters with its massive jowls. This wild beast really is one for only the bravest of hunters to take on!

Monster Hunter: World launches on January 26 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with a PC release coming later in Autumn 2018.

Elder Dragons Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9I9leK3XQ
earthboundtrev

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2018 21:05

The official Japanese site: http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/world/

It uses the colon even in the Japanese title, which as far as I know is unprecedented. I will edit the thread title to reflect it.

I will also rearrange the system tags to reflect that the console versions are coming out first. I say we wait until the Steam release to jump in. I don't see what we would be missing out on by waiting.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2018 21:20

Added to Most Wanted section.

I wrote:Capcom finally decides to bring this bestselling franchise to real gaming systems.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ExiledOne » 16 May 2018 23:34

Monster Hunter: World is Capcom's best-selling game ever
https://www.pcgamesn.com/monster-hunter ... es-numbers

Update, March 5: Monster Hunter: World is Capcom's best-selling game ever.

Monster Hunter: World has sold 7.5 million copies in a little over five weeks, making it Capcom's highest-selling game ever. That's pretty impressive for a game coming from a studio that's been around for nearly four decades.
ExiledOne

Unread postby ExiledOne » 10 Jul 2018 21:41

Monster Hunter: World Launches for PC on August 9
http://nichegamer.com/2018/07/09/monste ... -august-9/

Capcom has confirmed the Windows PC release date for Monster Hunter: World.

The latest in their monster-hunting franchise will launch for Windows PC (via Steam) on August 9th. The game’s PC version will support up to 4K resolution, as well as 60FPS performance.

Featured above, you can view a new trailer for the game’s PC version. If you pre-purchase the game, you’ll get the following bonus content:

Origin Set
The Origin Set armor is a nostalgic must-have for series fans.
This full armor set (head, chest, arms, waist, and legs) comes with enough defense to carry you through the early quests, and also features plenty of skills useful for gathering.

Fair Wind Charm
The Fair Wind charm carries a skill that increases your attack power, and one that adds a chance of reducing the damage you take. The charm also has a nice visual impact, as equipping it will add a glowing aura effect to your left arm!

There’s also a Digital Deluxe Edition, which includes:

Samurai Set
Layered armor sets will change the look of your armor without changing the properties underneath. Equip this Samurai set over your favorite armor to take on the striking appearance of a feudal Japanese samurai warrior!
Note : No weapons are included with this set
Gesture: Zen
Gesture: Ninja Star
Gesture: Sumo Slap
Enjoy three new amusing gestures you can use when interacting with other players in the game.
Sticker Set: MH All-Stars Set
Sticker Set: Sir Loin Set
Fun stickers you can use when chatting with other players in the game.
Face Paint: Wyvern
Add a new face paint for character customisation in Monster Hunter: World.
Hairstyle: Topknot
Adds a new hairstyle for character customisation in Monster Hunter: World.

Finally, here are the minimum and recommended hardware specs:

MINIMUM:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460, 3.20GHz or AMD FX™-6300
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 or AMD Radeon™ R7 260x (VRAM 2GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c)
Additional Notes: 1080p/30fps when graphics settings are set to “Low”

RECOMMENDED:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770 3.4GHz or Intel® Core™ i3 8350 4GHz or AMD Ryzen™ 5 1500X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (VRAM 3GB) or AMD Radeon™ RX 570X (VRAM 4GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c or better)
Additional Notes: 1080p/30fps when graphics settings are set to “High”

Monster Hunter World is currently available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with a PC release set for sometime this fall. In case you missed it, you can find our review for the game here (we highly recommend it!).
ExiledOne

Unread postby Hanged Man » 24 Aug 2018 00:58

http://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/mons ... 8-ps4.html

Man, this review...

CrazedCavalier wrote:You still have to dedicate to every attack, but gone is the trademark quasi-turn-based feel of battle; instead of reacting to monsters, getting hits in, and finding the openings to disengage and heal, now you can just sprint away while drinking a potion.

He’s right that it’s easier to heal in World, since you can now move slightly while using items, but it mostly has to do with this game having seamless environments. In the previous games, you could just run to a neighboring location and heal safely, if needed (monsters don’t follow you past loading screens). Of course, he doesn’t mention that, so he can make this game look dumbed-down.

CrazedCavalier wrote:You get such scenarios as my first encounter with Rathalos where through a combination of a mount, flinchlocking, and flash bombs I knocked off half its health before it could even do anything. Then it finally entered rage mode, and I got locked in place by its roar—to then get hit by a fireball (which are now big AOEs coming from him) that knocked the majority of my health off. 150 defense, neutral fire resistance, folks.

Should've brought better fire resistance against fire attacks then, c'mon. Anyway, both this and the other scenario with Radobaan that he mentioned are actually awesome. I don’t agree that the game lost its depth; it is still basically the same game, there’s just generally more variety and uniqueness to each fight. That is unless if you’re super good at the game, then you can just stunlock a monster and murder it every time in like a couple of minutes lol, but that was the case with all the previous games in the series as well.

CrazedCavalier wrote:World? Hah; they are the worst hitboxes the series has had since 2nd gen, with my gut wanting to say that even 2nd gen's hitboxes are better than World's.

Nah, no way. There are definitely problems, but I usually felt like game was being fair and I knew where I fucked up. I’d need to see videos with closeups to be convinced otherwise. For now, I'm pretty sure that the reviewer is mostly just being salty.

CrazedCavalier wrote:Take the Charge Blade, for instance; in the past it was a very technical weapon that forced you to rely on innate mechanics for a massive return. ... Sword mode is more powerful than ever and you can easily spam its most powerful attack (which, judging from motion values dug up, is the intent; everything else got nerfed to compensate).

It's true that the Sword mode got buffed, but you still definitely need to mix it up with the Axe mode for the best results. Just go look at any videos of Charge Blade players doing speed kills.

CrazedCavalier wrote:Archdemon mode [of Dual Blades] got nerfed into the ground and Demon mode doesn't drain stamina as quickly; the entire playstyle now becomes "stay in Demon mode as much as possible and spam Devil's Dance".

What a weird thing to bullshit about. All Dual Blades players in the previous games spammed Mega Dash Juice, a consumable item that gave you infinite stamina for a while, so nobody even used the Archdemon mode past the early-mid stages. It's definitely easier to stay in the Demon mode in World, but it's not as braindead as he describes. Because while the stamina doesn't drain as quickly, Mega Dash Juice is not in the game anymore (there is Dash Juice, but it merely reduces the stamina consumption).

CrazedCavalier wrote:I could go on, but you get the point; for a lot of weapon types, the movesets are a major step back, encouraging spamming the most powerful attack over and over.

So if you find the most efficient attacks (or combinations of attacks) and abuse them, you get the best results. Wow, that's crazy. It's not like you are punished for playing the way you want to in World, though. You don't have to min-max to kill enemies at a good speed, especially with all the traps and items that you can use. Anyway, it doesn't matter what moves you know when you're getting knocked on your ass every 10 seconds. A big part of this game is still evading, proper positioning and hitting the enemy in the right spots.

CrazedCavalier wrote:The removal of loading screens also means individual areas have to naturally blend together, leading to far less aesthetic diversity.

Oof, individual areas that naturally blend together? That sounds terrible. All hail loading screens, I guess.

CrazedCavalier wrote:And speaking of aesthetics, guess what else they regressed? The visuals are muddy and desaturated, spurning the brighter and more saturated look from 3rd and 4th gen to regress to 1st and 2nd gen’s duller "realistic" look. ... While we’re on the topic of non-mechanical features, let’s talk about the music! Wait, there’s music in this game, you say? Yes. Yes, there is. And it’s incredibly forgettable.

These are just his preferences, and I don't agree with them either. I love looking at and listening to the game. Yes, the visuals are more "realistic" now (and I do miss the "watery" environments from the 3rd generation...), but they still did a great job with the atmosphere and colors in this, just google images of Coral Highlands and Rotten Vale. And this is how these two locations sound, by the way, so you can decide for yourself if this music is forgettable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-SfA2o4kRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFBXcl6FW6M

Of course, it's perfectly fine to critisize Monster Hunter: World, but I just don't understand in what shape or form is this a "degenerated" game. It is definitely an easier game that the predecessors right now (especially while G-rank is still not here), but that has mostly something to do with you getting some new powerful tools and monsters straight up having lower stats when compared to their counterparts from the previous games (I'm 99% sure that's how it is), rather than with the game lacking depth. But the difficulty will get fixed in time, just like the other supposed problems like hitboxes and weapon balance.

But I guess the games should take place entirely in arenas, this way you don't have to run anywhere at all and you can get all the aesthetic diversity you want. The future games should also go back to Nintendo 3DS, so you wouldn't have to suffer through those awful "realistic" graphics. And maybe then the series should actually become turn-based. Would that be "progressive" for this guy then?
Hanged Man

Unread postby ChevRage » 01 Jan 2020 01:30

Anybody planning on playing this game through with a team of four should be aware of a few caveats about how the co-op story functions. None of the previous games had a co-op story at all though (the story was isolated in the single-player HUB) so it's a welcome change. That said, there is a really stupid thing they've done regarding their implementation of players joining others for the story. First of all, you'll notice that when you put up a story quest that your friends won't be able to join you. It'll tell them something along the lines of "you need to progress further in the story to join this quest", and be grayed out. This doesn't mean that your friends need to have already completed the quest to join you, but it's still annoying what they have to do.

Basically, what you need to do in order to play together is for each player to start the story quest by themselves, progress enough into it that it says "SOS flare now available", then quit and return to HUB, and that point is considered to be where you've seen enough of the story to join the quest. Usually this point will be right after a cutscene where a monster gets introduced, but sometimes the mission will merely be a ten-minute walk while you get fed expository dialogue (thankfully there's only like two times this happens).

Honestly I'd rather not get the cutscene for a new monster if they can't figure out a way to get people to view it in a more natural, less frustrating manner. One of the previous games had the short cutscene straight away after starting a mission, but would always dump the players right in front of the monster itself. Which was a bit lame since there was no lead-up while hunting a monster you've never seen before.

Also, regarding multiplayer and grind, so that my group could get gear without forcing the others to join us on monsters they don't need to hunt, we decided to play it through a certain system: What we'd do, is play it whenever we wanted to, but without doing any of the story stuff unless ALL four of us were present, that way we could fight whatever we want, play whenever we want, and we wouldn't get overpowered and trivialise the natural progression of the story.

ALSO make sure not to craft the Defender gear. From the looks of things they added that crap so people can rush through the story of World to get to Iceborne.
ChevRage

Return to Games