default header

Saturdays

Moderator: JC Denton

Saturdays

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jun 2017 11:31

Saturdays starting at 5PM UTC and lasting between 5-15 hours is our main weekly VS MP time slot, primarily reserved for large games like PlanetSide and Planetary Annihilation, with the occasional For Honor or Dawn of War session while waiting for more people to show up. See you on Saturdays on Discord!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jun 2017 11:32

From Discord:

I wrote:Next Saturday we should try to play Siege ranked
Whoever wants to participate should get to level 20 by Saturday
Watch the videos, play the Situations, and if necessary jump on MP alone (while sitting in the voice chat with the headset on, so other people can join you when they see you)
If we get 5 people we have a full team, if we get 6 we rotate one person (which means 4 rounds in, 1 out, which is a great ratio), and if we get 7+ people we play Rust
If we get only 4 we play PUBG
I think that's a good plan for next Saturday
Actually, if we get 4 I say we play Astroneer
Basically we'll have a great time no matter the turnout
As for Astroneer, we decide on the spot if we see that we have only 4 people
If all 4 want to get it and can afford it, we get it and install it on the spot (I don't think it's a large game)
If not, we play PUBG
It's only 4 gigs: http://store.steampowered.com/app/361420/ASTRONEER/
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jun 2017 18:10

Next weekend is again Rust weekend. I talk a lot about the game on Discord, so whoever is interested can go on there and read my comments. I will replace MGR with it as 2013 GOTY, and it is currently my third-favorite game of all time.

Note that we are still playing the game we started on Saturday, and will keep playing it until Thursday, when the server wipes, so if you are planning on joining us in the weekend it would be a good idea to join us this week whenever you see someone playing on Discord, to learn some of the basics. Also note that the server we are playing on requires three hours of playtime, so fire up the game and idle in the start screen for three hours to meet that requirement.

I know we are putting some other games on hold in order to pursue this, but that's the only way we currently have of getting the largest group possible for us into this, and it is worth delaying some lesser games for a while for its sake. If you are into videogames, playing this game is a religious experience. This is why you joined Insomnia, and this is why you joined my clan, and my heavy-handed way of directing our weekend activity is what must be done to maximize our enjoyment of this masterpiece. A few years from now you won't remember the few sessions of lesser games you delayed to get into this, but you WILL remember kicking ass in Rust with icycalm and The Cult when the game was in its heyday.

Longest stream ever in The Cult from this weekend:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/154113572

8.5 hours, of what was a 9+ hour session, because recoil's stream crapped out on us near the end. All in all, I think we had at least one or two people in the game for at least 24 hours out of the weekend's 48. Here's another 5-hour 4P-5P stream:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/154299659

And there was another 7+ hour session we didn't stream, plus several smaller 1P or 2P ones.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jun 2017 23:46

This weekend is again Rust weekend. We tried ARK yesterday, and it was a wash, as I explain elsewhere, so we are putting the experience behind us and look forward to another epic Rust weekend, starting on Saturday at 5PM UTC, as always. Everyone is invited to join. The max number of players we've had at any one time has been five, on two or three separate occasions, so I am hoping we can top that this weekend, and get six, or hopefully seven on at some point. We have new tactics and town-building plans to accommodate everyone from veterans to newcomers, and I can't wait to see how it will all play out.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jul 2017 21:34

After some thought, I have decided to go with an alternating scheme for Saturdays/weekends: one weekend will be devoted to MMOs, and the next one to regular MP games, and so on. The coming weekend will be MMO weekend, and we'll take it from there. I'll be sure to remind everyone in this thread midweek what the schedule is for the coming weekend too, for the benefit of people who've been away or do not keep up closely with our schedule.

Note that if too few people show up to an MMO Saturday, they are free to decide to play smaller games instead, and if too many people show up to a regular MP Saturday they are free to decide to play an MMO instead. However, the initial intention, for the purposes of people planning their weekends, will be to follow the schedule, and then on the actual day whatever happens happens.

I don't like this attempt to regulate weekends any more than the rest of you do, but it's currently the only way for the clan to play MMOs with decent numbers with some degree of regularity, and since I believe the best of these games are some of the best games ever (specifically PlanetSide 2 and Rust, from the titles I've tried so far), I want to do everything in my power to guide the clan in that direction. This regulation, however, is temporary, and as soon as we get a couple dozen more regular players I'll trash it. I'd love to have ten people play Rust at the same time as five others are playing Siege, and three others Under Night and two others Metal Slug, but this is just not possible for us yet. I do believe however that, at the rate the clan is growing, we should get somewhere near there in the next five or six months, so if all goes well we'll only have to put up with this schedule for 20-30 weekends, and then we can start doing whatever the hell we want.

So, the coming weekend is Rust weekend again, and the one after that it's regular MP + whatever co-op games people have planned.

Any questions/objections/suggestions, let me know by posting here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jul 2017 16:27

With the new guys I am getting in for Rust from Steam, I don't think we need to regulate our weekends anymore. The only general guideline we'll have from now on is that the weekend's start time is Saturday 5PM UTC, but people are free to start playing before that, or jump in after. The only exception is Rust, where I ask that you don't start before 5PM so that everyone who wants to get in at the very start -- which is very exciting -- knows exactly when the start will happen, and gets a change to program it into their schedule well in advance.

So, play whatever you feel like playing. Ask people in the chat if they want to play Siege or GG or PA, or anything else with you. Or just jump in a channel and start playing, and let people join you unprompted, whatever you prefer. Or better yet, do both. Only keep in mind that if you are planning on playing something we as a group haven't played before -- say Sins or Civ or whatever -- it would be a good idea to announce it in the forum well in advance (in the appropriate Online thread), so that people who are interested in joining you have a chance to buy and install the game beforehand.

The only exception to the above is MMOs. Don't start Black Desert, for example, if we haven't agreed as a group beforehand (in the MMO thread [ > ]) that we're taking a break from Rust to get into that. We are still not big enough to be able to play several MMOs simultaneously -- though we'll get there soon enough, I am sure, and when we do I'll let you know here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Jul 2017 02:14

Since we already have a base in Rust, there's no start time tomorrow. If you are new to this week's game, just jump in when you see someone playing, and they will help you get to the base and give you the code. (Note also that there are beds and sleeping bags in the base already for several people who haven't played with us yet this week.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Jul 2017 06:37

This Saturday we had our biggest Rust team yet: nine or ten people at one time, if I am not mistaken, out of a total of 12+ people over a 15-hour session. I am hoping next Saturday's game will be even bigger, if I keep trying to recruit people from Steam all week. We just have to get better at managing these large teams, because at present we are quite disorganized.

We should also try to establish some basic principles of base-building in time for next week's wipe.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jul 2017 05:07

recoil won't be joining us this Saturday, so no Rust because he's the one who knows how to set up the server. I could look into it, but it's better to use this opportunity to take a break from the game and play something else instead. Maybe we can get back into PA, and/or play any number of other games. We can decide on the day, depending on who shows and what everyone feels like playing.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Online