default header

Games

[PC] [MAC] Mansions of Madness

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] Mansions of Madness

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Dec 2017 06:10

Just saw immersedreality playing this on Steam. He hasn't played anything in two years, so it must be good if it brought him back.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/47898 ... f_Madness/

Steam wrote:A companion app for the Mansions of Madness Second Edition board game from Fantasy Flight Games. Mansions of Madness is a cooperative game of mystery and investigation inspired by the writings of H. P. Lovecraft. During each game, one to five players explore a location to unravel a mystery.

It's F2P and co-op and sounds interesting so we should give it a try.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby immersedreality » 18 Dec 2017 11:34

Mansions of Madness is actually a tabletop game; the software on Steam is just a companion app that controls various aspects of the game system (monster AI, event randomization, flavor text, skill checks, etc.). Although I do believe that the Tabletop Simulator also on Steam allows you to play the entire game digitally.

Tabletop games are actually the main reason I play almost zero multiplayer videogames these days. They started as a small hobby of mine, but over the last three or so years have grown to basically consume my entire social life and much of my gaming time.

As far as Mansions of Madness in particular goes, I'm not entirely sold on its digital/tabletop hybrid experience. There is some potential in the idea of a computer taking on a sort of DM role, but I just don't think the underlying design of this game is strong enough to make the concept shine.

I could go on, but as this is a videogame forum and not a tabletop gaming forum I'm not really sure how relevant this all is lol.
immersedreality

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2017 14:21

It's just one thread, and as you said there's not much to say about this game as a videogame, so if you want to talk more about it as a tabletop game, go right ahead.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games