default header

Games

[XB] Gunvalkyrie

Moderator: JC Denton

[XB] Gunvalkyrie

Unread postby Dave_K. » 24 Aug 2008 19:42

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/xbox/gunvalkyrie/

Excellent choice and review Alex! I remember following Gun Valkyrie when it was originally slated for Dreamcast, and then became one of my deciding factors to buy an Xbox. I also remember discussing the game after it came out on the old atarilabs forum since Lawrence was the only other person that had an appreciation for it.

If it wasn't for those god damned locked controls I would have really liked it, but instead I had to get rid of it due to carpel tunnel in my left thumb/wrist from all the boosting. I swear that game would have been a LOT better if they allowed you to remap the boost to one of the triggers. I even went as far as hacking a Mad Catz Xbox joystick to try and remap it physically... but never finished the project.

I remember having pains in my thumb/wrist the entire day after playing it for an hour. Maybe it's easier to play on the smaller Xbox pads once those finally came out (or some 3rd party pad). I now feel ashamed that I gave up on it, and sold/traded it away at EB Games for a mere $5 or something (LOL).
Dave_K.

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Aug 2008 22:00

So you didn't get to finish it, huh. How far did you get? It only hit me how great the game was somewhere around the half-way point, after I passed that unbelievably frustrating stage where you have to climb up to the top of a mountain/volcano thing [spoiler alert: and drop inside to fight the boss].

And man, the final boss fights are something else. You really have to find a way to beat this game. It's easily among the top ten 3D action games ever.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Dave_K. » 25 Aug 2008 01:42

I'm pretty sure I didn't make it to the half way point, the pain was just too great. If I can get my Xbox to work again I'll have to scan the local stores for a copy and give it another shot.
Dave_K.

Unread postby Jedah » 25 Aug 2008 09:54

Icy's review gave me the opportunity to search for some videos about the game. It surely looks hectic! From a technical perspective the game doesn't look spectacular, but this maybe a false impression created from the low res videos. Does anyone know a source of high quality videos? The game reminds me of MDK and Sin & Punishment, which is no bad thing.
Jedah

Unread postby SadMammal » 29 Aug 2008 02:53

icycalm wrote:It's easily among the top ten 3D action games ever.

What are the other nine?
SadMammal

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Aug 2008 14:27

It'd be boring to just list them here. It would be just another useless list. I'll review several of them in the next few weeks though, so keep an eye on the frontpage.

Jedah wrote:From a technical perspective the game doesn't look spectacular, but this maybe a false impression created from the low res videos.

Yeah. But even if you see it in perfect quality you might still not appreciate it... I sure was blown away by it in 2002-2003 when I played it, but it's sometimes hard to appreciate older 3D games five years on...

As for higher-quality videos, and especially decent replays, I'd love to upload them to the archive if anyone comes across any.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games