default header

Welcome

The internet reacts to Insomnia articles...

Moderator: JC Denton

The internet reacts to Insomnia articles...

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Feb 2009 16:25

... usually in this way:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/i ... in_nigeria

Seriously, threads linking to this site are usually hilarious. No one has a fucking clue what they are talking about, and by the end of the thread the issue has come to seem even more complex than it originally did. Latest case in point:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353153

About the only people who make sense in such discussions are those who already have accounts here (see Tain in the above thread) or people who eventually come to register accounts, after they have had enough of the ignorance and stupidity of their fellow forum members. At least that is what my experience of Insomnia-related forum threads so far reveals.
Last edited by icycalm on 19 Aug 2011 18:19, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby MjFrancis » 22 Feb 2009 18:24

Seems most complaints centered around the length of the article and most rebuttals tossed around "gameplay" like they had Tourette Syndrome.
MjFrancis
 
Joined: 20 Feb 2009 22:27

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Feb 2009 13:20

http://otacracy.com/serious-stuff/16-belief-in-games

A religious-sounding piece about "belief in games and people", or some such tripe. I like Vincent. He was one of the founders of Insert Credit, along with Brandon Sheffield, who I also like. Still, both of them are way out of their depth when it comes to game analysis. On specific games and genres, yes, they occasionally have something to say, but when they attempt to draw more wide-ranging conclusions comedy happens.

This is right on the money, though:

The big thing about Alex is: He doesn't believe in people. And I can't look at his writing without thinking that all of it has that belief as an underpinning, and it's rather easy to see that it is there. That belief so offends me that I cannot think about accepting anything he says without first thinking whether that means that I'd be accepting that viewpoint.


To be more precise, it's not that I don't believe in people period: it's that I believe in a very few people. Those who, naturally enough, are like me. This is no different to what Vincent and others do. They also believe only in people like themselves, but because theirs is a very common type of character, they end up believing in a great many more people than I do, something which, to the short-sighted, comes to seem as if they believe in everyone. Hence the hypocrisy of them judging me with different criteria from those they use to judge themselves.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Feb 2009 15:37

orly wrote:insomnia.ac is the be all end all Authority on gaming. bitches


http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3085603

Couldn't have put it better myself, lol.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Feb 2009 13:55

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?f ... 8311793394

Not much to say about that. Usual forum banter, but it's nice to see the article getting linked in specialist J/MMO RPG forums.

http://dhex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1670&p=21795

Bunch of retards chattering about one of my articles. Nothing interesting apart from this money quote:

dark steve wrote:I'd write something about complexity v. sophistication, but uh, yeah, why even bother with this guy.


This is basically the way most people respond to my articles, when they are not immediately dismissing them. And of course they never bother following up on these sorts of comments -- i.e. writing anything -- because they really have nothing to write. I mean "complexity vs. sophistication"? What could you possibly write about that? About the only thing you could do is to replace the "vs." with the sign of equality (=), but that of course wouldn't make much for much of an article. So no one writes anything and my articles remain unchallenged -- the only ones basically worth reading on the internet.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Feb 2009 18:35

The Triforce clowns yapping about me for three pages:

http://www.thetriforce.com/forum/index.php?topic=8309.0

They got at least one thing right, concerning that rllmuk thread that recently disappeared:

Why would they delete it? It's the most interesting thread they've ever had on rllmuk. Twats.


And more nonsense from random Brits:

http://www.zombie-cow.com/forum/index.p ... pic=1163.0

That's the kind of commentary I have to put up with.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby Bradford » 27 Feb 2009 18:35

I would like someone to write a virus where every time a person posts "I would write x to defeat your point, but [lame excuse]," their computer kicks them in the junk.

Too harsh? They weren't using that stuff anyway.
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is.
Bradford
 
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 18:11
Location: Orlando, Florida, USA

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Mar 2009 16:05

http://www.theghz.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 099#p94099
http://www.theghz.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 217#p95217

Same old same old. Some dude in some forum links me, and then all his buddies proceed to act offended and miss all the points. Some time later the dude links me again, rinse and repeat.

COMING SOON:
A decade down the line everyone has more or less come to accept the articles as the gospel, regardless of how little they may understand what is being said in them.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby JoshF » 04 Mar 2009 17:12

Maybe it should be explained that us HARDCORZ don't expect every single game to be challenging. After all, not everyone finds this amusing, and the people that don't should have as much right to a game they find amusing as the people that do. The problem as I see it is the imbalance between the one-hand touch and NFL games. If only I could write articles.
User avatar
JoshF
 
Joined: 14 Oct 2007 14:56

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Mar 2009 17:21

The point here is that everyone loves a challenge. Even the people who say they don't -- they too love challenge just as much as anyone.

The problem is that different people have different capacities, and therefore what may seem challenging to one person will seem like child's play to another.

So even JRPG players love challenge. The difference is that they are so stupid that they actually find JRPGs challenging (though they are too ashamed of themselves to publicly admit it, so they come up with bullshit reasons instead).

There's nothing to be done about that -- this is simply how the world works.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby BlackerOmegalon » 04 Mar 2009 18:48

What's strange to me is that many people these days seem to be offended by something that's too challenging for them. I have seen many people say that a certain game is too complex, and should be more accessible, without providing a good reason to make it so, while making a game more accessible is praised. Also, challenge is considered by these sorts to be the opposite of "fun", the legendary thing that they always fall back on in their arguments.
BlackerOmegalon
 
Joined: 30 Jan 2008 17:16

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Mar 2009 19:14

BlackerOmegalon wrote:Also, challenge is considered by these sorts to be the opposite of "fun", the legendary thing that they always fall back on in their arguments.


It's not that they consider challenge per se the opposite of fun -- what they consider the opposite of fun is challenge that is too high compared to their limited capacities. And that is actually fair enough and understandable -- if you've lost a game before it has even began, there's certainly not going to be much fun in it for you. For example, I weigh 74 Kg. If I were to fight in a Sumo tournament it'd be fair to say that I wouldn't enjoy it. That doesn't mean the game sucks -- all it means is that I am not strong enough to compete in it.

If, on the other hand, I were to play Sumo with a bunch of guys in my own weight category, I'd probably have quite a bit of fun.

So basically, their assertion that challenging games are not fun is a defense mechanism to cover their weakness, as well as their stupidity (because they ignore selectable difficulty levels, for example). And that's all there is to it.


Meanwhile:

http://www.cave-stg.com/forum/index.php ... 88#msg8688

I really can't understand how come some people support this douche bag Icycalm. I always thought his articles, reviews and whatnot are mostly really missing the point, like he doesn't understand video games much while pretending to be an "expert". Insomnia is mostly a hilarious failure of a site to me.


Note that this comes from someone who plays shooting games with a keyboard. And he says I am the one who is missing the point.

Note that all of these negative points against me come from people who have written thousands and thousands of one or two-liners on the internet, all of which say nothing the least bit interesting or significant. So far no one has actually attempted to write a lengthy and detailed analysis, taking apart something I have written. All the criticism I have so far got is essentially of the order of jeering and cat-calling.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Mar 2009 18:28

One week they are making fun of my ideas, the very next they are attempting to pass them off as their own:

Taurus wrote:I don't know what 'pushes gaming onwards' means. I think that metaphor, of one line of progress, or some apes standing up, is a bit simplistic. I prefer to see it like a fern leaf, or an amorphous network with different branches that cascade off into different directions. And I think that the phrase sort of implies that subsequent games need to have adopted something that a particular game invented for it to count, and I'm not sure that's an especially good criteria for innovation (because generally other developers seem to pick up on the most boring things about successful or interesting games to copy/rip-off).


AndyG&T wrote:Careful with the leaf/branch/tree analogies, Taurus. You're starting to sound like icycalm.


http://www.thetriforce.com/forum/index. ... #msg150949

There's basically no way out for them, because if they reject my ideas they are condemned to go back to the shallowness and banality of their "graphics, sound, gameplay, innovation" approach that they've been using for ever -- which is a dead end -- whilst, if they adopt my ideas, they are forced to start to sound more and more like me, which is something their friends and readers will call them out on. Attempts to cover this up by inventing new terminology and muddling things up may prove useful in the short term, but are doomed to fail in the long term because the new terminology and muddling will eventually lead them to wrong conclusions -- from which they'll have to back up, only to be forced to eventually fully adopt mine, because it's the only one that's coherent and will work.

All this will be faintly amusing to watch, for sure.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Mar 2009 18:21

Internet noise-generation lessons, by our friends on SA:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3092801

Three pages of it, too.

And I am told these people are actually PAYING for the privilege of posting in that forum?
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Mar 2009 18:29

The classic "serious business" response:

http://drownedinsound.com/community/boa ... al/4167782

The gist of this response is that people who spend their entire lives on the internet while accomplishing nothing are offended when someone actually accomplishes something. They then proceed to deride that person in order to cover up their shame for wasting so much time with nothing to show for it, and the only way for them to do that, it would seem, is to make fun of them for taking anything "seriously".

More of this "defense mechanism masquerading as ridicule" here:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... USBUSINESS

While we're still on video games...Alex Kierkegaard, anyone?


And here.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby Bradford » 09 Mar 2009 19:40

Re: serious business:

What irony that a page to mock (I assume; I could not discern any real purpose to the page) the taking of things too seriously would contain a list of examples over 14,000 words long!
Last edited by Bradford on 09 Mar 2009 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is.
Bradford
 
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 18:11
Location: Orlando, Florida, USA

Unread postby Tain » 09 Mar 2009 20:18

On the plus side you've found me somewhere new to troll; anyone who has a banner featuring that white haired fag from Devil May Cry above a slew of articles on the philosphies of Baudrillard needs to be trolled hard for being a massively pretentious cockhead. Merry fucking Xmas. Crakwhrrr 04:22, 11 December 2008 (CST)


Wicked sick burn.
User avatar
Tain
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2007 05:28

Unread postby BlackerOmegalon » 09 Mar 2009 20:24

I've actually heard the "it's just video games dood!" argument from people in the industry. You'd think they'd take their livelihood more seriously.
BlackerOmegalon
 
Joined: 30 Jan 2008 17:16

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Mar 2009 00:34

Bradford wrote:What irony that a page to mock (I assume; I could not discern any real purpose to the page) the taking of things too seriously would contain a list of examples over 14,000 words long!


That page should link to itself. They are taking not taking anything seriously far too seriously.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby dai jou bu » 11 Mar 2009 10:05

icycalm wrote:And here.


Guh, just got a trojan from going there. They must really hate you. Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal tool said it was eliminated, but I'm really paranoid about the current state of this PC at the moment and will reinstall Windows on this thing later today.
User avatar
dai jou bu
 
Joined: 03 May 2007 06:25

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Mar 2009 13:19

I am on a Mac right now so I don't notice viruses...


http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/389012

He also has total BS claims in there, like the fact that only schizophrenics can role play a party of characters. A good pen and paper dungeon master plays dozens of roles. But I guess that since it's pen and paper, it's all great and healthy.


Typical retarded ADD response. I am talking about the players, who in real RPGs are only supposed to role-play a single character, and he replies about the game master, who doesn't exist in CRPGs.

meh. It's all semantics.


Yes, retard, you got that right. And your point is?
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby Bradford » 13 Mar 2009 14:27

meh. It's all semantics.


Lol, my retort would have been,

What else is there?
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is.
Bradford
 
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 18:11
Location: Orlando, Florida, USA

Unread postby sadinotna » 17 Mar 2009 13:51

icycalm wrote: I am talking about the players, who in real RPGs are only supposed to role-play a single character


Now I'm curious to your opinions on troupe system games and GM-less stuff like Polaris. Are the real RPGs or not?
sadinotna
Banned
 
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 13:40

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Mar 2009 20:03

I answered you here: http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?p=8648#8648

Moving on, Crazy Man's TF2 review has been linked in a number of places, chief among them the Steam forums. The review got something like 500 clicks from that thread in like six hours. I guess that's where all the retards are coming from. Funny thing though is that that thread has been moved out of the general forums, and it's now hidden so that regular users can't see it. I've no idea who CAN see it -- perhaps only the moderators. The address of the thread anyway is this:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=824647

And this is the only thing that Google managed to save:

Ready to rage? - Steam Users' Forums
Ready to rage? Team Fortress 2. ... edit: lol - http://forum.insomnia.ac/ viewtopic.php?t=2659 ... TF2 is in constant-development, always changing. ...
forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824647 - 11 hours ago -


lolling at Valve over here. Every fuckin gaming rag and website declared this the second coming of Christ, and it swept a shitload of game of the year awards -- and a single tiny fucking website trashes it a year and a half after release, and they feel threatened enough to try and keep the review away from people's notice. Games criticism doesn't get much better than this.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Mar 2009 20:47

Some more comments I managed to get from the little snippets Google displays in its search results:

Page 2-Ready to rage? Team Fortress 2. ... Imma join their forums and have a lil ' chat with this guy. ... Ready to rage? Nope, but I'm ready to laugh. ...

Ready to rage? Team Fortress 2. ... Reload this Page Ready to rage? ... This is not a forum for ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ -- no one should have to convince anyone else ...

Ready to rage? Team Fortress 2. ... Reload this Page Ready to rage? ... Most of the forum posters that at least to me sounded like they were good players ...

Ready to rage? Team Fortress 2. ... Reload this Page Ready to rage? .... dude's saying that the sniper is one of the weakest classes in TF2 in the forums. ...


Unfortunately, none of the pages seem to have been cached. What a stupid thing it is to hide threads on the internet. How the fuck are we supposed to get our laughs then? Reminds me of the rllmuk retards a few weeks back. Or the Select Button retards every other day (they have an entire sub-forum where they hide any thread in which they come off as retards -- what they don't realize, of course, is that they come off as retards in EVERY thread).

Man, when you have to hide your fucking threads in your own fucking forum, you know you've hit rock bottom.
Last edited by icycalm on 17 Mar 2009 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
icycalm
Hyperborean
 
Joined: 28 Mar 2006 00:08

Next

Return to Welcome