default header

Games

[PS2] [PS3] God Hand

Moderator: JC Denton

[PS2] [PS3] God Hand

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 11 Jan 2014 06:32

God Hand - IGN Review Reponse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyfbtSyX3mc

System demo - a response to the inaccurate review IGN gave Godhand. I'm hoping to show that the game's camera is perfect for the fighting system, the way Jean is always in clear view and the way it auto-locks to the exact point you always need it to while on the offense or defense I feel is a superb achievement.

I've purposely boosted the game's level to Level-Die to show that even with the initial setup you get at the start of the game, you can cause some real mess and have great fun with the creativity this system allows you to put into your fighting.

God Hand is a game I enjoy playing precisely because of how deep the combat system is. You can almost completely customize all of Gene's individual actions providing a wide variety of options for fighting. It's perfectly possible to keep playing the game with the relatively simple moveset demonstrated by Saur in his video, but with all of the different moves you can purchase in the shop experimenting with different movesets is too tempting to resist.

After you beat level 1-1 and the shop opens up you realize you've only begun to scratch the surface of this game's mechanics. Gene starts off with a four move combo that can be used by repeatedly pressing square, and a couple of techniques mapped to the face buttons with a couple of variations that are triggered by pressing a direction and face button. All of these different inputs are customizable. So, creating long combos requires optimizing your choices for Gene's moveset to ensure the moves you have chosen can be easily linked together.

The circle button is used to handle events in the game. So, if you want to trigger events like pummeling, and countering you'll hit circle when prompted by the game - it is extremely satisfying.

The Roulette Wheel, and the namesake of the game the God Hand, are also useful methods to attack enemies. The Roulette Wheel provides a variety of different special and customizable moves that are used at the cost of at least one Roulette Orb. These special moves each have a particular focus such as: low attacks, high attacks, attacks for single enemies, attacks for groups of enemies, and healing. The God Hand is a temporary boost in speed and strength that allows you to kill a particular enemy (or a group of enemies) with ease at the expense of your Tension Gauge.

The moves that are permanently fixed onto Gene's character are the ones that I find myself using the most in combat. Gene's dodge, for example, can be used to make Gene maneuver in a variety of ways: he can execute a string of four ducks, he can perform back flips, and he can perform sidesteps. All of these different dodges are necessary for handling waves of enemies with defense instead of offense.

All of these different options for attack and defense are necessary because once you start performing well in God Hand the game adapts to your difficultly level to ensure it isn’t too easy or too hard. The game's current level of difficulty is the meter on the far left of the HUD. The difficulty could be set to one, two, three, or Level-Die and as the level becomes higher the enemies become more aggressive.

God Hand is an interesting example of a 3D beat’em up. I’ve never played a 3D beat’em up with a Biohazard 4 style over the shoulder camera where the combat system was precisely this deep and customizable.
Last edited by earthboundtrev on 11 Jan 2014 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
earthboundtrev

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jan 2014 18:31

Are you dyslexic or something? Every other sentence seems like it's missing at least a word. And is there any particular reason you leave three spaces after a period instead of one?

Re-read your post and fix it. It's okay to miss the occasional word or typo -- we all do it from time to time -- but this shit is unacceptable. I have better things to do than to spend my morning making your shitposts legible.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jan 2014 18:41

And here's a real question for all you smartasses out there: What do God Hand and Demon's Souls/Dark Souls have in common?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jan 2014 03:28

That every internet bozo who hasn't played three games in his life seems to "love" them -- whatever that's supposed to mean in internetbozospeak.

Anyway. Below are some comments that look like actual criticism. And let me remind other internet bozos that we already have TWO shitty God Hand reviews in the Submissions forum, so I would say that we are all set in the shitty God Hand reviews department thank you very much.

http://www.learntocounter.com/forums/in ... pic=5774.0

Q-veta wrote:beating women - 5/5

So I finished this a week ago and it's really great, no particular stage stands out (since they're for the most part just flat with enemies that slightly increase in strength) but that just make it more like a blur of greatness. The combo system is great, since you can put any move you want anywhere it really gives you a lot of flexibility and it's always fun to mess around with all the different moves.

However there are some flaws. First it's too long, since the stages are just visually different but mostly play exactly the same it gets a bit tiring towards the end, 6 stages instead of 8 would be preferable. The worst part is that besides some of the optional challenges, most of the game is a cakewalk. The leveling system while cool at first is really poorly thought out since while level die provides a great challenge, you get hit a bunch of times you get dropped to level 2 or 3 which aren't hard at all. On level 1 it's embarrassingly easy. You always have the crutch of pressing R1 or R2 to activate either the roulette wheel (where you can take half the health off of some bosses without any danger to you) or activate the god hand which is god mode and replenishes really fast. So no, it's not hard the normal difficulty here isn't harder than normal in DMC or Bayonetta and it's easier than in NGB. Due to how the AI works if you're patient enough you can easily probably overcome most of the game on hard (which is constantly level die) by just baiting enemies one by one. Very few enemies pose a threat if they're alone so you can pick them off one by one if you have enough patience.

If you need further proof of Evilagram being a dumb au­tist, he said in the God of War thread that the game is totally not abusable! Not like you have roulette attacks that dish out insane damage, chain yanker which stuns everyone besides the last boss and gives you 5 seconds of invincibility while you mash the circle button and replenish your tension meter or god mode, you surely can't abuse any moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_vgb3OuLk

(check the second part, I'm not saying it's easy on hard but it's an abusable game)

To be honest the roulette and god hand are way worse than anything you can abuse in NGB since to abuse the most powerful move in that game throughout means you have to be deranged but here half the shoulder buttons destroy everything.

All in all, great game, great combat system, great enemies, mostly great bosses, killer soundtrack. A shame some things are way too powerful and the levels getting somewhat stale after a while (the last two in particular, the first six are fine).

http://www.learntocounter.com/forums/in ... 7#msg68517

Proto Cloud wrote:I really enjoyed the game, but like Q said, the usage of Roulette moves and Godhand charge are way too strong and abuseable. They're both invincible and a way to get out of bad situations. I feel they could have just dropped this completely.

Others items that bother things that bother me are that the environments look like shit. Models don't look terrible and animate well, but every place looks like a shithole. I really don't like how lousy the bursting system for enemies is. It ruins the combo system which is really innovative and limits your creativity with combos because tougher enemies can just break out whenever they feel like. A lot of the time, you've got to just go for simpler combos with strong finishers. You really have to break the system to get combos and resets on enemies. The level up system was kind of a pain. Half the bosses were lousy. And weave is incredibly good with quick meter gain, allows for cancels and quickest recovery.

http://www.learntocounter.com/forums/in ... 3#msg68523

Johnny Jumble wrote:Loved this game and I'd probably place it in the top 3 as far as these 3D brawlers go but it lacks any kind of polish or balance whatsoever and if/when it's challenging, it's really only because the game never explains shit. It seriously feels like Clover didn't have any money left so they decided to focus all their resources on enemy design and nothing else lol. Most of the levels are empty and ugly, the bosses are sort of cool but can literally be killed by spamming one move, the art design is pretty weak overall, the game is about 3 hours too long, and I swear every other move is broken lol. But somehow it works. The enemies are smart as hell, extremely varied, create a ton of interesting scenarios, and can fuck up even the most experienced God Hand players (on Hard mode at least). Since everything moves so fast, the whole game comes down to fighting a bunch of guys and all the flaws sort of fall into the background.

A complete mess of a game but it's awesome. It's in desperate need of a sequel with a huge budget but there's almost zero chance it'll ever be made.

http://www.learntocounter.com/forums/in ... 6#msg68526

Proto Cloud wrote:I feel the same way.

I also forgot to mention that I like how many moves are taken straight from fighters like Tekken and Virtua Fighter. Stuff like VF flipkicks, Law's step kick, shoryuken and the such. You can really tell that the team had a huge love for fighting games. But strangely enough, absolutely no grapples are in the game which really throws me off.

Personally, I'd give it a 4/5, because of aforementioned issues. I just like to see that it's one of the very few hand-to-hand brawlers out there of its era after hack n' slash became so popular.

Compare that to internet bozo review: OMG SO DEEP BEST BIOHAZARD 4 UNDER THE CROTCH CAMERA BEAT EM UPS!

Detail they forgot to mention: that that's the only 3D beat'em up they've ever fucking played...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jan 2014 03:48

And what a stupid line this is!

earthboundtrev wrote:I’ve never played a 3D beat’em up with a Biohazard 4 style over the shoulder camera where the combat system was precisely this deep and customizable.

And since no game has PRECISELY the same complexity as any other game, you can use this dumbass line to defend every single game ever made! Not that the bozo has any idea precisely what the word "precisely" means... but I am just sayin'. I am sick and tired of bozos who got into games last week filling the internet with their stoopid fucking God Hand and Demon's Souls "reviews".

NOBODY FUCKING CARES. YOU ARE A BOZO WHO GOT INTO GAMES LAST WEEK AND HASN'T PLAYED ANYTHING. YOU ARE TOO DUMB TO EVEN REALIZE THAT MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE NAMEDROPPING OTHER GAMES IN YOUR "REVIEWS" OF THESE GAMES! SO SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY. NO ONE FUCKING CARES WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT EDGY GAMES THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT. GO KILL YOURSELF. OR AT ANY RATE GET OFF THE FUCKING INTERNET. HOW MANY FUCKING IDENTICAL GOD HAND AND DEMON'S SOULS REVIEWS CAN THE INTERNET CONTAIN BEFORE IT GETS CLOGGED UP AND STOPS WORKING? HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF THAT! THINK OF THE INTERNET FOR CHRISTSAKE!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jan 2014 23:23

http://www.learntocounter.com/forums/in ... 5#msg68835

ray wrote:Hilariously, RE6 is harder than Dark Souls even without being on No Hope difficulty. (They're also not really the same kind of game.) Maybe I should buy a bunch of identical-looking websites and make that an internet soundbite so the neogaf guys can digest it.

Dark Souls and the word "identical" here are what connects this post to my previous one. There is no question about the internet bozos having played anything or knowing anything about videogames. We are talking about a very crude method of communication that employs some rough signs ("God Hand", "depth", "Demon's Souls", "difficulty") to facilitate communication between groups of people who know nothing about anything and yet continue to insist on talking about everything as if they KNOW everything.

(Also, they usually talk about Dark Souls instead of Demon's Souls because it's the latest one and they haven't heard about the earlier one.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games