default header

Games

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|STA|SW Doom Eternal

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|STA|SW Doom Eternal

Unread postby ExiledOne » 22 Jun 2018 08:13

ExiledOne

Unread postby Adjudicator » 25 Oct 2018 04:21

Here is a blog post that breaks down and analyses how Doom Eternal's aesthetics and mechanics make fun of contemporary left-wing politics of "acceptance and tolerance of others":

Doom Eternal is the First Mainstream Product to Openly Mock the Left
http://www.aaronselias.com/2018/08/20/doom-eternal-is-the-first-mainstream-product-to-openly-mock-the-left/

I never paid attention to the voice announcements until this blog quoted and analysed them.
Adjudicator

Unread postby JC Denton » 09 Jul 2019 14:30

Collector's Edition Steelbook art, designed by Mondo, artwork by Gabz:

Wallpaper material.
JC Denton
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby Adjudicator » 09 Oct 2019 08:11

Doom Eternal has been delayed until March 2020
https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-ha ... ntil-2020/

Fraser Brown wrote:The new release date is March 20, 2020. id says it needs more time to "live up to our standards of speed and polish".
Adjudicator

Unread postby Discord BOT » 21 Mar 2020 07:28

CULT|Effay
Quick impressions for Doom Eternal: combat is deeper, levels are bigger and have more exploration for secrets (though still linear so far), but there are some weird design choices that hurt the immersion (1UPs that instantly revive you when you die, all the pickups are this weird neon color that look completely out of place, secrets are these giant floating question marks)

CULT|icycalm
Thanks!
I wonder if they will fix any of this later
Or add options to turn them off etc.

CULT|Effay
I didn't see any options like that currently. You can customize your HUD completely, toggling every individual piece.
But I haven't found a way to turn off any of that other stuff in the graphics options or anything
There's a lot less cool little animations when you pick stuff up too. In Doom 2016 when you got a keycard off a dead guy the Doom Slayer physically takes the card off of the guy's uniform. In Eternal it's a floating glowing thing you just find wherever

CULT|icycalm
Ah that's disappointing
I am seeing people in my Steam friendlist who haven't bought a game in years come out of the woodwork and buy Doom Eternal today
Originally posted in the Insomnia Discord.

Insomnia Discord bot powered by proprietary next gen next level neural networked quantum learning self aware AI developed by Cult Games.
Discord BOT

CULT LIVE: Doom Eternal

Unread postby ChevRage » 18 Aug 2020 21:25

Doom Eternal (Nightmare Campaign) with ChevRage 1
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/714087302

Just finished playing a few hours of this. Can confirm what Effay said about it. Also it's a hell of a lot harder than the previous game, I spent half an hour on the last encounter I was up to, and I still haven't beaten it. There's also an increased focus on platforming with a directional boost, a double jump (this was in the last game, but you get it much sooner here), being able to swing on bars, and there are some walls that you can grapple and climb, but those are rare. Not sure how I feel about this platforming.

There are a few other things I don't like too. For some reason they decided it was a good idea to have a pop-up explaining what a new enemy's weaknesses are, before you even SEE the enemy. What a shitty introduction to a new enemy type. The frequent cutscenes that show you that some door or new path has opened after clearing the enemies in a room are also annoying. The last game didn't have that stuff, or at least did it more naturally, which makes this new one a bit lame in comparison.

My impression so far is that it's not as good as Doom (2016).
ChevRage

Re: PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|STA|SW Doom Eternal

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Aug 2023 07:05

Doom Eternal M8 -Sentinel Prime - Nightmare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF681FMo4z4

Skimmed a few seconds of this.

It's ridiculous. He goes through this castle full of pointless corridors and tiny rooms with obvious jump sections straight out of Super Mario Bros. This shit was already stupid in the '90s, but in the 21st century with the castle looking real in 8K, it's downright retarded. No one would build a castle like this, not even aliens. I don't know how anyone can bear to play this. They must not be noticing anything. My brain cringes constantly just skimming the video.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games