default header

News

[PC] Ymir

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Ymir

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Apr 2018 19:46

I've been gushing about this on Discord.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/37836 ... id=6528969

Steam wrote:Ymir is a 4X multiplayer strategy game combined with a city builder where each player develops a civilization of pigmen starting at the stone age.

culture.vg wrote:4X MMO version of Age of Empires with up to 100-player persistent world. If they could just replace the stupid pigs with actual character design it could well end up being GOTY material.

From Discord:

I wrote:Age of Empires made into 4X lol
And MMO! Up to 100 player persistent world (edited)

If they could just replace the stupid pigs with actual character design...
2 game modes:
* Real-time mode : a 'classical' mode to be played alone or with a few friends, meant to be played with the permanent presence of all players and to be stopped/continued over several playing sessions.
* Permanent mode : a more "MMO" mode where the game server is to be left running 24/7 at all times even when players are offline and where actions take much more time than in the real-time mode. Meant to be played with the maximum number of players on a day-to-day basis, with games lasting several weeks.
This game sounds pretty damn incredible
* Complex socio-economic simulator for a challenging city-building experience on its own.
* Fully procedural worlds where each region is random and unique.
* 7 biomes, each one with its own specific resources to encourage player-trading.
* Advanced diplomatic and economic tools to setup treaties ( right of passage, taxes, payments, trade agreements... ) and trade routes between players.
* With the terrain tools, modify the terrain heights to take maximum advantage of natural defenses like cliffs and hill tops.
* A Strategic-tool allows players to design their local defensive strategy in each one of their cities in case of attack: creating defensive zones, setting troops initial deployment positions and setting their behavior in battle.
* Battles are not instantaneous and belligerents can send reinforcements while a battle is still in progress.
* Battles can include unlimited 'teams' at the same time, each one fighting according to its allegiances.
* Battle troops during a battle are all AI controlled ( so that battles can happen independently of the player's presence ).
Gotta put it in the Most Wanted list
This has a lot of the features I would like to see in PA2

I made a thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/378360/d ... 664625382/
Will probably get deleted
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Apr 2018 20:47

I went nuts in the thread.

I wrote:Feces-shaped villagers would also be "unique". Uniqueness is not an argument. People play these games because they want to feel like rulers, like kings and emperors. They want to feel like Alexander and Caesar, not like a f*cking ruler of pigs. I am a videogame critic and theorist of 13 years, and the designer of this game needs to listen to a sane voice on the matter. If you spend too much time in a room, like programmers tend to do, you lose touch of reality, and start seeing pigs or whatever everywhere, and then you think that everyone else dreams of pigs too, and wants to see movies about pigs and play games about pigs. The reality is that with proper character design this game would sell AT LEAST DOUBLE, if not 10x what it will sell with the stupid pigs, so if the designer wants to make money to continue development, and if the players want a large community to play with, just replace the damn pig sprites with an image OF JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE as soon as goddamn possible!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News