default header

News

Project Fantasy

Moderator: JC Denton

Project Fantasy

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Mar 2023 06:09

IOI just launched a new site about a "bold new online fantasy RPG": https://ioi.dk/project-fantasy

They're supposed to be making a new Bond game right now, but apparently they have multiple studios at this point.

IO Interactive wrote:IOI now spans multiple distinct studios, from Copenhagen and Malmö in the north to warm Barcelona in the south. All studios take part in making all our games, including this new endeavor. People from all over the world with diverse personalities and skillsets are coming together to forge a new beginning.

Also interesting that they drop the terms "tabletop" and "game master" in their announcement:

IO Interactive wrote:For many, this journey is also a deeply personal one that began long before we started making games for a living – and it started with the fantasy genre. From the “Fighting Fantasy” books compelling you to choose your path, alone, against wizards, lizards, and thief kings. To the togetherness, camaraderie, agony, and delight found around the tabletop. For some it meant taking the role of a game master: Part storyteller, part AI opponent, part guide, part villain. For everyone around that table it meant creativity, imagination, building a world together, and a shared goal in creating a great game experience.

There aren't really any details or media on the game besides that dumb Blizzardy concept art, so the only exciting thing about it are the "tabletop" and "game master" namedrops, which will probably be nothing.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Project Fantasy

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Mar 2023 06:15

I will say that I like this way to describe D&D:

IO Interactive wrote:This idea – that a diverse group of individuals with different skills and strengths can work together and become more than the sum of their parts – is what inspires us.

This really does get to the heart of D&D. Not the heart of roleplaying—roleplaying doesn't require a team—but D&D does (for reasons I explained in my "Roleplaying Culture" essay), and this line explains its attraction beautifully.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News