default header

Submissions

About this board

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 12 May 2009 22:42

1. Only people who are posting reviews can start threads in this forum. Your opening post MUST be a finished review.

2. It's okay to review a game which someone else has already reviewed, either here or on the frontpage.

3. The review MUST come with a rating, and specifically a rating according to Insomnia's rating system:

***** Highly recommended
**** Recommended
*** Good, but has been done before, and much better
** Playable, but without much merit
* LOL

4. Replies to threads in this forum should be focused on THE REVIEWS -- not on the games -- the games themselves should be discussed in their respective threads in the "games" sub-forum (and if a game reviewed in here does not have a thread over there, simply start one). This is a somewhat subtle distinction, because, though the focus of the replies must be the review, the focus of the review is the game... so there will often be some overlap. But you can see what I mean. If you have no comments to make on the quality of the review, of how the review can be improved so as for it to be fit to be published on the frontpage -- or of why it would never be fit to be published on the frontpage -- then you have nothing to say about the review. Post your comments in the "games" subforum then.

5. It goes without saying that the purpose of this sub-forum is, ultimately, to get reviews in shape for publication on the frontpage. To that end, your reviews should be as good as you can make them -- i.e. you must have clearly put some effort in them -- because I am certainly, eventually, going to put effort into reading them and giving you feedback.

6. Realize that not everyone is capable of writing reviews to the standard that I require -- in fact very few are -- if for no other reason than because the vast majority of people lack the necessary knowledge of the appropriate genre(s) and/or the critical ability required to make worthwhile comparisons (writing ability is the very LAST thing on my mind when judging reviews: knowledge of the subject and critical ability, in that order, are far more important). However, do not let this discourage you. If you enjoy writing reviews, then there will always be people here who will enjoy reading them. At the very least, you will get some feedback from people who know what it takes to make a good review -- and this, ultimately, is what you as a reviewer should desire most of all. At the end of day, I will never delete a sincerely meant review from here, so, you know, everything you post will still be a part of Insomnia.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Nov 2011 21:38

A little update on the status of this forum. First of all, it is now called "Submissions" instead of "Reviews" to reflect the fact that you can now post articles as well as reviews. Secondly, this forum will from now on be used exclusively for content that is intended to go on the frontpage, i.e. it's not for "beginner reviewer" efforts or other half-assed attempts at writing. If you are not 100% sure of your critical and writing skills, and simply want to air your views on a game or issue, you can always do so in the game's or issue's respective thread in the appropriate forum. You can post full-length reviews or articles in the "Games", "Theory" and "Hardware" forums, and we will look at them and give you feedback, in the same manner, and with the same thoroughness, that we used to do so in here.

So, before posting in this forum, ask yourself:

1. Am I among the leading authorities in the world (ideally, the leading authority) on the game/issue concerned?

2. Is my review/article the best and final word on the subject?

If, and only if, you can confidently answer Yes to both these questions, should you proceed to post your article or review in here, otherwise please use one of the other forums.

If I approve and publish your submission I will send you via PayPal the same amount of money I give to staff members and freelance contributors (currently 10 euros, though this will rise as soon as the subscriber base allows it), as soon as you have taken care of any and all outstanding issues I might have with it (in the form of requests for clarifications, additions, revisions, and the like).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Submissions