default header

Submissions

[360] Limbo

Moderator: JC Denton

[360] Limbo

Unread postby Icemael » 11 Aug 2010 00:52

Ah, Limbo. It has been called this year's Braid; a masterpiece; perfect, even. Let's have a look-see, shall we?

Limbo is a puzzle-platformer. And I'm going to address the game's largest problem immediately: both the puzzles and the platforming are completely devoid of any challenge. The former virtually never require more steps than can be counted on one hand -- move a box, pull a lever, climb a rope and you're done; that's roughly how most of the puzzles go down -- and since the tools needed are always clearly visible and the way in which they are to be used always immediately apparent, the only thing being tested -- unless, of course, you're an idiot -- is whether you possess a pair of eyes and the physical strength needed to move the analogue stick and press A (jump) and X (grab). The latter demands extraordinary feats of neither precision nor timing; if you can play through the first level of Super Mario Brothers, you'll breeze through even the hardest of Limbo's platforming parts.

(You will die, however. You might wonder how this is possible when the puzzles are easy and the platforming easier. It's quite simple, really: the developers have implemented a number of trial-and-error challenges; parts in which survival is nigh impossible unless you already know what's ahead. I find this decision very puzzling. The game's checkpoint system ensures that you always reappear mere seconds away from whatever hazard killed you, and the aforementioned challenges are just as easy as -- if not easier than -- the rest of the game once you know what's coming, so all these trial-and-error parts serve to do is waste your time.)

So if there is no challenge to the game, what is there? Not much. The monochrome graphics look quite nice -- the animations are smooth, and there are some really neat-looking multi-layered backgrounds and depth-of-field effects -- and the sound design isn't half bad, but it is by no means a visual or aural masterpiece on the same level as Vanillaware's Muramasa: The Demon Blade or Konami's Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, or even fellow Xbox Live Arcade games like Braid, Metal Slug 3, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved and others.

But I must mention that while there's nothing exceptional about Limbo, there is nothing particularly terrible about it, either. It's not broken, it doesn't waste your time with boring tutorials or needless exposition, and the controls are both sharp and responsive; however, not being bad does not equal being good (something people who declare games like Portal and, yes, Limbo "perfect" don't understand), and I cannot with a good conscience recommend Limbo to anyone but the most devoted puzzle-platformer fan, who makes it his mission to play any and all entries in the genre. If you aren't that person, there are much better games to spend your money -- and, more importantly, time -- on.
Last edited by Icemael on 11 Aug 2010 03:31, edited 2 times in total.
Icemael

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Aug 2010 01:21

Very well-written: a model Insomnia review. I'll post it on the frontpage alongside reviews of Braid, Cannabalt, Iji and other indie trash once I am through with the current essay/philosophy binge.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Aug 2010 01:26

An objection: Braid is most certainly not a visual masterpiece, as you imply that it is -- but I'll elaborate on that in my review. If, after reading it, you still want to keep that comment in, it's up to you. For now I'll just say: take another look at the game.

Edit: And Geometry Wars does not belong in that list of yours either... It's not by any means ugly for what it is, but you can't rate it along the others in terms of visuals -- they belong to entirely different levels of quality. Visually, Geometry Wars is retro (to a great extent, at least); while there's nothing retro about Muramasa, Order of Ecclesia or Braid.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Icemael » 11 Aug 2010 02:18

It should be noted that when I said Geometry Wars, I was referring to Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, not the original game (which is definitely not a visual masterpiece). While misunderstandings are unlikely -- there are only two Geometry Wars games on Xbox Live Arcade, and neither is the original (though one includes the original) -- I will fix that mistake right away, just to make sure. I do agree that it doesn't exactly belong with the others, and it was not my intention to imply that it's on par with them; just that it's a spectacular-looking game, and one that's in another league than Limbo.

As for Braid, I will certainly read your review when it's posted (I'm looking forward to it) and, if my position on the matter changes, make sure to reflect that in my review.
Icemael

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Nov 2010 18:37

Icemael wrote:It should be noted that when I said Geometry Wars, I was referring to Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, not the original game

Makes no difference. All of them have barebones graphics without the tiniest spark of artistry in them, let alone technical excellence.

In other news, the review has been edited and published:

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/xbox360/limbo/

and hence any further discussion on the game, the review and/or my edits will take place here:

http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?t=3295

Once more, nice work dude.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Submissions