default header

Welcome

State of Insomnia

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Sep 2018 13:32

The release schedule is getting more and more comprehensive by the day. I think in about a couple of weeks it will be near-complete. At that point, I am going to introduce a Game of the Month award, obviously for past months only. Said game will have a border around it or something. I think EGM had an award like that back in the day. Probably stole it from Famitsu like everything else. And now I am stealing it from them.

And like everything else, the award will be fluid. I.e. I will change the game if I post a better review of another game, or if I play a game and end up preferring it etc. All awards on the entire site will always work like that, and nothing is final, quite simply because I can't play everything and never will. (Though perhaps once I am resurrected and cloned... Who knows. I will still refuse to play the 20,000 garbage "games" on Steam tho.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Dec 2018 05:12

Insomnia is now protected by Cloudflare, for those who know or care what that means.

https://www.cloudflare.com/

I think in practice it means the site will load a bit faster, and when it's down you'll get a cached version to browse until it comes back up.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jul 2021 00:26

I finally updated the release schedule for June and July, i.e. the top parts of the PLAY and HYPE sections, so that when you load the site the first games to hit you on the schedule are current/up to date. Still need to add a few titles in both months, but the main titles are there, and it looks good now.

I will be proceeding with May and August soon, and then expanding like that in both directions until the schedule is fully updated. And don't forget that all of June's games are reviewed now. Coming soon are reviews for all of May's games, and then all of July's etc.

P.S. The star ratings and links to reviews aren't in yet, and won't be for a while. That's additional work I've set for later, but don't worry, it'll all look great when I am done.
icycalm
Hyperborean

About the ICYREVIEWS board

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Apr 2023 20:39

I made a new subforum to the Reviews forum called ICYREVIEWS: https://culture.vg/forum/forum?f=42

That's where I'll move the following content:

1. All my reviews from Insomnia 2.0 (which have been offline for years).

2. All my reviews from Insomnia 3.0 (which have been hosted on the Joomla side of the site, which I am retiring because the forum software is far more convenient as a publishing platform).

and,

3. All my reviews from Patreon.

The above are several hundred reviews, and I am in the process of moving them over. In the meantime however I have several new reviews I want to post, and the first of them is dropping later today, so look forward to it.

P.S. There will also be a VGART subforum with all my Videogame Art essays. That's coming up soon too, plus some new content for it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

About the GMRPG REVIEWS board

Unread postby icycalm » 13 May 2023 11:30

Today I launch yet another new section of Insomnia, the GMRPG Reviews section, that you can find featured inside the site's general Roleplaying section: https://culture.vg/forum/forum?f=43

This section will be dedicated to analyzing the ascendant GMRPG genre, that as I've explained abundantly over the last couple of years, will completely transform videogames, and basically take them over. So of course, it's time Insomnia started featuring reviews of it, and I am proud to report that the very first review is up, and it is of Swedish GMRPG developer Free League's Alien RPG that's taken the industry by storm the last few years: https://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=8909

More reviews are coming up soon, with a special focus on games and adventures that I plan to offer through my Battlegrounds project, so that interested players can make informed choices on what to play. More news on all this coming soon, so keep an eye on that frontpage.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: State of Insomnia

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Mar 2024 02:14

The Cult Hierarchy & Specs is now permanently linked off its own section on the Insomnia frontpage left-hand sidebar. It merits a spot there because this is gaming now, 21st-century real-time gaming. It's not rolling on the floor, it's not 20-minute bughunts, and it certainly isn't bumping against invisible walls.

21st-century gaming is a first-person sci-fi metaverse you can immerse yourself into, and for the full experience it can't be done alone. And nowhere is it done better than on Insomnia and in The Cult, of course.

This is why I know the most about games. Because I play the best games. I don't play the worst or even the mediocre. I play the best. In the best way.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Welcome