default header

Welcome

General feedback

Moderator: JC Denton

General feedback

Unread postby Reid » 27 Nov 2006 01:56

Just came by to see how the site was doing and I must say, that it's doing better then I could have imagined! I would have just sent a PM but this is very impressive stuff.

So congrats to you icy. You've come a long way from when this little thing first started out.
Reid

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Nov 2006 20:49

So are you the guy formerly known as Zartan? Because if so I recall that I owe you some money and/or CDs, though I can't seem to remember the exact amount of either!

I am going to look in my inbox to try and find exactly what I owe you!

And I am glad you enjoy the site. I've got a ton more stuff coming up, but I got sidetracked with the whole IC thing.

Stick around!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Reid » 01 Dec 2006 20:48

Oh I will, I WILL.
Reid

Unread postby Jedah » 04 Dec 2006 11:55

I'm a member of a dozen gaming sites/forum. This is oasis if you ask me. No morons, no fanboys, no console war conversations, no new releases chasing and ass kissing. Games are forever and Insomnia makes this clear, from the first moments you spent around here. I hope this will never change.
Jedah

Unread postby bullethell » 24 Jan 2007 22:42

Let's keep this place then a secret. Heh. Seriously now this forum is one of the few around that doesn't have a 360 vs PS3 thread and I'm very satisfied. Jedah makes a point here, videogames are not bits and GHZ and 60 gigabytes of storage data HDDs, they are just games generating virtual worlds, virtual troubles, virtual beauty and pleasure.
bullethell

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jan 2007 21:22

Well, in principle, I have nothing against people discussing the console wars, and comparing the merits and shortcomings of various consoles. In fact I even think it is quite an interesting subject, at least as long as those participating in the discussion know what they are talking about. And of course as long as the discussion remains civil and friendly.

That said, I know very few people who meet all the above criteria. In fact, I know many extremely knowledgeable gamers, who are great to hang out with and civil and smart, and who still go around saying nonsense, like, for example, that the PS3 and the 360 are only expensive bricks that have no decent games.

In any case I buy every console that comes out, so I couldn't care less which company wins in the end. The only thing I DON'T want is for any single company to monopolize the market. That's what happened for over a decade with Nintendo and the various crappy Game Boys, and that's why I am thankful to Sony for making the PSP. And if MS decides to launch its own handheld then, well, so much the better.

Also, please don't keep my website a secret! If no one reads it I'll stop writing it!

PS. That's a seriously cool avatar, bullethell.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 26 Jan 2007 11:39

Well I'm not keeping it secret, but I think that if I go around others sites/forums and advertise Insomnia, this oasis will be destroyed by spammers and geeks with serious social and libido(is that spelled correct?) problems. I have to filter the persons invited here and recursively they have to filter the people they invite. Oh well, I'l try to spread the word...
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2007 12:57

Well, if all goes according to plan, there will come a day when this forum will have new people signing up all the time. So an influx of new members is inevitable, in the long run.

What I plan to do in that case is turn away anyone who comes in with a bad attitude. I will simply ask them to leave, and if they don't I'll just ban them.

So far all the people here are cool, and there's no way in hell I will ever allow this to change.

If the forum ever gets too large for its own good I can always just disallow new memberships, and set up some kind of system where new members would have to be recommended by existing ones, or something of this nature. Because I don't really have the time to manage a forum with more than a few hundred members.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby bullethell » 27 Jan 2007 15:10

Heh I was joking, of course more good members is always a good thing. Talking about Console Wars threads, all the mags I read have many columns covering it these days, thats why I hate console coverage. I used to spend time reading them in magazines and over forums. Comparing data streams threads, weekly and monthly sales.Now i dont. I care more for games every than consoles.

It's a bit refreshing, finding a forum talking about what in the end worth more, games.

Heh I made that avatar among others. (Castlevania and STG avatars.)
bullethell

Unread postby MAXCHAIN » 29 Apr 2007 07:14

I would just like to concur that this site is awesome, and to thank icycalm for running it. Please keep making this site so I can keep up to date on Japanese stuff!
MAXCHAIN

Unread postby icycalm » 03 May 2007 15:16

Thanks for the kind words. I am currently not updating very much as I am in the middle of moving to France, but once I settle down there'll be a lot of new stuff on a more regular basis.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Lotekx » 18 Feb 2008 23:00

Rarely do I get hooked on someone's random editorial website, especially for video games. This site is an exception.

This website illustrates the essence of video games, and I hope viewpoints like yours are the future of video game critique. This site makes IGN and Kotaku look like Rolling Stone magazine -- outdated dinosaurs.

This website is a beacon of sanity in a industry replete with too much money, sway, fanboys and hype.

Please keep it up. You are analyzing a culture the same way many people view it. Yet almost no one is able to record these sentiments in a coherent, well written manner.
Lotekx

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Feb 2008 18:36

Thanks. You should watch it though. My ego is inflated enough as it is.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Deity » 21 Feb 2008 03:09

Hi!

I have been visiting this site for some time now. It's a great website, both the design and the content. I especially like all the arcade related articles and the location test videos. Keep up the good work!
Deity

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Feb 2008 00:38

Hi! Welcome to the forum. And thanks for your kind words.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Deity » 22 Feb 2008 01:38

Thanks!
Deity

Unread postby raphael » 04 Mar 2008 19:50

I am very happy I came across your website. It's good to read about these games I love, and even better when it's written cleverly.

I wish you the best success you can get with this all. And I'll be glad to pay you back for my pleasant reading time... I suggest a beer in Paris or a (needed) French re-translation of your article 'Arcade Culture'.

By the way ... Hello !
Last edited by raphael on 12 Dec 2008 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
raphael

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Mar 2008 02:17

Hi, glad you are enjoying the site. I'll have to go by Paris soon to pick up a new passport, so if I have enough time I'll get in touch with you for that beer.

As for the re-translation... I'd say don't waste your time. If someone can't be bothered to learn English well enough to understand the original article, I don't think they'd be the kind of person to appreciate arcade games anyway.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby raphael » 05 Mar 2008 10:49

That certainly sounds like a worthy excuse. I think I'll use it.

Ok for the beer then.
raphael

Hey Guy!

Unread postby Admiral.49 » 06 Mar 2008 20:27

wow

Love what you've done with the place!
Admiral.49

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Mar 2008 02:35

The Prodigal Son! The Black Sheep! Wasssup dude! Still a millionaire?

I would have come back to Tokyo already, but I thought twice about it after I heard they take your prints now... What a fucking joke.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Admiral.49 » 09 Mar 2008 19:23

Yes, I'm still a millionaire, but does it even really count if it's in yennies?

Just as well you didn't come back to Tokyo, things are crazy here in Tokyo
for example, the band I'm in is getting radio airplay here in tokyo on InterFM 76.1Mhz, every morning since Feb 15th, and speaking of airplay, one of my house tracks was on the air in Sydney.

Indeed strange things are happening here, so strange that they need your fingerprints when you visit, they take those along with your first born these days.
Admiral.49

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Mar 2008 20:29

Sounds like you're doing good. I checked out your myspace. Cool shit.

There are times I wish I was back in Tokyo, but then I know I'd miss a lot of the things I now have here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Senfi » 17 Mar 2008 16:14

Hi.

I enjoyed reading Insomnia for a few months, but the recent articles make me concerned about its future.

Establishing the basics establishes that you give considerable attention to the small part of your audience that attempts to engage you in public debate.

Given that you choose to spare no insult to some groups of people in your editorials, you wouldn't expect them to want to do the debate things very respectfully. I saw in a few other threads that you often take care of that issue by banning them, and do not choose to justify that position since they are idiots and you own the place.

I think you are creating a negative feedback loop. You invite harsh attacks, that you will deal with by frequently banning criticism because of its delivery, and that will invite personal attacks.

In the process of fighting this unwinnable war you will alienate your readers, especially the less hardcore you'd like to convince to pick up something different, but will feel like they have been dragged in the middle battle of egos.
Senfi

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Mar 2008 16:35

Your post was my first lol of the day. Thanks!

Senfi wrote:Establishing the basics establishes that you give considerable attention to the small part of your audience that attempts to engage you in public debate.

It does no such thing.

Senfi wrote:Given that you choose to spare no insult to some groups of people in your editorials, you wouldn't expect them to want to do the debate thing very respectfully.

The kinds of people that I insult in my editorials are the kinds of people I would immediately ban if they tried to post in this forum. So it would be impossible for them to debate anything with me, respectfully or otherwise.

Senfi wrote:I saw in a few other threads that you often take care of that issue by banning them, and do not choose to justify that position since they are idiots and you own the place.

Is that not justification enough? It is to me, at any rate.

Senfi wrote:I think you are creating a negative feedback loop. You invite harsh attacks, that you will deal with by frequently banning criticism because of its delivery, and that will invite personal attacks.

In the process of fighting this unwinnable war you will alienate your readers, especially the less hardcore you'd like to convince to pick up something different, but will feel like they have been dragged in the middle battle of egos.

First off, this "war" is not "unwinnable": clearly, I am winning. Second off, those of my readers who are too dumb to understand and support what I am doing can fuck the fuck the right off.

Also, I am not "banning criticism" on my articles. I am just banning stupid criticism, and then only from this forum. Everyone is still free to say whatever they want to say about Insomnia's articles, regardless of how stupid their comments may be, on a billion other websites/blogs/forums, preferably with a lot of links back to this place.

Finally,

Senfi wrote:I enjoyed reading Insomnia for a few months, but the recent articles make me concerned about its future.

Don't you worry about a thing, dude. I've got everything under control. This boat is being steered by a master navigator.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Welcome