default header

Welcome

Technical site issues and updates

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby Some guy » 15 Nov 2015 18:29

Does anyone else see this on the frontpage?

siteissues1.png

siteissues2.png

siteissues3.png
Some guy

Unread postby Amor fati » 15 Nov 2015 19:08

Yes, I get the same. It's probably an issue with the server that the site is located on.
Amor fati

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Dec 2016 20:01

Yep, DreamHost abandoned PHP 5.4 and moved all sites to 5.5 (and they'll be soon moving them to 5.6), and that screwed up Insomnia's custom RocketTheme template. RocketTheme has stopped supporting the template because of its age, so there's no way to fix the issues without being a pretty experienced coder, or hiring one and trusting the site to him. So I just moved Insomnia to GoDaddy, which still supports PHP 5.4. They will also deprecate it eventually, of course, but at that point I am hoping the site will be generating enough money to allow me to move to a dedicated hosting plan, where I can run whatever software I want. For comparison, my current hosting plan with DreamHost costs around $140 a year, but the cheapest dedicated plan costs that much a month, so it's twelve times dearer. There is a second, cheaper option of achieving the same result: a kind of "virtual" server on a cloud, but that's more complicated. In any case, I will look into all options when GoDaddy forces me to, including the option of remaking the site from scratch. However, I am so happy with Insomnia's current look and functionality, that I would rather avoid this option, or at least delay it for as long as possible.

Back to the present, while you are navigating the site be sure to note any issues you may find, and report them here for me to fix. The migration might well have screwed up things not readily apparent.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 29 Dec 2016 13:25

So it doesn't say "Post a new topic" in each subforum, just "Post a new" on the top left. It should also look like a button too, not just text. This graphic is missing from the "Search" button as well.

Forum glitch.png
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Dec 2016 13:50

And there's more. If you scroll to the bottom of that page, or any page like it, you will see the "Who's Online" module twice.

It's baffling how this stuff got screwed up, since everything else in the forum functions perfectly. I will look into fixing it, but I am worried.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 03 Feb 2017 15:42

I can't add or even hotlink certain images. I had to copy the link to an image (http://allgamesdelta.s-ul.eu/PO9Xeivm) in this post: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?f=1&t=5456&p=27663#p27663

JPG files can't be attached but PNG can weirdly.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Feb 2017 15:54

There are thousands upon thousands of JPG images attached in this forum. You can't possibly believe that they "can't be attached" because you failed to attach one of them. Please stop to think about what you are posting for one second before you post it. The amount of stupidity required to make the assertion you just made is mind-boggling. It will break the forum if you keep doing it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 12 Oct 2017 18:54

I just tried to make a new thread in the News subforum and got this message:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x99\x82\x0A\x0A...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: admin@culture.vg

I tried editing the post but I continued to get this message.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Oct 2017 18:58

I just made a thread in the News forum, and then deleted it. Can someone else try too, so we can see if it's just Rory's problem?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 12 Oct 2017 19:14

I just made a thread and deleted it too. Seemed to work fine for me, but I didn't post any links or images. I'll try to make an actual thread this time.
ChevRage

Unread postby Some guy » 14 Oct 2017 12:04

I figured out what the problem was and made the thread (http://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=5935). The text I had copied had an emoticon in it and that was causing the error so I just replaced it with a text smiley.
Some guy

Unread postby ysignal » 04 Jan 2021 02:40

Some of the images on the forum are failing to load in Chrome. Chrome 81+ forbids HTTPS pages from loading images using HTTP. This has broken things like the D&D portraits loaded from dndbattlegrounds.net [ > ]. Chrome automatically "upgrades" HTTP URLs for images on a HTTPS web page to HTTPS, which fails because dndbattlegrounds.net is not accessible via HTTPS. The best solution is to upgrade dndbattlegrounds.net to HTTPS. I don't know of any good workarounds. In the meantime, Firefox still works.
ysignal

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jan 2021 02:56

This means that probably the images loaded from cosmicwar.net in the recent PA threads are also broken on Chrome. So I guess I'll have to upgrade all my sites to HTTPS, which last time I checked wasn't free, though that was a long time ago and maybe things have changed. I'll look into it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Apr 2022 01:48

Site was down for about 24 hours because I switched debit cards and didn't update the details with the hosting provider.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Technical site issues and updates

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Mar 2023 20:38

The pages of the main site aren't working because the indian engineer who fixed the site after he/the company that hired him broke it seems to have messed Joomla up (for more on this diversity drama, check the #welcome text channel on Discord). So the frontpage and the forum pages are working, but not the main site pages (such as older essays or reviews, or the GOTY Awards et al.)

I have it on my list to fix this, along with a million other things. Hopefully I can get it done this week.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Welcome