default header

Welcome

Favorite style(s)?

Moderator: JC Denton

Favorite style(s)?

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Nov 2011 15:51

I am basically using Aeon, the default, for both the main site and the forum. During development I used Nexus quite a bit, and for a while also Marble, but I find Aeon looks better on all types of setups (which is why I chose it as default): from large/hi-res screens to netbooks and the like, whereas Nexus looks really ugly on anything but a large/hi-res monitor, and the others also need some space to look their best.

One thing to note about the main site's style: If you try to switch back and forth between them on the fly you'll end up seeing some pages in the new style you picked, and others in the previous one. The way to do is like this:

1. Decide which style you'd like to use

2. Clear your browser's cache

3. Pick the style

Then use it for as long as you want, and then, when you decide to switch again, follow once more the above procedure.

The forum style, on the other hand, can be switched on the fly with no problems.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 13 Nov 2011 14:33

I prefer dark backgrounds and bright colors on whatever is the focus as my eyes naturally go towards the light, so I haven't given Marble or Haze any more attention than a quick peek. Between them I prefer Haze solely because of its brighter text, which gives more contrast and makes it easier to read.

After the initial sampling I settled with Aeon (probably because it's the darkest and I subconsciously was in "recovery mode" from the "flashbangs" of Marble and Haze). The only problem I had with it was looking at old posts and previewing new one's, i.e. when the purple is used on all of the text, as there isn't much contrast with the background. This thread reminded me of Nexus, which I'm currently using and very happy with. My only reservation is the purple at the top and bottom (the left side of the background pattern) which feels out of place, likely because it reminds me so much of Aeon. I use Nexus for the frontpage now as well, though I might change it back to Aeon at some point.

I like this green color a lot. It's not so bright that it looks like a joke or becomes blinding, and it's not so dark that it becomes straining to read against a black background. It's at the perfect place.

A question: Do you want this thread to focus solely on comparison between the new styles, or is comparison with the old forum/main site also welcome?
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Nov 2011 17:24

This thread is about the new styles, the redesign should be discussed here:

http://culture.vg/forum/topic?f=13&t=103

As for the target post text being purple (or green or red or whatever, depending on the style), that has been on the to-do list for quite some time now, and I just got around to fixing it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ronan » 15 Nov 2011 20:29

I used to prefer the Nexus style, because of the dark background and of the nice green color. However, although I really liked the background images at the top and at the bottom at first, I now think they are much too distracting.

The Haze style is much better in that respect, and it is now clearly my favorite, in spite of the bright background that contrasts too much with the dark grey, and of the blue color that is a bit too pale for my taste.
ronan
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Sep 2012 20:33

I was just browsing the Postback and gamengai forums earlier today, and it struck me how much more pleasant the experience was due to their white backgrounds (and especially gamengai's white/blue one). Black is great too, and has its advantages, on top of looking gorgeous, but after months and years of using it one's eyes may need a little change. All of this made me wish my forum was white too, until I realized that it can be, since I have a bunch of alternate styles I haven't used since I relaunched the site. So I switched the default (forum) style to Haze. If this bothers anyone, just change it back to what it was, or to something else, using the top menu Forum->Choose Style option.

Note that I may also be changing around the frontpage's style to signal that it has been updated with new content, and/or the forum's style again when I get sick of Haze. But like I said, you can always change it back to whatever else you want (and for the frontpage the option on the top menu is Read.Me->Choose Style).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Welcome