default header

News

So you want to read Insomnia for free?

Moderator: JC Denton

So you want to read Insomnia for free?

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Jan 2013 18:14

If you want to read Insomnia for free, here's what you can do. Start 50 News threads, and then send an email to subscriptions@culture.vg in the following format:

Email Subject:

Redeem one-year subscription for user XXXXX

(Where XXXXX is your username.)

Email Body:

Where the "etc." signifies that you continue in the same manner, listing and linking in reverse chronological order (i.e. with the newest thread first) all 50 threads that you have made.

And then you get an extra 12 months added to your current subscription expiration date. Simple as that. And you can keep doing it as much as you want -- pile up 10 years of subscription time if you want for all I care.

As for the kinds of games I am looking for: standard Insomnia fare. I.e. everything except:

1. Shovelware (and you know what shovelware is: Barbie Horse Adventures, etc.)

2. Western student games (Eastern student games, on the other hand, are fine -- they have better students).

3. Realistic 3D sports games (because they are not really videogames: see my Kick Off review). Fantasy-themed sports games are fine.

4. Rhythm games that are not heavily stylized like Space Channel V (because they are not really videogames: see Videogame Culture: Volume II).

These are general guidelines meant to prevent people from flooding the News forum with threads about shitty non-games just to get a free subscription, but there will obviously be borderline cases in which you should exercise your judgment. In those cases, just ask yourself whether you are genuinely interested in the game. If you are, make the thread. I am not going to ban anyone for starting a thread on an "indie" game if they are really interested in it. Braid, Limbo, Journey, Mark of the Ninja, etc., are all games which deserved to have News threads made for them when they were first announced, for example, regardless of the (predictable) fact that they all ended up various degrees of sucking. All I am trying to do with these rules is prevent people from vomiting the TIGSource frontpage here for an easy free subscription.

As for the content of the post: again, standard Insomnia fare. A link with a few screens and or/videos and some copy-pasted text will do fine. If the game has just been announced and there's only 1 piece of artwork on it, then post that. If the game is merely rumored and there's no art assets at all, then just post the rumor. Like I said: standard Insomnia fare, so if you are new here take a look at some other News threads to see how things work.

EDIT: Offer is no longer valid because, due to lack of a response, contribution is now compulsory as explained here: http://culture.vg/features/commentary/n ... rhaul.html
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to News