default header

Theory

Ask me anything

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Feb 2017 22:04

I guess I need to clear something up about this thread.

This thread is not an opportunity for people to ask me any mundane game-related question they might have, like what shot-type I prefer in Mushihime-sama or if I have ever played games in my boxer shorts. This thread is for theory-related questions (which is why it is in the Theory forum) that I have perhaps not answered yet in my essays, or clarifications you may require on the answers I have provided. Don't fill this thread with mundane shit so that it will look "full" to people who think like Helios. Think, and ask deep questions only -- or at least questions that appear deep to you.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Helios » 05 Feb 2017 00:18

I'm talking about the Swamp level in Far Cry 1. You played the game to the end right? And you played on the higher difficulty settings? It seems like something that should stand out, it's pretty infamous.

I could write several paragraphs explaining how bad the section is. I originally wrote out a huge rant about it but decided not to include it, because I don't think it would be appropriate. To summarize the Swamp is extremely difficult (in a bad way), makes the rest of Far Cry seem like you are playing on God-mode. It has every conceivable design flaw that could exist for an on-rails section plus new ones I never knew could exist. But it's right near the end of the game during the big climax so you really want to endure it finish the game.

I've given up on it and it half-way ruined the game for me since that's what my dominate memories of it are about. Sometimes I think I should go back and beat it so my negative emotional energy towards that part will sink and allow the good memories to rise up. On the other hand if I give up again, it will probably have the reverse effect and I'll just despise the game in it's entirety.

On the subject of pacing in games. Since my last question was too specific. If you had several games you wanted to play and they were all different genres would play them in an alternating fashion (ie after you do a fast paced arcade game you play a more thoughtful turn based game), do them in batches (all turn based games first) or some other method? Or is this just the type of question where there is no real broad formula?
Helios

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Feb 2017 01:09

You said that I said that Far Cry is my favorite game, but I've never said that. So you are just making stuff up.

And no, I haven't finished FC1 either, though I did get quite far in it. Though apparently not far enough to reach that segment you have a problem with. Though again I doubt I would have as much of a problem with it as you and others seem to have. Your issue sounds trivial to me, and would certainly not affect my evaluation of the entire game leading up to it. Though, again, all this shit's off-topic here since this is the Theory forum as you may have noticed and as I've tried explaining.

Helios wrote:On the subject of pacing in games. Since my last question was too specific. If you had several games you wanted to play and they were all different genres would play them in an alternating fashion (ie after you do a fast paced arcade game you play a more thoughtful turn based game), do them in batches (all turn based games first) or some other method? Or is this just the type of question where there is no real broad formula?

I would just play whatever I felt like playing, dood. Your asking me this question and your incapacity to realize that you are posting in the Theory forum of the website tells me that perhaps you shouldn't be posting in the Theory forum at all since you don't seem to have any theoretical concerns or to even understand the meaning of the concept. So take a few weeks to read the site more, and then perhaps come back here. But please stop filling this thread with boring low-level stuff. You sound very young and very ignorant and very naive, and I hate to say it, not incredibly intelligent either, and this is the absolute WORST area of the site for you to be posting in. I don't know of any more diplomatic way to put it, and if you fail to take the hint I will have to be a lot more blunt. So take the hint, please.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Feb 2017 01:15

Your question about pacing even makes it sounds as if you don't play games at all.

Sometimes I feel like only playing strategy games FOR MONTHS. For entire months I only want to play strategy games.

And other months I only want to play arcade games. In Japan I played arcade games almost exclusively for nearly THREE YEARS.

The way you phrased your question you make it sound as if there are people who sit down and play 12 genres in one day.

Anyway, enough. No more of this dumb shit in this thread, please.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Feb 2017 01:21

May I suggest, as a way of leaving the Theory forum in peace, of going to the Far Cry thread and writing an essay about the swamp level you hate? Here is the thread:

http://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=4806

Have fun.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby hammeroth » 25 Mar 2017 17:24

Hi icycalm, so I think this question will sound pretty pretentious, but for various reasons I am interested in it, obviously your books must address this question.

What do you think are some key causes of bad taste in art? For example, in movies, you wrote once that Marvel movies were like the ultimate form of movie. I'm not saying I have good taste, but I find them kitschy, frenetic and cliched. Even if they overturn cliches, they seem very predictable and manipulative in how they present their ideas. Therefore I find it hard to relate to the hype of current releases. The more they are influenced by current ideas, the more difficult it is to find some "truth" or psychological resonance through them. One could also say that more than truth, one wants to be surprised, but surprise isn't worth it, if it doesn't make sense.

So given how the world of media works and how it creates senseless BS in order to make us feel surprised, what does it take for an auteur to have artistic taste and to present an honest idea?
hammeroth

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Mar 2017 19:09

It's not really possible to enjoy comic book movies if you haven't been reading the comic books (and of course effeminate males don't read comic books, or at least not the good ones). As for why, this is not a videogame-related question. So if you are dying for an answer you can post it in the Orgy forum, or just wait until I answer it in my new art criticism site, Critical Guide.

As for the rest, I have nothing to say to you. Pretty much everything you said is disgusting to me and I don't subscribe to a word of it. I wouldn't even know where to begin to debunk it. The "media world" creates "senseless BS" lol. What does that have to do with Jack Kirby or Frank Miller? The "media world" that fags like you hate is ACTUAL PEOPLE. And if their works are "senseless" to you how is that anyone else's problem?

Bleh. I am going back to my "media world" and I will leave you with your effeminate pretentiousness. Have fun hating everything. Or even worse: pretending that you hate it, if that is the case here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby hammeroth » 03 Apr 2017 04:08

To clarify, I don't hate movies, games or the people that create them (although there are a lot of douchebags). But I am talking about hype and cultural "tropes" if you will, that i find predictable, vacuous and/or disingenuous. I am saying this tends to lessen my enjoyment of movies, games, etc. This is because I prefer when movies have something honest or well thought out to say, rather than something "culturally relevant" which is the problem I am trying to point at. I see that some games have also taken this direction. Then, when i say "media world" (which ok, may be a stupid term), i am talking of the world of gamers, movie fans, the reviewers and all of the people who tend to comment on these products. I acknowledge than between these people all sorts of controversies arise, which I'm interested in understanding. I'm not talking about "finding truth in Iron Man", i'm talking about the current trend in movies and whether it just has entertainment value or has actually something more to say. I'm not saying those movies are bad, but in the end they seem like lacking substance, sometimes... and the same applies to games, which nowadays also seem to want to be "culturally relevant" considering the perspectives they represent and I think they fail at this.

Having explained this, I think it is indeed pointless to carry on given that you prefer to insult and/or psychoanalyze in your own way people who may disagree with you or that maybe are not as skilled in expressing their views. I don't feel like apologizing for a text that was written as an honest question but which you may find effeminate or disgusting, it is your forum after all.
Last edited by hammeroth on 03 Apr 2017 04:14, edited 1 time in total.
hammeroth

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Apr 2017 04:13

hammeroth wrote:I am saying this tends to lessen my enjoyment of movies, games, etc. This is because I prefer when movies have something honest or well thought out to say

Yes, because Iron Man is not honest.

Or as if you would ever understand anything "well thought out" that a movie would have to say, you pretentious hypocrite.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby hammeroth » 03 Apr 2017 04:16

I'm not talking about Iron Man specifically, I don't get what's your problem.
hammeroth

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Apr 2017 04:17

Go watch Crash or Babel or Brokeback Mountain, or whatever other pseudo-intellectual garbage gets you off, and leave me with my dishonest movies that have "nothing to say".

I have already explained on Orgy how subhumans look for "meaning" in art and entertainment in philosophy, instead of the other way around. You seem to embody every single artfag/pseudo-intellectual stereotype I rail against in my essays, and I feel like vomiting after reading a post of yours. Just go away already.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Apr 2017 04:42

He's so dumb he doesn't even get the concept of an example.

He's so dumb he doesn't even realize where he is. I don't even think he's trolling: he's too dumb to even be capable of trolling. He really doesn't realize that he is on a site that fucking HATES people like him so much that, not only would I not lose any sleep, but I would sleep BETTER at night if I had personally murdered every single lifeform on the planet that thinks like him the day before.

And this complete and utter vile pseudo-intellectual subhuman shits up precisely the deepest and most valuable thread in the deepest and most valuable board in the forum. As if he has a homing device in his brain that picks up the LEAST appropriate space on the entire site for him to post in. This thread, and the Theory forum in general, attracts morons like honey attracts flies. (I will actually explain on Orgy soon why this is so.)

The first time I banned you was undeserved, but if you ever EVER post in the Theory forum again, I will ban you for life, deservedly this time.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Theory