default header

Theory

Keep Your Deficiencies To Yourselves

Moderator: JC Denton

Keep Your Deficiencies To Yourselves

Unread postby icycalm » 19 May 2021 23:40

https://www.patreon.com/posts/42091956

icycalm wrote:When you talk to us about your preferences, you can expect nothing other than ridicule and contempt...

Article about how the Switch is better because technology doesn’t matter in technology-heavy artforms:

BEHOLD THE EMPEROR'S NEW CONSOLES! - BY MR BIFFO
https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page ... y-mr-biffo

What makes an utter mockery of all this is Nintendo's Switch, probably the most beloved games console on the market right now, yet it refuses to play by the same rules. It can't even display its graphics in 1080p, yet it makes not a single jot of difference to how glorious its games are.

I love seeing journalists btfo by their own readers:

So, I'm one of these 'consumerist morons' who dares care about fidelity. As such I have a PC over four times more powerful than the Xbox One X and a 75" 4K display. I don't care what anyone else has, and I'm not here to boast, I'm here to confirm that yes: 1) You absolutely cannot tell the benefits from a YouTube video. 2) Because you can't, people assume the benefits of 4K are small, this is again not true. Compression removes that extra detail and even 4K YouTube videos are very, very lossy.

In essence, you have to see it for yourself. It's a failing of 4K that it can't sell itself till you actually sit down in front of it, but I guarantee that if any one of you sat in front of my set-up and fired up AC: Origins, for example, at 4K max settings and at 60fps, your face would come to a complete, dumbstruck stop as it came to the end of a long, drawn-out 'Oooooooooh'.

Many games running at this sort of fidelity become INCREDIBLY immersive. Everywhere you look is absolutely stunning, the level of detail near-photographic.

People play games for different reasons. Me, I play to be immersed. It is escapism. I can't escape by jumping on Bowser's head.

I don't have a bad word to say about Nintendo. Truly, I get it. But it's also not for me. No matter how good a Mario game is I have zero interest in hopping up and down on platforms. You don't give a damn, we get it, but really, if someone handed you my set-up, I'm willing to bet your Switch would barely see the light of day.

Sadly, he doesn’t just btfo the journalist, he also btfo essentially all gamers, the overwhelming majority of whom continue playing supercomputer-powered games on Game Boy-sized 27-inch monitors.

This Biffo buffoon was an old contributor to Edge magazine. Pathetic to see how low he has fallen, scribbling forum-level screeds in old age.

That’s why death is a good thing, lads. This is a philosophical subject, but imagine for a while a whole planet full of over-the-hill creatures like him? Death cleanses them out, and for the overwhelming majority of old people it can’t come soon enough. Very few remain creative and alive to the senses in old age. Everyone else is just a parasite by that point.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Keep Your Deficiencies To Yourselves

Unread postby icycalm » 19 May 2021 23:53

I get a mention too.

Super Mario Bros. 3 looks incredible for the hardware and the time it was released, and Nintendo released a 'remastered' version on SNES a few years later.

You come across like a pound shop icycalm, fella.

Pound shop is the Brit version of dollar store.

There are loads more comments trashing him.

When your readers are schooling you in the comments, they should be writing the site and you should retire.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory