default header

Theory

GM-powered CRPGs (GMRPGs)

Moderator: JC Denton

GM-powered CRPGs (GMRPGs)

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Nov 2021 18:14

Outward, Remnant and the GM-powered Future of First-person Multiplayer WRPGs
https://www.patreon.com/posts/58453619

icycalm wrote:Do you understand that when WRPGs jumped from isometric to third- and first-person, they KILLED the co-op?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: GM-powered CRPGs (GMRPGs)

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Apr 2022 04:38

The Year of the GMRPG
https://www.patreon.com/posts/64776224

icycalm wrote:If the Foundry news has you excited, and you envy all the groups that will be playing that stuff, what WE'll be playing will be orders of magnitude more advanced, and no one else in the world will be playing it. There will never have been a more exclusive game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Apr 2022 00:03

Wrath of the Righteous is on sale today for 35% off and its DLCs for 25%. I also got a discount for owning Kingmaker I think, so I got everything for €69,22 because I am going to need to grab some assets from it soon for my TaleSpire campaign.

I have not the slightest interest in playing this game, now or ever. If you'd asked me a few months ago, I would have said, sure, I'll play it some day, when I get a breather from running my Battlegrounds campaigns. But buying this today, I now realize it wouldn't make any sense to play it ever. If I had ten spare hours on a weekend to play this CRPG, I'd rather get one of my teams together and play on Fantasy Grounds. With four teams, and soon five, it's almost impossible for all of them to be unavailable any given day. And even if they are, that's when I can sit down and read some of the tens of thousands of Paizo book pages that I need to know in order to run the game optimally. It'd be a complete waste of time for me to set aside time to play any CRPG at this point, and at any time in the future.

icycalm to CRPG designers: "So, uh, everyone in your games is still immortal?"

CRPG designers: "Sure thing!"

icycalm: "And how do you get drama?"

CRPG designers: "Ummmm... we don't?"

icycalm: "Ok, thanks guys."

The only thing CRPGs are good for at this point is their assets.

Larian's apparently are locked in a proprietary format, so it might be tough getting those, but Owlcat's so far seem easy.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 May 2022 03:02

https://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=35411#p35411

icycalm wrote:BrotherHanan's sets for the Dimension 20 show. They look like some JRPG, but with actual mechanics and interactive story. And it is only the beginning.

Notice how I unconsciously reach for cinema production terms like "sets" instead of traditional videogame terms like "levels" because that's what best describes what's happening here: This is a live interactive movie, and BrotherHanan is the set designer here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory