default header

Theory

The End of the Tyranny of Programmers

Moderator: JC Denton

Re: The End of the Tyranny of Programmers

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Mar 2022 01:08

https://twitter.com/julybwrites/status/ ... 3405253635

lgbtrophy wife @julybwrites wrote:one small resentment w programs like talespire or one more multiverse or anything like that is that in addition to writing, performing, keeping track of rules, scheduling, etc etc some folks are now going to expect DMs to be pro bono video game designer/programmers too

It's relevant.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Sep 2022 16:17

https://steamcommunity.com/app/903950/e ... 3732594254

CaptainCookie wrote:Let me translate for my friends who don't understand Jackass.

"Dev tools" means these "testers" and "devs" simply use console and chat commands to make their lives easy.

They Sethealth to whatever they like, i like 999999 but that's just me.
Then they use Freebuiling 1 so that they can do just that, build/craft anything, any quality, for free.

So, 2 mins after logging in, they have Legendary walkers, legendary weapons, full Torque, all the ammo you could ever need, and of course, legendary gear sets and placeholders like the rupu desecrator armour, that just makes you naked, nice tits by the way, and an "unfinished" helmet...

Then off they go to cheese anything on the map. They have no actual idea of what the real players need to do to get to that level of geared, they also have no sense of loss, because anything is immediately replaced, for free, they dont bother looking at the trade stations quests, because they have already just GiveItem currency 500000 and have no need to make flots, if they did read the quest, they would realise that there is no way anyone can even carry 300-400 javalins or whatever, so that never actually gets fixed.

This is why the testers and devs are so far detached from the player base, we are not playing the same game at all.

I think its time for another live stream from these devs, where they are forced to play this as it is, no cheats, just solo on a rarity map and lets see how that goes, lets see if chadz is really having fun with his new idea or if its all just a big scam?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jul 2023 23:44

This is hilarious, you gotta listen to this. A few weeks ago I saw a video of Baldur's Gate as depicted in BG3, and I was going to make a post about it: it will be the biggest city in a CRPG ever. Nothing like a real GMRPG city, but huge by CRPG standards. And then a few days ago, a whole controversy started where developers from various companies started jeering at Larian, enviously whining that BG3 is an "anomaly" and that players shouldn't expect that level of scope and detail in future games from them.

Studios consider Baldur's Gate 3 anomaly: "It's Rockstar-level nonsense for scope"
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/studios- ... 9D.1658842

diffusionx wrote:NOOO YOU CANT HOLD OUR GAME TO THE STANDARDS OF OTHER GAMES IN THE SAME GENRE ITS NOT FAIR NOOOOOO

Why devs consider Baldur's Gate 3 anomaly
https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/c ... _3_anomaly

brasswirebrush wrote:How can you not be excited when before the game is even out, other studios are already pushing back saying "please don't hold all of us to this insane standard".

And this isn't even TaleSpire or Menyr lol, BG3 is a Game Boy microgame compared to them. Imagine the level of whining from the programmers when they see TaleSpire and Menyr lol. And THAT isn't even my Battlegrounds that blends 50 campaigns and 20 rule systems and settings lol.

The above controversy is merely the first stage in the end of the tyranny of programmers. In about a decade from now, we won't even know any programmers' names, and no one will bother with their whining any more. They will be forever making minigames on Steam for 100 IQ midwits, and no one with 130 IQ will even have a Steam account at that point. The whole of Steam will have in fact migrated inside Star Citizen, as downloadable modules for your apartment's arcade machines.

Mark my words.

When have I ever been wrong?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory