default header

Theory

A Gamer’s Battlefield

Moderator: JC Denton

A Gamer’s Battlefield

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Oct 2022 03:22

https://www.unz.com/mwhitney/putins-win ... nt-5615075

Timur The Lame wrote:It is interesting to observe the old truism of militaries, especially in the age of modernization always having to go through a period of adjustment before a full on bare knuckle fight takes place.

Just as the machine gun eliminated cavalry in WW1 ( Western front), and the tank changed battlefield tactics in WW2 (Blitzkrieg), plus the aircraft carrier, and air power in general eliminating battleships it still took time especially for the complacent ‘winners’ to recognize these changes.

Military schools and the actual military structure is highly bureaucratic hence slow and downright stubborn to change. Added to which the huge armaments industry doesn’t want to change their production runs for what would now appear to be obsolete weapons.

For this reason I think that less attention was paid by both sides to all the mind numbing and cheap high tech whizz-bangs that are available especially with various co-ordinations and combinations, most notably satellites and drones. Or they are working out the kinks.

The low battle longevity of tanks and the sinking of the Moskva would be initial evidence of this. It is obvious that the US didn’t take the full lesson of Vietnam to heart judging by their major adventures in the last couple of decades. They can’t seem to shake the ‘air power wins everything’ mentality though in fact it hasn’t won them anything by itself. The Israelis however I believe did not ignore the lessons of the drubbing they took from Hezbollah in 2006.

I mention this because of all the “winter offensive” talk. This isn’t 1942. A respite yes, but a change of seasons does not influence cyber warfare or missile or drone activity. It is a gamer’s battlefield.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Theory