Planetary Annihilation

[PC] [MAC] Planetary Annihilation

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Oct 2014 03:00

We have until October 26 to sign up two new players for Clan Wars. chevvy will be one of them; post here if you want to be the other. If no one wants the spot I'll just sign up only chevvy.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Oct 2014 16:58

The Reich clan that we played with the other day is getting trashed in the forum, and I am doing my best to defend them:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/thes ... ate.65405/

Aint gonna work, but I at least I tried.

I wrote:What about if I made a clan called Soviet Empire? Do you little hypocritical politically correct gamers who salivate at the idea of playing a war game where entire planets are being blown apart have any idea how many millions the Soviets executed?

Or how about Chinese Red Empire? Can I make a clan with that name?

Or how about United States of America? Do the names Hiroshima and Nagasaki mean anything to you?

Or how about British Empire?

Greek Empire?

Roman Empire?

Mongol Empire?

Hypocrites.

I wrote:How about all you little nerds stop trying to play "social revenge warrior" and take a break from the internet and read some proper books now and then, huh?

http://insomnia.ac/essays/evil_and_misfortune/

Jean Baudrillard wrote:In reality, the only genuinely pessimistic, nihilistic vision is that of good since, at bottom, from the humanist point of view, the whole of history is nothing but crime. Cain killing Abel is already a crime against humanity (there were only two of them!) and isn't original sin already a crime against humanity too? This is all absurd, and, from the standpoint of good, the effort to rehabilitate the world's violence is a hopeless exercise. All the more so as, without all these crimes, there simply wouldn't be any history.

"If the evil in man were eliminated," says Montaigne, "you would destroy the fundamental conditions of life."
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 22 Oct 2014 00:33

The huge planet we played on today was fucking incredible. There were so many units that I had to lower my graphics down to the absolute minimum (subsampling lol) just to be able to play the game without my computer shitting itself and forcing me to restart it.

[Pic removed. -icy]

Here's a pic of some mortars shelling the stragglers of a huge army (we were red). Once I upgrade I want to be able to take some shots as nice as the screens icy linked.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Oct 2014 00:41

Yeah, I removed your pic because it was really ugly. The point is to encourage people to play with us not discourage them. Besides which, I really don't want to uglify this thread or any other.

But you can see why that moron Lowell thought this is an ugly game. If you play on low detail, and zoom all the way in -- yes, it's ugly. But when you are playing the game you should never zoom all the way in anyway, and if you are at a medium zoom, even in low detail, the game looks great (because you are looking at the strategic icons then).

On Uber detail there's no problems at any zoom level, but none of the best players in our team right now can play on anywhere near Uber detail, and even if they could I would still ask them to lower it because it's one thing to play on Uber when you have 100 units, and another when you have 5,000, which is something that can happen on the longer games.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 22 Oct 2014 20:21

Clan Wars announcement:

This is just a reminder that any new player or system submissions must be in by midnight UTC on the 26th October.

There's a useful topic that might be of interest on how to avoid stalemates in your system design - https://forums.uberent.com/threads/lets ... tes.65331/

We were looking to move Clan Wars to a custom server, but currently clients cannot reconnect to custom servers. Until this issue has been resolved by modders or Uber we will continue to use Uber servers.

Regards,

Quitch
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Oct 2014 20:49

Bad news, but let's go ahead with the test tonight anyway. Who knows, maybe a modder will solve the reconnection problem by November 22.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Oct 2014 05:22

When I started playing I was wondering if I'd get even a couple of people to play with me lol.

pa-friends.png

Dusanak is just a guy from the PA forum who wants to play against us. Everyone else is an Insomnia subscriber. And I haven't even written my review yet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Oct 2014 05:37

And Masa, you are supposed to be approximately four times better than recoil. You should basically be able to carry the entire team on your own by now. You should be able to play a 1v10 against all the beginners in our group who have 1-20 hours in the game, and win.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 23 Oct 2014 07:23

I notified Quitch about the planet change to 1000 radius.
recoil

Unread postby ChevRage » 25 Oct 2014 16:45

Hey icy, here's that reminder you wanted about signing me up for Clan Wars. If you have already, their website hasn't updated to reflect that.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Oct 2014 00:16

I just registered your account on their website. Now we need recoil to email Quitch to add you to Clan Wars. The deadline is in about 22 hours from now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 26 Oct 2014 21:28

You're good to go chevvy. Quitch will be working to get you on the roster soon.
recoil

Unread postby recoil » 10 Nov 2014 17:23

Hi all,

We're looking to jazz up our backgrounds, overlays and videos for Clan Wars. To that end, can you let me know whether your clan has an official logo, and if so, please provide me with the highest resolution copy you have?

Thanks.

Quitch

Also, November 22nd is coming up. Who's in? Let's get some practice games in this weekend.
recoil

Unread postby Qpo » 10 Nov 2014 20:54

I'm up for the game, but this Friday (14th) and Saturday (15th) I'll be busy and won't be able to play. I'm all game Sunday (16th) though.
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Nov 2014 21:37

Here's the logo:

I will probably make the game on the 22nd, but I am not sure about practice this weekend. If I don't make it though, it will be a great chance for recoil to practice my role in the Elysium game, i.e. economy+production in the megabase, and the general direction of the war (i.e. when to go T2/orbital and the like).

The strategy still remains undefeated when I am playing, except when infernovia is also playing. If the opponents are below us we win even with infernovia, but if they are on our level or above infernovia's drain of our resources means that we don't really have a megabase anymore, and Masa's army is weaker and not capable of wiping out pretty much anything.

In short, Masa would be nice to have in the Elysium game and infernovia in the Promethean system game (where he can have his own planet), but now that jeff and chevvy know the game reasonably well we can live without either of them if they can't make it. No one else likes and plays the game enough to be able to join us on Clan Wars without completely sinking our effort. Tons of people bought the game, but they are not playing it (or they are playing it alone, which amounts to the same thing), so they are useless to us. Rory might be able to help eventually, but his computer can't handle the large systems, and I find that he plays the game at an unacceptably leisurely pace. There's not enough urgency in his actions and voice when he's playing, and I tend to feel that I need to push him to work faster the entire game. I think Paradox games have ruined him for this genre or something. Or RTS it just not in his DNA.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Masahiro9891 » 12 Nov 2014 00:37

I should be available for the 22, but I don't know for a fact at this point. I'll be free this weekend to play though.
Masahiro9891
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby ChevRage » 12 Nov 2014 02:13

I'm in for this weekend.
ChevRage

Unread postby infernovia » 12 Nov 2014 04:41

I can't play Friday and Saturday this weekend. I am still not sure about next weekend yet, but I will try to make it.
infernovia

Unread postby recoil » 12 Nov 2014 16:15

Awesome, we got ourselves a team.

As for this weekend, I'll be up around 7PM UTC.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Nov 2014 18:55

I am heading off to buy a new laptop. If all goes well (i.e. if the model that I want isn't out of stock), I should be back and ready to play in a couple of hours.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Nov 2014 22:48

The laptop's price (1,199 euros) was over my debit card's daily limit, and tomorrow the store is closed :( so practice without me, and I'll be back home on my desktop by next week for the game 100%.

Try sticking to the strategy. If you want to make adjustments, don't make them too wild, and make sure recoil, who will be calling the shots, has given you the okay. And play both on our system and Promethean's. Not sure if they've updated their system like we did. Above all, have fun guys. Wish I could be playing too. I missed the damn game the past couple of weeks.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 18 Nov 2014 02:52

I am going to be busy Saturday, sorry guys.
infernovia

Unread postby Masahiro9891 » 19 Nov 2014 03:25

I won't be available on Saturday either guys, sorry.
Masahiro9891
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Nov 2014 14:18

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/clan ... st-1035783

proeleert wrote:Looking forward to saturday ! The Cult vs. Promethean

Damn these guys! I would feel so guilty letting them down, that I have to push myself to play even if it's not especially convenient to me. I am going out again to buy that frigging laptop today (going by the bank first to withdraw the cash), and will be playing PA non-stop between today and Saturday. Who's gonna be available for then? If Qpo, recoil, jeff and chevvy can all make it, we could have jeff play on one game and chevvy on the other on Saturday.

Also, maybe Qpo wants to play clan liaison and do the interviews on Saturday? I would like to use a different person every time for this function, simply because it's a fun part of the whole show, and it's good to have everyone participate. I am gonna go on too at some point (I am just waiting until we get good enough to win, so I can gloat about my strategic prowess).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 19 Nov 2014 14:47

I'm available to play. And I'll definitely have to get some practise sessions in beforehand as well.
ChevRage

PreviousNext

Return to Online