Planetary Annihilation

[PC] [MAC] Planetary Annihilation

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jan 2015 20:26

We now have a time, 9PM UTC on Sunday. We are shooting for 7v7s nominally, but we'll play 5v5s or 6v6s if we don't have enough people, or 9v9s or 10v10s if we have more, and so on. We'll decide on the exact format on the day depending on turnout. Also, Promethean is thinking of joining us. So it could be 7v7v7s, or it could be each clan faces each other in turn as in the last Clan Wars fixture. Is the time good for you Rory? Who else is in?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 21 Jan 2015 20:41

I'm in.

Also, I'll be testing the server three hours from now.
recoil

Unread postby Some guy » 21 Jan 2015 20:47

I should be in, a friend of mine is visiting me this weekend but they should be gone before 9UTC. It looks like this game could go on for more than two hours though and I can't really stay beyond 11UTC so I might have to just drop out around that time.
Some guy

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 21 Jan 2015 20:48

I'm in.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby danjiro » 21 Jan 2015 22:10

I'd love to play with you guys again. Not quite at 20 hours yet, but I'll be online racking up more hours over the next few days.
danjiro

Unread postby ChevRage » 21 Jan 2015 22:55

I'd love to play, but I've been sick all week and I don't really have the concentration to play a game as involved as PA at the moment, and I'm not sure how long this illness is going to last.

I'm free at the time, so if I get better by then I'll let you guys know. Sounds awesome though, so I might play even if I'm not 100% if you guys will have me.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2015 01:28

How good is your computer and connection? We could use a spectator streaming the matches and perhaps casting. But I'd like the game to be on full detail...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 22 Jan 2015 02:36

I probably won't be able to do any kind of streaming with the internet I have now. It's only a max of 64 KBps upload. Seriously... We Australians get really fucked here in regards to internet, especially if we live in the city.

My computer is really outdated too. I've had to lower my graphics down to low with subsampling on (the lowest settings available) in order to play the game on our home system without the game crashing. I'm sure it'll run better while just spectating but I'm not sure how much better; I'll probably be able to get at least a medium. Maybe.

Sorry to not be much help. :(
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2015 15:41

Man, if your computer and your internet are so slow, I can see why you were having so much trouble in the last Clan Wars games. And don't you generally also crash a lot? If you crash on our server you are out for good, since there is no reconnection possible on custom servers currently.

Maybe you could watch the games on Twitch and moderate the chat? We are already getting shittalking on our D:OS games that only have a dozen viewers, and this could well attract several times as many, from the PA forums no less, where almost everyone hates me.

And if you are feeling better and we don't have enough players, you can always jump in the game and give it a try. It's your choice, but if you are around that time I am sure we'll find something for you to do. Same goes for everyone else. Even better would be to get someone to moderate the chat who doesn't even play PA, in order not to waste any potential players on this task. As long as you enjoy watching us play, you can do that while also helping cultivate a little following for us on Twitch.

So, so far I have:

icycalm
recoil
Some guy
jeffrobot494
danjiro
chevvy

Any more takers? I am hoping some of the new guys will be in too, but I can't count on it.
Last edited by icycalm on 22 Jan 2015 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2015 15:46

Also, recoil, try to see if you can get us on the most expensive Amazon servers on Sunday. We are currently at $1/hour and I've heard that there is also a $2/hour service. Try the highest one you can find.

Even better, when you find some time, would be to look for another service that offers servers with the highest possible clock speed per core. This is apparently the limiting factor in how fast the sim will run, since the sim is not multi-threaded. (The game as a whole is, but not the part of the game which determines if there is sim lag or not.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2015 16:41

cultrepresent.png

CULT|gmase REPRESENT!

Now he just needs to get into platinum. It's only one slot up after all.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2015 16:44

What we could do is send friend invites to all those gold players up there, who don't seem to be in any clans, and invite them to join. Same with the platinum rank. (I don't think it would work with the top 10 uber players, but if we can get a bunch of gold and a couple of platinum ones we are set. We don't want them to knock us out of our own clan after all, lol.) Start messaging people if you have some time.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Hanged Man » 22 Jan 2015 17:57

I'm up for Sunday, if you don't mind me not having 20 hours yet. Also I can record the matches (my upload speed seems to be too shitty for streaming).
Hanged Man

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2015 18:50

THM... I don't think you like the game, and it's not fun playing with people who don't like the game. If you liked the game you would already be playing it, you would not need an event such as this to draw you in. You are basically joining us for the group camaraderie, not for the game. We are already facing superior opponents who even the best of our players have trouble defeating, but if we add to our roster people who need to be micromanaged for every move they make the game will become impossible for us. I mean you are not even offering to go up to 20 hours until Sunday. Your offer is beyond lame.

If you like the game play it, but if you don't like the game don't try to join us and bring everyone down. I am only allowing danjiro to play because he seems to be willing to actually improve.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2015 19:10

Also, the internal 2v2 and 3v3 we played yesterday were a lot of fun. The first was very evenly matched and hotly contested throughout, and the second was a bit uneven but still fun, and now that I know the capabilities of the new players I can make future matchups more even. If you add to this our large team games that we can organize on our own server every couple of weeks, I don't really see why we need anyone else to keep playing PA and having fun with it -- even more fun than we had on Clan Wars, since we can balance the teams as much as we want to make sure we get even matches (with, e.g. 4v5s or 5v7s etc. with eco modifiers if need be).

So, I am withdrawing us from Clan Wars for good, including from future seasons. You saw Quitch's response to my complaints about his behavior above: he didn't even bother to acknowledge them. And it was the same with the problems over color choice we were having at the start of the season: not the slightest attempt to work with me and find a solution. It's true that he agreed to let us not do the interviews, but I suspect he only did it to end Clan Wars on a good note, as opposed to being forced to tell everyone that The Cult has withdrawn from the league's ultimate fixture, and I suspect we won't be welcome for season 2 anyway. But however that may be, I do not want to participate any longer in a tournament overseen by Quitch. If Exodus replaces Quitch as tournament director in time for our RLM fixture, we'll play, and if Quitch is not the organizer for season 2, we'll play there too (and as long as we are allowed to speak our minds freely on the interviews, or be excused from them altogether and not be forced to do them).

But, overall, I just don't need in my life the sheer wall of negativity and pure hatred directed at me and, to a lesser extent, at all of us, from the "competitive" PA community. If Exodus can replace Quitch with someone actually competent, and take steps to INSULATE us from the community's more toxic elements, then I WILL BE GLAD TO PARTICIPATE. But if that doesn't happen, or until it happens, we will be playing large team games between us and with whatever other groups of people decide to join us by posting in my large team games thread.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jan 2015 22:03

I found a relatively quick and easy way to grow the clan ridiculously to the point where I can have hundreds of players within a couple of weeks if I want to. I've already started doing it and within a couple weeks we'll be able to play 10v10s every day if we want to. Once we know all the players well we can even divide ourselves into balanced teams and play out our own tournaments. And I am sure that within those hundreds of players there will be a couple with a flair for casting and so on, so we'll put all our stuff on Twitch and YouTube and attract even more players. No one's doing large team games and I don't even think there's a single 10v10 or even 7v7 or 6v6 video on YouTube yet, so I'll take over that aspect of the game and show people how it's done and how much fun it can be. The finished review will also analyze this aspect of the game, which is the future of PA and real-time strategy, at great length, and everyone involved will have tons of fun and grow and prosper. I am getting back to work then, and hit me up on Steam if anyone wants to play tonight.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2015 01:12

Beat VoW on a 4v5 (we were 5) and lost on a 3v3. Nice games. And great unit cannon comm-snipes by Federico.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2015 04:09

This is the first game with VoW:

http://www.pastats.com/chart?gameId=274204

My APM has gone up considerably (second highest player in this game), but this was probably because we spawned in a hurry and everyone did everything and it was a very chaotic game. I had given up at some point and was about to surrender, but Federico pushed us to keep going, and we won in the end with the help of his snipes.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 23 Jan 2015 15:12

I'm cool to moderate the chat. How difficult could it be?

Even if I'm fine to play, and you have more than enough people willing to play, I might step aside and let others play instead. Since you're right icy, I might end up disconnecting and then you're up against an extra guy with no backup. It feels pretty shitty being that dude and letting everybody down.

I'm working on upgrading my PC though! Just the other day I got a GTX 780 Ti graphics card, so now I just have to swap out the bottlenecking CPU and RAM and I'll be good to go. But it's probably going to be in another month or so. And definitely not in time for the game.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2015 15:34

Always good to hear people are upgrading. I am playing on Uber detail currently, and the game is even more engrossing like this. I find myself stop giving orders and just zooming around to see stuff lol.

We got around 10 new players since yesterday, and we'll be getting about that many every day of the week from now. Can't wait for our first internal 10v10s. We'll stream everything and the Twitch channel will get huge.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2015 15:39

What I will do is make 10 or 20 people moderators on the Twitch stream, and then when someone sits out a match, he can hop on and moderate. I'll keep the moderators restricted to Insomnia forum people, who I can trust more.

The general rule of moderating the stream should be this:

1. Make the call on whether the offender is malicious or simply ignorant

2. If he is malicious ban with extreme prejudice

3. If he is ignorant be nice to him and explain stuff

Let them say negative things, but not with malicious intent, that's the key to it. If you have to talk to them a bit in order to determine what's up, do it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Hanged Man » 23 Jan 2015 21:28

I'd like to fight in the moderating layer, maybe that's something I could handle!
Hanged Man

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2015 22:45

Sure.

Also. I know you are making a joke, and it's a good one, but I still want to stress that we should not see this as a fight with the viewers. It WILL be a fight, because there WILL be trolls and assholes, but try not to ban anyone who doesn't deserve it. Lord knows I make this mistake too from time to time, it's unavoidable in the long run, but don't go power-tripping on me, is what I am saying.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Hanged Man » 23 Jan 2015 23:31

Yeah, gotcha. My plan is to only ban obvious trolls and everybody else can get a warning and then a timeout if they're way too disrespectful. I don't think it's gonna get to that though, hopefully the hype will offset the negativity.
Hanged Man

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2015 23:53

Sometimes it's okay to leave a couple of disrespectful people around, if only because they post stuff and then others reply to their stuff and there's some extra chatting going on. For the sake of traffic, if you get me. And I mean it all gets wiped every 5 minutes anyway, it's not like the forum, where you don't want to leave shit lying around anywhere. So drop the banhammer on the really disruptive people, and let everyone else say their peace. If in doubt, copy-paste the chat in a text document, and show it to me when I drop in, and I'll make the call.
icycalm
Hyperborean

PreviousNext

Return to Online