Planetary Annihilation

[PC] [MAC] Planetary Annihilation

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby Qpo » 19 Nov 2014 15:47

Other times I've been a clan liaison it's all been through text, so jumping over to their TeamSpeak and being actually interviewed sounds like fun!
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Nov 2014 15:49

And you'll have it on YouTube afterwards. It will be a fun memento from our time with PA.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 19 Nov 2014 16:06

I'll be available on Saturday. And I can practice between now and then too.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby recoil » 19 Nov 2014 17:04

I'm still in to play.

Qpo, the Clan Wars organizers use Mumble, so you may want to look at the following link to run two instances of Mumble: http://warbucket.org/forums/topic/9110- ... -settings/
recoil

Unread postby Qpo » 19 Nov 2014 17:28

Thanks for the link, it's really nice to have things set up ahead of time.
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Nov 2014 20:58

The comments on the PA forum after that post I linked are lolerific. Promethean are saying that they tried our strategy between them and it almost worked, and they might try using it against us on Saturday lol. Then other people are saying that we might drop our strategy to surprise everyone. It's so awesome that there's finally an RTS where everything hinges on actual strategies, and people are discussing them all the time.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Nov 2014 00:12

Guys, if you can handle business without me on Saturday, please do so. I can make it if you DESPERATELY need me, but if you don't I'd rather take care of something else instead.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 22 Nov 2014 16:19

So it's me, recoil, chevvy and jeff, and the game starts in about 3 hours. I'm both on their IRC and Mumble, and also on our Mumble with chev. We'll start playing a couple of games in a bit.
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Nov 2014 17:43

gl hf guys. Don't get too stressed and forget to hf.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Nov 2014 19:20

Watch the game here: http://www.twitch.tv/teamexodusesports

I can't watch it because I am on an old Mac OS version that can't use Flash, but I've got THM giving me updates on Steam chat. Feels like I am following it on radio.

So Promethean changed their system to a 2-planet design? Interesting.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Nov 2014 20:35

The Hanged Man: qpo is killing it in the interview
icycalm: example?
The Hanged Man: "at least our girlfriends are hotter"
icycalm: HAHAHAHAHA
icycalm: OMG
icycalm: lol
The Hanged Man: "we lost in military power but we won in honor and dignity"
icycalm: i can't stop laughing
icycalm: omg
The Hanged Man: yeah everybody laughed
icycalm: i gotta hear this
The Hanged Man: Grimsprice: THATS why they lose. They each have a blonde on one knee.
icycalm: you should tell them qpo is from sweden
The Hanged Man: lol
icycalm: thanks for doing this, much appreciate man
The Hanged Man: no probs

icycalm: i am laughing at your interviews
icycalm: THM gave me some soundbites
icycalm: can't wait to see them on youtube
Qpo: haha
Qpo: it was funny
Qpo: it's hard to be positive going into the interview
Qpo: since the game on this scale is so stressful
Qpo: like I was hurting mentally while playing
Qpo: even though I've been playing lots these last few days
icycalm: well, it sounded like you did better this time than we did last time
Qpo: so draiing
Qpo: *draining
icycalm: THM said the casters said this
Qpo: cool
Qpo: I really like this strategy though
Qpo: we should win with it if we just play better
Qpo: I feel like I sucked hard
Qpo: I really want to do that "mini-base" role, fits me perfectly
icycalm: it could also be recoil not giving you enough units
icycalm: THM said he was outproduced hard
Qpo: could've built more I think, we had like +500 metal at some point
icycalm: recoil is good, very good even, but he doesn't play very much
Qpo: but they were attacking from all angles, so I think it was hard to know in what direction to build
icycalm: you mean in what direction to go...
Qpo: yeah also that
Qpo: in which direction to attack, for me
Qpo: in which direction to build, for recoil
icycalm: recoil can build anywhere
Qpo: yeah I guess you're right
icycalm: if they are in your base, it doesn't matter which way you are building
icycalm: i think we are too good for the MP lobby and not good enough for the esports scene
Qpo: yeah
icycalm: which kind of validates my theory
Qpo: pretty much
Qpo: I played a 3v4 with infern and jeff the other night
Qpo: we were going to do a 3v5, but a RLM guy joined, so we made it 3v4
Qpo: game was even and amazing
Qpo: fought over the annihilazer for like 20 minutes
Qpo: really intense
Qpo: then we died
icycalm: the main reason we joined the tournament was because we couldn't get good competition in the MP lobby
icycalm: not enough coordinated teams, etc.
icycalm: but now there are enough coordinated teams
icycalm: and with our own server we can always play 5v8 if we want, etc.
icycalm: anyway, we'll do better next time
Qpo: for sure
icycalm: i am glad we have two more guys with tournament experience now
icycalm: rory has 100 hours in the game, so all he needs is a proper PC to join
icycalm: he must be doing better now, right?
Qpo: I think so
Qpo: I'm gonna hit the shower and see if the party I'm invited to next door is still going
icycalm: sure, later man
icycalm: gg
Qpo: thanks
Qpo: also, amazing work on the site
Qpo: (not that you need me to tell you)
icycalm: glad you are enjoying it!

Can't wait for the videos.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 04 Dec 2014 19:51

The next Clan Wars fixtures will be the 17th and 31st January, unfortunately due to holidays and other events there's no space in the calendar for anything sooner.

We're going to try running three clans in one fixture, that's six matches instead of two and an event which likely lasts three hours instead of one. We'll figure out the exact order once we have the clans, but you'll get breaks at least every two matches and we'll look to rotate a clan out every match to ensure no one is sitting on their hands too long (and ensure the next lobby is ready to roll faster).

Time will either be 1300 UTC or 1900 UTC depending on whether Team Burning are partaking. Let me know which date you want, it's the usual first-come-first-served.

Questions?

Regards,
Quitch
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Dec 2014 08:25

Always pick the later date. Gives us more time to improve.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 10 Dec 2014 01:46

I've done my best to accommodate your requests on a first-come-first-served basis. I'm afraid it wasn't possible to get everyone their preferred date.

17/01/2015 | 1300 | Team Burning vs. The Cult
17/01/2015 | 1300 | Team Burning vs. PA Gods
17/01/2015 | 1300 | PA Gods vs. The Cult
20/01/2015 | 1900 | The Realm vs. Voices of War
20/01/2015 | 1900 | Promethean vs. Voices of War
20/01/2015 | 1900 | The Realm vs. Promethean

We'll work out a precise game order closer to the date. All times are UTC.

Regards,

Quitch

We've been scheduled for January 17 at 1300 UTC. We'll have two matches to play against Team Burning and PA Gods. I'll be able to play. Anyone else in?
recoil

Unread postby ChevRage » 10 Dec 2014 02:23

I'm available then too. Let me know if and when you want me to sub in.
ChevRage

Unread postby Qpo » 10 Dec 2014 02:41

I should also be available.
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 18:21

I'll probably be in France for the winter by then, but I'll have my new laptop with me, so as long as I have access to an internet connection I'll be in. In short, it's too early for me to tell.

On another note, let's try and prepare long before match week rolls around this time. The Unit Cannon will be a huge change to the game, and should be in the regular build soon, so let's get used to it. And we have two clans' home systems, besides our own, to train in this time...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 19:16

Also, here's where I now stand on the issue of beginners.

In the early days I loved gathering a group of beginners and learning the game with them, because I myself was also a beginner. And I've made a pretty great group this way -- we may be last in the tournament, but the tournament contains the 6 best teams ever, so we are last among the 6 best teams, but that still puts us on top of almost everyone else in the MP lobby.

I still love teaching beginners the game, as long as they keep playing and improving, and not dropping out on me after a couple of sessions. Unfortunately, this has happened way too many times for me to keep doing it anymore. Because it is soul-crushing to sacrifice entire evenings getting pummeled and laughed at by other teams in the MP lobby because I am trying to help a beginner out by getting him in our team, only to have him drop out a couple days later and never touch the game again. The first couple of times is okay, but by now this has happened so many times that I have lost entire WEEKS of my playing time due to it. So I am going to start doing things a different way.

First off, I WON'T tell people to play the game alone until they get decent at it, because even I couldn't do that. This game is NOT meant to be played 1v1, and if you play it this way you will most likely dislike it, and with good reason. You MIGHT like it, and it CAN be enjoyed this way, but the odds are against this happening, and you would need a lot of imagination to imagine how it plays in a team context (imagination which the vast majority of people lack, and therefore also probably you) and persevere with the punishment you will receive playing 1v1 in the MP lobby in order to eventually play in our team, so I advise against this.

However, there are so many beginners who have the game in our group now, that it should be easy to get in touch with some of them and start playing with them and learn the game together. Here are the ones I can see so far:

Slightly more experienced players:
The Hanged Man
ksevcov
danjiro
Beakman

Complete beginners:
tackywoolhat/The Double Doors of Perception
mothman spirit
earthboundtrev
agentx/Robby
void/cephissus
Breadcultist
James W.

(There's also Turnus who has 55 hours in the game but he doesn't seem to want to play with anyone.)

And these are on top of half a dozen other people who have the game but haven't even booted it up yet, or who have it on their wishlist.

So, don't expect me to take you by the hand like little children, and create your groups and set up your sessions for you. Talk to Qpo to get on Mumble. Post in this thread to get the other beginners' attention. Send them friend invites and message them on Steam. Put in the hours so that you have at least 30 or 40 hours in the game before you can join all the good players and try REAL strategies, which is what this game is all about. You will get trounced again and again in the MP lobby, as long as you are playing with a team of beginners, but if you persevere to the 40-hour mark you'll join me and the other guys, and then the tables will turn and YOU will be the one dealing out the trouncings, most of the time.

If, on the other hand, you can't be bothered to get off your asses and contact the other beginners, and play those 40 hours with them, the only thing you would have done if you had played with us would have been to waste our time, so it'll all work better for everyone involved this way, with less aggravation all around.

So, first find out if this is the sort of game you'd like to play for longer than 40 hours, and if the answer is yes we'd love to have you play with us asap.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 19:43

By the way, the other experienced players are free to play with whoever they like. All I am saying is that I will only play with Qpo, recoil, chevvy, jeffrobot494 and Some guy, and with whoever racks up at least 40 hours in the game and posts in this thread that he wants to play with us. I will not bother people anymore by messaging them on Steam, because their response has been generally lukewarm and unsatisfactory. I want enthusiastic players who are excited to be playing this masterpiece, not dullards who have to be dragged by their ears to try it.

It's nothing to do with winning or losing. It took us WEEKS to get our first win in as a team in the MP lobby, and you can ask the other players whether I gave a fuck or whether I got discouraged. But if you don't even know what the units and buildings do, and have no idea about the advanced commands that minimize the micro, you won't be able to function on the macro level that this game excels at, and it won't be fun for us to play with you.

I am not asking for top players -- all I am asking for is for players who know the units, the buildings, and the commands. And it seems that it takes a good 30 to 40 hours to learn these things to a sufficient level. The rest we'll teach you when you play with us.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 11 Dec 2014 20:07

I've added everyone that isn't already on my friend list from the complete beginners and slightly more experienced players lists icy posted. PA is the first RTS game I've ever played, so the time I put into it so far I've just been trying to figure out the absolute basics (which units do what, which buttons do what, etc). So, if that doesn't deter you from playing with me then I'm up to play.

Winter Break starts for me next week, which means gives me a more flexible schedule for the next month before I go back.
earthboundtrev

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2014 21:14

And another thing. Don't use the CULT tag until you have those 40 hours in the game, and are regularly playing with at least one of the experienced players in your team. It will only cause you trouble, in the form of people expecting you to beat them, or jeering at you if you lose badly, etc. as I have explained at length here: http://culture.vg/features/commentary/w ... ation.html

Learn the game slowly, incognito, and you can use the tag (which believe it or not is a big part of the fun of playing) if you end up liking the game enough to keep playing it indefinitely with us.

Also note that many of the beginners I listed DO NOT LIKE THE GAME. I just listed all of them because I am not 100% sure who those are, so as not to marginalize any of them unfairly. But you will definitely have a hard time finding enthusiastic players among them. It will not be at all as great as it was when I was starting out, when I made sure that every single player in my team was 100% into the genre and the game.

So, whoever wants to learn with the beginners will have to persevere. You'll have to keep messaging everyone and trying everyone out until you figure out which of them like the game and are well-adjusted enough to communicate with you, etc. Don't expect an awesome beginner team like we had back in August to materialize out of nowhere if you don't work for it. That worked for us because I had already been playing games with several of those people for months if not years beforehand, and knew them reasonably well by that time. But now all of you are strangers, so it'll take some time to figure everyone out.

The good news is that you only really need one other committed player to start learning. 2v2 is a great way to get into the game, with one player focusing on production and the other on the war. If you can find a third one, so much the better, but you can play those 40 hours and get closer to our level with just two.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 12 Dec 2014 01:34

trev, I like doing 2v2s with beginners, and haven't been burned out on it yet. I'll look out for you online.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby earthboundtrev » 12 Dec 2014 03:04

Thanks jeff, I appreciate that.

How free are your weekdays? Want to play on Monday at 8PM EST?
earthboundtrev

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 12 Dec 2014 03:43

Sure. Monday at 8PM EST.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Dec 2014 19:19

2v2 tournament coming in January:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/hey- ... st-1043878

Something to think about. I definitely want in. We could split into 2 or 3 teams as long as everyone's interested. But if so, we also need to start playing 1v1s, because you can't win 2v2s at that level with specialization, you gotta be able to spawn apart and handle everything.
icycalm
Hyperborean

PreviousNext

Return to Online