Planetary Annihilation

[PC] [MAC] Planetary Annihilation

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] Planetary Annihilation

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jul 2014 20:28

I talk about how awesome the game looks here: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=23185#p23185

and I will be posting a ton of updates in that thread today and in the coming weeks and months to try and get as many people to join me in this as possible. Ultimately, I want to make a clan and get it listed here: http://pamatches.com/clans/

For now, let's see who's down to purchase the game. I've ordered my retail Early Access Edition from Amazon UK for £25.54 (seller zoverstocks): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planetary-Annih ... nihilation

81u3stYOoCL._SL1500_.jpg

If you live in the colonies, it won't be officially released there, but you can buy the import version here: http://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Annihil ... nihilation

There's also a Nazi version, so I am guessing there are other regional versions as well: http://www.amazon.de/Planetary-Annihila ... nihilation

The Standard and Collectors Editions are listed on Amazon US and UK for release on September 23, but I think this is merely a tentative date, since the game has no official release date yet (though the devs now seem pretty confident on a 2014 release...)

Beyond the retail versions you can also buy the digital version either on Steam for $49.99 (45,99€ in Europe) or straight off Uber for $49:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233250/
https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4

Uber prefers that you get it straight from them so that they can keep Steam's cut, and that's what I recommend too. On the other hand, it's nice to have the game in your Steam library, so it's your call. Personally, I will eventually be buying at least three physical versions (Early Access UK, Standard US and Collectors US), so I am going to hold off on the digital version until it comes in a Humble Bundle for one dollar or something, merely to have the game's banner in my Steam collection, so they'll get more than enough money from me overall.

An even better deal than any of the above, if you are cash-strapped, is the Amazon digital version for $29.99 which includes a $5 credit for future Amazon digital game purchases: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQYCJ8Q?pf_ ... EBCSNNJC60

This deal is available only to those with have a U.S. billing address, but maybe you can send gift cards to yourself with your European card and then buy it with credit. That's how I buy a lot of things on Amazon US.

So that's all I got for now.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 24 Jul 2014 04:47

I picked up the game during the Kickstarter campaign and have it activated on Steam. I haven't played the game much, just opened some small maps a long time ago to see how it would control with spherical maps. I wanted to keep it unspoiled as I am very excited about the release of this game.
infernovia

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2014 05:05

What's your history with TA and SupCom?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 24 Jul 2014 05:28

Not much, unfortunately. I bought them mostly because I realized I missed a lot of great RTS games and wanted to see what they were about. I fought a bunch of skirmishes with the AI in SupCom, but I haven't gone through the campaigns or played any multiplayer matches.
infernovia

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2014 05:51

Well, do you feel like doing their campaigns? Or do you prefer to wait for me to finish them and drop straight into multiplayer? With SupCom we can play the campaign in co-op as I mentioned in the other thread [ > ] (and recoil seems to be down for that too, so we'd only need one more person for a full team), but with TA you'd have to play it on your own roughly alongside me.

The idea is to get through all these games within the next 2-3 months or so, and when PA 1.0 drops we put them all aside and start a PA clan, and play that game forever. It's the only RTS in which I would consider playing for the ladder, because it is the last RTS, as far as I can see (and if Jon Mavor's model of "endless development" succeeds as he envisions it).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 24 Jul 2014 05:58

Yeah, I am interested in the four player co-op campaign for Supreme Commander. I will post there as well.
infernovia

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2014 06:02

That's great, but tell me what you plan to do about TA too. Since I plan to be finishing its campaign within the next couple of weeks tops, I need to know if I can count on having some teammates when it's time for me to go online with it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 24 Jul 2014 06:12

I will try to finish the TA campaign as well, but I don't know if I will have the time to finish it by the next few weeks. I will keep you updated.
infernovia

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2014 06:20

I am not in a rush. I have a stack of other games I could be playing while I wait for you. I just want to do this the right way. Post about your progress in the TA thread in the Games forum. I'll be commenting on the game there too.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Aug 2014 20:37

Finally worked out my Steam issues and bought this. Installing now and playing straight after. I know I said we'd go through all the TAs and SupComs first, but fuck that, I want to play this now. We'll still play all the rest, but we'll take our sweet time doing so.

So, is anyone going to follow me into battle tonight? The more the merrier, as long as you have a mic. The game accommodates 5v5 easily, from what I've heard. I am emailing Qpo and infernovia right now, anyone else interested post here asap because I am only going to wait an hour or two max for people to assemble, but I prefer to start as soon as possible.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 08 Aug 2014 20:43

I can't do it today, sorry.
infernovia

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Aug 2014 21:13

Looks like it's me, Qpo and Masahiro, who's running to the store to get a mic right now. There's still time for more people to join, so don't be shy about it. Bonus chat logs between me and the guys:

icycalm: Solved my Steam problems and downloading PA now. Wanna play?
Qpo: if I can find it for a decent price I'll get it
Qpo: want to play
icycalm: Look, the 40 it's going for now is a bargain considering the quality of the game
icycalm: But yeah, compared to the previous sales, and the ones that are sure to come, it's not decent
Qpo: I'm going to get it now anyway
icycalm: By the way, I am going to send you the money for the Mumble server soon
icycalm: and you are going to transfer it over to me
Qpo: I can sense in my gut I'm gonna end up getting it, so I might as well get it right away instead of staying ont he fence for 15 minutes for no reason
Qpo: yeah
Qpo: I checked, there's a real good funciton for it
Qpo: transfering it over
icycalm: okay
icycalm: install PA I CANT WAIT!!!!!1
Qpo: haha
Qpo: buying now
Qpo: will be fast to install
icycalm: Let's see if we can find another person too
Qpo: kk
Qpo: 10%, I'll be done soon, brb (a quick afk)
Qpo: it's done

icycalm: Isn't there a store near your house where you can get a cheap mic?
Masahiro9891: I already ordered a mic from amazon
icycalm: Do you live in a small town?
Masahiro9891: No
icycalm: Go buy a cheap mic from EB and return it when the other arrives
icycalm: Me and Qpo are installing Planetary Annihilation now
icycalm: Is there any way you can get a mic soon? I'll send you the money for it.
Masahiro9891: Lol I'll get in the car and grab a shit cheap mic
icycalm: Not too shit
icycalm: I did this for PS3 and couldnt hear shit
icycalm: 20 bucks should do it
icycalm: ill send it to you
icycalm: but make sure you can buy PA too
Masahiro9891: Dude you are the best but you don't have to go to the trouble
Masahiro9891: I have the money
Masahiro9891: I was just hoping not to double buy an item
icycalm: I know... I just bought a second PA copy lol
icycalm: 40 euros down the drain
Masahiro9891: lol
icycalm: but some things are worth it dude
Masahiro9891: It's going to a good cause
Masahiro9891: If the developers end up doing what you suggested it will be a great cause
Masahiro9891: Alright i'll be back in a bit
icycalm: cool
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 08 Aug 2014 21:17

I'll join in too.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Aug 2014 08:24

Game is insane. In the top 5 games I've ever played. We played a bunch of 2v2 and 4v4 games until infernovia joined us and then we played some 5v5 games too. 8 hours non-stop. But we got our asses handed to us every single game. So the ideal would be playing 2v2 or 3v3 between us until we learn. The more people join, the easier it will be to arrange this.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Aug 2014 04:53

http://exodusesports.com/tournament/clanwars/
https://forums.uberent.com/threads/clan ... gue.63162/

Exodus esports wrote:CLAN WARS

Klan-Klash-1.png

exodus esports is proud to announce Clan Wars, a 4v4 clan league starting in September. Fight both in your home system and in your opponents’. Test your teamwork and your ability to consistently perform over the course of a season. Sign-up in numbers and bring the best people to counter your opponents plans. Scout their systems and make your play.

Who will emerge as top dog among the clans? PA Gods? The Realm? Team Burning? Promethean? Nova? Ballistic Logistics?

Sign ups for this are now open, so rally your troops and make sure you’re ready.

Format:

Clan members will sign up here, providing their clan name during sign up. All clan members are added to their clan’s roster. Any member of a clan who is on the roster for that season can partake in a clan battle.

Every clan will have a home system, this is of your clan’s own design. The only design limit is that planned planet collisions must be made public.

A season consists of each clan fighting every other clan twice, once on your home system and once on theirs.

Victories are worth three points, draws one and a loss none. The clan with the most points at the end of a season is the winner.

See the rules page for further details.

Changing your name
1.Login to your eXodus account
2.Mouse over your name in the top right and choose Edit My Profile
3.Select Player Profile from the list on the left
4.Change your name
5.Click the update button

I am gonna sign us up for this. Even if we come last, we'll at least get the chance to play a number of games against organized teams, instead of the random assortment of people we've been facing until now. It should give us a reality check on our skill level, and should be a lot of fun.

From what I understand, the idea is that you sign up the entire clan, and then you pick four players from it for any given match. The more players you have, then, the greater the chances that four of them can make the date and time of a specific match. Right now the clan is as follows:

icycalm
Qpo
recoil
Masahiro9891
infernovia
Some guy

Six is a good number, but we could use more, and this is the place to sign up.

We'll also need to design our home system at some point, and play a number of games on it to familiarize ourselves with it. I guess we'll go with a single-planet system, or at most single planet with a moon, to make sure our games go smoothly on it. After all, half of our games will take place on it.

In the meantime, play as many games as you can, and try to upgrade your computer + internet connection as much as you can (all-wired connections would be a good start). Also, play with Some guy and show him the ropes to get him up to our level. We played two games with him earlier today (won one, lost one), and he's learning quickly, so it should be easy.

Really excited about this. All the matches will be casted, so it will be fun to watch them afterwards and learn from our mistakes.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Aug 2014 08:33

Team is up: http://exodusesports.com/tournament/clanwars/players/

I've registered everyone, but they take some time to update the roster, so don't try to re-register yourself. The only thing that needs to be done is for infernovia and Some guy to install the PA Mod Manager and PA Stats:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel- ... 0-3.50726/
http://pastats.com/

From what I understand, the Win % on that page refers to tournament games only, and that's why it's zero for us. It's really cool how you can click on someone's name and watch casted videos of most if not all of his matches. I watched this one, to get an idea of how they do the casting, etc. (and also to see the game running on Uber detail, which is wonderful):

http://exodusesports.com/match/19306167/

It's only a 2v2 on a tiny system, but it's a good game and they've done a great job with the casting. I can't wait to see how they'll handle the 4v4 games, and I am glad they are scaling their tournaments up. In the PA forum thread they are saying that they didn't go 5v5 because then they wouldn't have been able to fit the casters in the two spectator slots, but as soon as Uber increases the number of players allowed they will.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Aug 2014 21:36

Our full team is now up. And some email correspondence with the organizers:

Paul Cocker wrote:Hi icycalm.

Really laying the smack down on Realm in the Clan Wars thread :)

Are you guys available to play on the 13th September, 1800 UTC? It would be the opening match of the tournament.

Regards,

Paul aka Quitch

I wrote:We probably will be, but gimme a day or so to ask the others and get back to you. Big thanks for organizing this for us, by the way. It should be a blast.

I am down. Opening match of the tournament also sounds very exciting. It would make for a grand entrance into the scene if we could win :) People are asking in the forum who "The Cult" is. But don't think in terms of winning. Just think of it as the proper challenge we want that is so hard to get when playing with randoms.

As long as three more people are down, I'll tell him yes. But it'll be even better if more people can make it, on the one hand because it's good to have reserves, in case someone ends up not making it, and on the other hand because we can play more games after the match is over. I don't expect it to last more than 30 minutes to an hour anyway, so we could stick around for another hour or two and play even more games. So who's down? (You can also be provisionally down, and then change your status if something comes up for you in the meantime.)

And let me reiterate that we could use some more teammates. After the tournament starts you can still join our clan, but you won't be able to register with the organizers and participate in any tournament games. So think about joining us now -- especially given that the official launch of the game will take place in a few days (September 5, see here: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?f=1&p=23624#p23624).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 28 Aug 2014 22:23

I'm provisionally down -- I don't have any plans at the moment but who knows. I'm also still sorting out my issue with Mumble, hopefully I'll get that fixed soon.
Some guy

Unread postby Qpo » 28 Aug 2014 23:40

13th is a Saturday so nothing should come in the way, so I'm down.
Qpo

Unread postby Masahiro9891 » 29 Aug 2014 00:10

I'm in too.
Masahiro9891
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby recoil » 29 Aug 2014 03:39

Count me in.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2014 05:37

The Hanged Man will be our seventh clan member. Add him to your friend lists and play with him as much as you can when you see him online. Make sure he has a headset + mic, and Mumble/PAMM/PA Stats, etc.

On another note, I figured out that the easiest and cheapest hardware upgrade one could do that would really help us out would be memory. Right now, a number of people are playing with 4 gigs, and that fucks you up because the game ends up creating virtual memory on your hard drive, and that's why the hard drive works so much and the game takes so long to load. Also, we are probably getting a lot of crashes for the same reason. It would help us a lot if most people could upgrade to 6 or 8 gigs (depending on motherboard used) before the tournament date. Memory is pretty cheap, and I can lend the money anyway via PayPal to whoever needs it. Just post here and let me know.

So this is the hardware upgrade priority list, as I see it:

1. Wired internet connection
2. More than 4GB of RAM
3. Graphics card (always go for Nvidia on the devs' recommendation)
4. Processor
5. SSD
6. Red command center lights like Qpo's
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2014 06:32

If there's no way for you to add memory, you can try this:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/perf ... ost-986675

fajitas23 wrote:For those poor souls with only 4-8 GB of RAM, read this thread by SSX
https://forums.uberent.com/threads/how- ... nux.63043/
It has improved my performance dramatically and made the game playable for the first time in weeks on my 4 GB machine.

@Uber: You might consider reducing the number of CoherentUI instances to something like 5, as SXX suggested. It really makes a huge difference in terms of RAM usage and the UI is still responsive (well, more responsive then when using virtual HD memory anyway).

It's complicated though, and may mess with other games that are using the same "Coherent UI" middleware that PA uses, so it's best to not touch your game files at all and simply add some more memory if you can.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2014 15:18

I have really bad news.

I wrote:My team doesn't like 5 of the 6 allowed colors. We usually play with the red or the yellow, and when those are not available with the white. None of us will play if we are forced to use the pink or the purple, for example, and the rest of the allowed colors just look bad. Can you ensure at least that we'll always be able to choose the white?

Paul Cocker wrote:If you refuse to play in the colour available at the time then you will be removed from the tournament. You may wish to consider whether this is an event for you if the colour you'd be playing as is such a big concern.

I wrote:So you are giving no justification for limiting color choice, and not even trying to help us ensure that we'd get the one allowable color that is acceptable to us. I don't mind The Realm thing, ultimately, but if you obviously don't care about helping us out with such a trivial concern -- which as I explained isn't trivial at all for us -- I am sure we'll encounter plenty of other problems in the future. Good luck with your tournament, man.

He's just being inexplicably rude, and I don't want to have to deal with him every week for the entire month or two that the tournament would have lasted. I am gutted by this, but he is not giving me another choice. He sounds like a robot who can't deal with the simplest of problems and who'd rather lose one of the six available clans for his tournament than try to cooperate with them.

I am trying to get us a game against another clan on the same day and time anyway. I should be able to arrange something. And if they agree, we can play as many games as we want with them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Hanged Man » 30 Aug 2014 15:31

icycalm wrote:The Hanged Man will be our seventh clan member. Add him to your friend lists and play with him as much as you can when you see him online. Make sure he has a headset + mic, and Mumble/PAMM/PA Stats, etc.

Sorry dudes, I won't be able to play with you for about 10 more days until I upgrade my PC and fix my internet connection.
Hanged Man

Next

Return to Online