default header

[PC] [MAC] Icewind Dale

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] Icewind Dale

Unread postby Qpo » 31 Jul 2014 13:39

You can divide the six character slots however you want, but one each is of course ideal and it's really cool how the player that makes contact gets to handle the dialogue while the others watch. Combat is great when you can keep the pausing to a minimum. Loading and saving is a lot slower in multiplayer.

I have played this before, as have ksevcov, but infernovia is new. We've taken a few baby steps, but it'd be a shame to play this with anything less than a full party of six players. I don't think having played it before matters, but if it does maybe we can get more than one party going — so basically I want to play this too badly to politely opt out, lol.

I'm assuming ksevcov and infernovia are both in, and we can dive into stuff like difficulty setting, characters and party composition once we've got a full party. There's also Icewind Dale II and the Baldur's Gate games, but at any rate we'll be starting with Left 4 Dead this weekend so this'll come later.

We got the multiplayer working by using GameRanger: http://www.gameranger.com
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jul 2014 16:44

Yeah, I want to play all the Infinity engine games with full parties (I have already finished BG1 and its expansion on my own years ago, and played maybe 1 or 2 hours of ID, but haven't touched any of the others), but we can't have this and L4D running at the same time. There's just too few days in the week that are useful for all of us. We have to keep the games that require large teams to one at a time, which makes progress in them frustratingly slow, but I don't see how this can be changed. At least we have a ton of 2-player games available to fill in the time between 4- and 6-player ones.

The only way this situation can be improved is if we get 10 or 20 active members in the Online forum, so that there can be plenty of both American and European players available at any given time and for any given game. Then we could play weekday afternoons, and large games would move far quicker, maybe even at the rate of one game finished per week for shorter titles like action/FPS, etc.

What you and ksevcov can do to help make this happen is to post your chats in this forum, instead of via email or whatever other means you use to communicate. The only reason you two guys met is because I started posting in the Online forum. And the only way to entice more people to join us is to keep posting here so that they can see the traffic and consider joining us. And we will all gain from this, not just me. Think about it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 04 Aug 2014 15:05

We've been using Steam's chat service but I can see your point and will be happy to contribute in every way possible. I really want to play with every Insomniac at least once. When I offhandedly mentioned Seiken Densetsu 2 last week I never dreamed that infernovia and ksevcov would light up as they did — we couldn't play it due to ping, but still.

Even if we can only play one 4-player game at the moment, it's still a good idea to throw up threads for everything we want to play, right? Since we never know when or for what someone might want to join in.
Qpo

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 10 Sep 2014 01:34

I'd like to be a part of this team. I'm up for all the Infinity Engine games.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby Masahiro9891 » 10 Sep 2014 03:52

You can count me in too. I haven't played Planescape and BD because I want to play these with a full team, so going through all the Infinity Engine games sounds awesome.
Masahiro9891
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Sep 2014 04:01

Here's an idea.

How about you guys try finishing Divinity: Original Sin first? It's a 4-player game, so it will be easier to set up, and so would make for a better game to start with in order to get to know each other. I mean, do you really want to embark on a 100-hour game (like the BD games, for example) with people you don't know very well, who could desert you at any moment, forcing you to start over with a new team?

Qpo, Masa, stevenberg and I are six ours into Original Sin, and so far the game is 5/5 (and indeed, better than any Infinity Engine game I've played, more or less). So maybe jeff can get infernovia, ksevcov and someone else, and start playing the game in parallel with us. Leave the Infinity Engine games until we've got a few shorter or simpler games under our belt (like a couple of diablolikes, for example). And then we'll know who is serious and can go the distance, and we'll start tackling the monster games with them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 10 Sep 2014 14:02

I can join Jeff, infernovia and ksevcov.
Some guy

Return to Online