default header

[PC] Path of Exile

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Path of Exile

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Aug 2014 14:30

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/

Another choice that could serve in place of Torchlight II today. The advantages are that it's free and doesn't require one to have played any predecessor to fully appreciate it. The disadvantage is that I am not quite sure if there's a Hardcore mode or, if there is one, exactly how it works. Still a 6-player game.

Here's some co-op details: http://www.co-optimus.com/article/10568 ... p-faq.html

And here's some fuzzy explanations of various modes that the game may or may not have right now (which the developer confusingly calls "leagues" for some reason): http://www.pathofexile.com/leagues
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Qpo » 18 Aug 2014 00:37

I'm playing with icycalm and Masahiro RIGHT NOW, and it'd be great to have more players. There's three slots left for a full party of six. Looks like a good game.
Qpo

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Aug 2014 21:15

We now have four players and we are playing again in a couple of hours. Game is getting a little bit tougher too: Masahiro died in a boss and had to start from zero lol. But you can join a game in progress, and we'll protect you while you level. Really want to see six players on screen at once, even if for just five minutes, so post here or message me on Steam if you are interested.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 20 Aug 2014 08:54

I will give it a try. When is the next session?
ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Aug 2014 09:22

We don't have a schedule for this. We are five people with you now, and we'll play when we can get at least four online at the same time (but don't play without me or you'll all get banned!) The current group is me, Qpo, Masahiro, you, and this guy: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fabiusmayland (add him to your friend list).

When you see a lot of us online, start messaging us, or we'll message you, and we'll get a game going. This is a gaiden game, really. We are not going to be sacrificing PA or L4D time for it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Aug 2014 21:03

Okay, so we're playing this on Sunday, and trying to gather a full team for it. We'll start at 5PM UTC, hopefully with a full team, and people can start dropping out whenever they have to, and we'll keep playing as long as there are at least four people left. Right now, these are the confirmed players:

icycalm
Qpo
Masahiro9891

Surth is also highly likely to play. He has already said yes, but I'll email him now to confirm.

ksevcov has said he wants to play.

Some guy has said he wants to play.

So if everyone can make it, we'll have a full team, at least for a few hours.

Note that me, Qpo, Masahiro and Surth have reached Merveil's Caverns, which seems to be right before the end of Act 1. So the new guys (ksevcov and Some guy) can play the game on their own beforehand, and get to that area, completing all the quests on the way (which should take them about 6 to 7 hours). This is by no means required, but it will make your life easier when you play with us, and lessen the chances of you dying (though you might, of course, die beforehand on your own...) Just make sure to make a Hardcore character, otherwise you won't be able to join us, and if you happen to die (in which case the game will automatically move your character to the Standard mode), you'll need to delete your character and start all over with a new one. Note also that you don't need to reach Merveil's Caverns on your own, since we'll meet in the town anyway and take you there ourselves. But the more you manage to progress on your own, the better (as long as you don't go further than we've been). At the end of the day we have portal scrolls and can take you with us wherever we want.

If you don't play the game at all before Sunday, or if you only play it a little bit, it's not a problem, because you can always go back and do the earlier quests on your own next week, in-between sessions. And if some people can't make it for our next big session, then others could step in and fill their spots, and then the guys who were left out can play with other people, etc. None of this is a problem even from a narrative standpoint, because the game is set in a town full of adventurers who form small bands and explore the surrounding areas, so changing groups are written into the game and I am fine with it. As long as I can keep going with the core group of two or three people I started with, I am willing to join forces temporarily with whoever is available at the times that I can play.

This is a good game that I am determined to finish, and it will probably get a 4/5 review from me at some point, so I encourage everyone to try it out and meet up with us in the gameworld, even if for just a few quick fights.

P.S. Do NOT forget to tick "Hardcore" in the character creation screen or you won't be able to join us.

P.P.S. The two new guys can only choose between the Duelist and Templar classes because all other classes are taken. Figure out between you who is taking whom by posting in this thread. (And if more people want to play with us later they can choose from any class they want, but for this Sunday, we prefer to have a group of unique classes.)

P.P.P.S. Each character name in the game (CHARACTER name, not username -- we don't care about your username) has to be unique, so basically all the good names are taken. It took us over an hour when we started to find good names for our characters, and those we found by looking up lists of ancient Nordic names on Google. So we wouldn't want anyone to join our guild with a name like "randomuser69". Ideally, you'd have a Nordic name too to match the rest of us, and here's a link where you can find some: http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Main_Page

Just make sure to pick a male name (because the Duelist and Templar classes are male), and one without any funny dots or accents over it (because they probably will not be preserved by the game).

Any questions, post them here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 23 Aug 2014 01:12

Well I'll start playing now and I'll take the Templar class. ksevcov, if you want to switch classes that's fine by me as I could just pick the Duelist tomorrow and start a new game.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2014 01:58

Some guy: Hey, does it matter what challenge league I choose in Path of Exile? Or does it not matter as long as my character is hardcore?
icycalm: I don't think you can choose difficulty before you finish the game
Some guy: I'm getting the options of Standard, Rampage or Beyond. I can still tick Hardcore regardless of what league I choose.
icycalm: WHAT? Where are these options?
Some guy: They just popped up after I chose the templar and started character creation. It looks like these are monthly challenges or something - it says "these leagues run from August 20th to Novermber 20th. Complete five or eight difficult challenges to win exclusive effects"
icycalm: oh ok
Some guy: *November
icycalm: these are gimmicky modes
icycalm: they came online with the new patch
icycalm: we didn't get them
icycalm: choose standard
Some guy: Alrighty, thanks.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2014 02:09

Also, Some guy, make sure you have a working headset with mic, and that you have downloaded, installed and set up Mumble.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 23 Aug 2014 03:06

I'll go into town tomorrow and get a decent mic, the one that came with my laptop kinda sucks. I've already got Mumble.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2014 04:10

I am not too sure about this, but headset seems to be better than stand-alone mic. I think Qpo said that if you use your speakers we get terrible feedback, so everyone uses a headset. Don't skimp on this and ruin yours and our play session. It's happened on two occasions before.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 23 Aug 2014 11:26

I played this a bit now and I didn't like it, so I'm not playing this tomorrow.
ksevcov

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2014 16:32

If anyone else wants to take his spot let us know.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 23 Aug 2014 16:33

I got a headset and I can play for about two and a half hours tomorrow.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2014 16:46

For anyone else thinking of joining us on Sunday: it is a 6-player game that takes a while to get going. There's no way you can get an accurate feel of the game if you play it alone for 10 minutes like ksevcov (except if you are as experienced with games as I am and can extrapolate from little data with this experience). When you have a large party and have progressed to the point where you can die at any moment from a silly mistake, it's absolutely gripping. The aesthetics are fantastic and the soundtrack is incredible.

And if a second person wants to join after Some guy leaves, we can do that too.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 23 Aug 2014 16:55

I actually might be able to rejoin you guys about an hour later but if someone else joins after I leave that's fine.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2014 17:02

Dude, "might" doesn't help us at this point. We are talking tomorrow not next month, you should be able to give us a solid idea of what your timetable will be. If we put our faith in your "might" we'll probably end up with an empty player slot. If you were sure you were coming back we'd take a one-hour break for you.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Aug 2014 16:55

Well, I sent invitations to several forlorn members and am hoping for the best. In the meantime, if you guys seem me online playing the game, I will merely be in the town talking to all the people I haven't talked to.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 09 Sep 2014 00:29

I'm still interested in playing this. Does everyone else want to give it another shot?
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Sep 2014 00:39

Yeah, but since it's a 6-player game, I am putting it on the backburner for now until we are through with some of the other games we are playing, and until we get more people in here willing to play it. Qpo and infernovia and Masa and I, and perhaps even recoil, want to play it, so we DO have six players with you, but everyone is engaged with other games, and the only time we can all get together for this is the weekend, during which we are already playing L4D, Gears of War, and PA (and Qpo and I even Divinity: Original Sin). And in any case, we already made a run in it, so why not give it a few weeks, until that experience is not so fresh on our minds?

In the meantime, if you are hungry for this type of game, why not start D3 or something else which only goes up to four players, and is therefore easier to organize? There's already one person who wants to play D3 on PC and one on 360...

Still, if a bunch of new people want to volunteer for PoE right now, you can play with them if you want. But I doubt you'll get enough for a full team. Or perhaps you don't mind playing with fewer than six players?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 15 Sep 2014 00:00

I'm in for Path of Exile, whenever the team decides to continue.
recoil

Unread postby CTF » 16 Sep 2014 00:45

I would also love to join you guys when you decide to start a new run.
CTF

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 16 Sep 2014 00:49

I'd love to play too.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Sep 2014 06:12

Right now I count eight people interested in this. There are the remnants of the last party:

icycalm
Qpo
Masahiro9891
Some guy

And then there is infernovia, who has already expressed interest in this game via Steam chat.

And then the people who posted in this thread after:

recoil
CTF
jeffrobot494

If four more people volunteer, we can have two parties. Otherwise we could figure some sort of arrangement whereby the first party of six (chosen on a first-come first-served basis, going by their posts in this thread) sets off, while the two others play simultaneously, but on their own, and when people get killed from the fist party (as they definitely will), their characters are replaced by the already leveled-up characters from the second party (while the dead player(s) form a new alt. party), and so on, until the last survivor plunges his sword into the heart of the last monster and clears the game.

So, we still have several weeks at least until we launch a new run, so let's see if more people will volunteer to fill out the second party in the meantime.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Sep 2014 06:35

Or, if no one else volunteers, we could make two parties in Torchlight II or Diablo 3, both of which are 4-player games (or one party can attack one game while the other attacks the other, and when parties get killed they switch games, to keep our play experience fresh and not get frustrated). And when we have 12 people we can make two parties for PoE, and when people get killed from both parties we can start merging them into one, to get further into the game than we otherwise would.

In short, try to save up and buy Torchlight II and D3, if you haven't already. They all offer similar experiences anyway (though something tells me D3 is the best of them). There's no way we'll clear any of them on Hardcore in our first run, so we'll alternate between them until we do.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Online