default header

Fighting games

Moderator: JC Denton

Fighting games

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Mar 2017 19:37

I think there are enough of us interested in fighting games that if we all picked one game we could get a decent scene going on between us, and would probably be able to get a match going at most times of the day, any day of the week. So let's see if we can pick a game in this thread.

I think it is a no-brainer the format will be the PC. The only person I can think of who might have a problem with that is Exiled, but maybe we could pick a low-spec game that he could run? Xrd and SF5 are better left alone for now, even for me on my 860M, but I can run Under Night, BB, etc. fine. Can you run them well, Exiled? Otherwise we move to +R, AH3, etc., but I would need to set up scanlines for them. I think I can, though, so if the HD fighters won't work for some people, let's go for one of the 480p ones.

Post here if you want to join this scene, and let us know which PC fighters you can/want to play. Ultimately, I can play all of them -- even Xrd and SF5, if need be. But for perfect smoothness, I would prefer 2D over 2.5D. The spec tiers are basically:

High spec
2.5D, e.g. SF4, SF5, Xrd, etc.

Mid spec
2D HD, e.g. BB, Under Night, etc.

Low spec
2D 480p, e.g. +R, AH3, etc.

I won't play a KOF, however, or anything else that's upscaled by default. Not sure if the latest KOFs are upscaled, but 12 and 13 were, so I am not playing those. Let me know if the latest ones are better on this front (or maybe they've switched to 3D? I have completely lost the plot with this series).

I am sure there are other viable games/series I haven't mentioned, so list whichever ones you know to give us options.

Also, it would be nice if our choice of game allowed a bunch of people to spectate and switch in and out, otherwise I guess we could work out something with Twitch, so that people waiting to play have something to do.
Last edited by icycalm on 06 Mar 2017 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Mar 2017 19:42

Forgot Melty Blood. That's 480p too I think, but the sprites are upscaled. Always thought this game looked cool, but the upscaling is a barrier for me. Why play an upscaled game when you can play a native res one? If you've already played all the native ones, I understand it, otherwise there's no point.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Mar 2017 19:54

Actually, I think that Under Night is the high-res Melty Blood. None of us have it in their library, however, compared to AH3, which almost everyone has. It's not expensive though, and since no one has played it besides Exiled, it would be a good game with which to start off the scene I think, since we'd all be beginners in it.

Let me know what everyone thinks, whether Exiled can run it on his PC, and if people are willing to purchase it -- as well as any cheap deals on it you can find. At €27,99 on Steam currently it's pretty cheap already, I think.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ExiledOne » 06 Mar 2017 23:06

I took a look at the system requirements, I don't think I'd be able to run it. Only games I've been able to run with any degree of success on this thing were shoot'em ups. I tried to run Koihime Enbu and KOFXIII once but they both ran like shit. And the minimum system requirements for that game were lower than the requirements for Under Night In-Birth. But if you guys are interested in it, you should definitely play it.

I should be able to run AH3, +R, Vanguard Princess, etc., though.

Edit: Tested out a PC rip of the original AH3. It ran fine.

How were you going to set-up the scanlines for the 480p stuff?
ExiledOne

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Mar 2017 23:28

In that case I say let's go with AH3 since most people already have it, and I really like the series. Download it and try it out to make sure it runs well. If it doesn't, ask for a refund before you clock two hours and you'll get your money back, then we can try +R. Also, you have a stick that works on PC right?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Mar 2017 23:29

We'll have to experiment about the scanlines. I'll check out the game later tonight, and see what needs to be done, then ask recoil to do it :)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ExiledOne » 07 Mar 2017 01:31

Yeah, I have a stick that works on PC.

I'll buy the game and test it out soon.
ExiledOne

Unread postby recoil » 07 Mar 2017 03:18

I'm down for AH3, I'm sure ExiledOne is a little salty after our last matches lol.

Anyway, I put out a guide for a scanline filter: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?p=28029#p28029
recoil

Unread postby ExiledOne » 07 Mar 2017 06:13

Hahaha, you're good. I can admit that but I was slowly catching on. Very, very slowly lol.

I tried to run AH3 and Vanguard Princess (just to see if it'd work) but neither worked out well for me. On the plus side, +R runs wonderfully. I'm not sure how bad / good the netcode is though.

Thanks for the guide recoil.
ExiledOne

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Mar 2017 08:53

We are playing +R then. quash says it's the best 2D fighter ever, so why not. I was trying to avoid the deepest game, because then there'll be no catching up with the best players -- they'll just go deeper and deeper into the game to beat you, no matter how much you improve -- but I am gonna stop being a ninny and sit down to git gud.

Still weird that pirated AH3 works well for you, but not the Steam version. I guess it might have to do with having to run the Steam client at the same time. Can you post your system specs for me? I am curious to see what they are.

Glad to have found one game that works for everyone. And if it works for you, it should work for other people with low-spec machines.

I invite all people who are interested in fighting games to join us for this, no matter how much they suck. I suck too, and plenty of other people, so you'll have opponents at your level no matter how bad you are. Play with us and we'll all improve.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ExiledOne » 07 Mar 2017 14:58

Sure.

specs.png

specs2.png
ExiledOne

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Mar 2017 18:20

Well I am glad we found something that's also playable for you. Surprised you can run anything at all on that thing.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Mar 2017 02:52

So +R netcode sucks even withing a single country/region. We tested it between several people, and quash confirmed it. So we need another game. Exiled, test to see what your machine can run and let us know. Just keep in mind that stuff like Koihime Enbu and Vanguard Princess is not good enough to be our main FTG. Perhaps Melty Blood works well on your PC, and has good netcode, and can be made to look decent with scanlines? I can't think of another alternative, but if you can, tell us.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Mar 2017 03:16

The last resort would be to play Under Night, on both PC and PS3. I will eventually replace my PS3 anyway (my previous one blew up), and I'll be able to play both formats.

But let's try Melty Blood first.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby recoil » 08 Mar 2017 06:11

Here's a report on Melty Blood: http://steamcommunity.com/app/411370/di ... 404769675/

Red wrote:The Steam version was pretty dead when it arrived because it used a wonky netcode, which has since been upgraded but still remains a delay-based netcode, as opposed to the "community version" that uses a rollback-based netcode. So until they add rollback to the Steam version, I'd say the online multiplayer is pretty dead.

It's still no reason not to get both this version and the community edition to play the game legally :)
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Mar 2017 15:41

It sounds like our only viable low-spec option is Arcana Heart, which everyone already has, and which I am assuming works well online since you guys haven't complained about it. So we'll make that our official fighting game on all platforms.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Online