default header

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [ONE] Rocket League

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] [PS4] [ONE] Rocket League

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Jun 2017 20:54

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252950/Rocket_League/

This game has received crazy positive reviews from players on Steam, and even the negative ones are saying it's great but they hate some DLC nonsense or whatever. infernovia has 282 hours in it, Saf has 77, dinopoke 60, and dan has it in his library.

I've so far stayed out of it because I find the aesthetics bullshit (cars playing soccer lol), and was prepared to give it 1/5 merely for that. But now a four-pack popped up on Bundle Stars for peanuts, so I say it can't hurt to try it.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/collecti ... ket-league

So let's see if we can get four people to join in for this bundle. We need three more, and then someone in the US buys it, because it's cheaper, and we all send him our portions for it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Jun 2017 15:06

Ended up getting the Collector's Edition from G2A for €13.99. Installing now, and I look forward to trying it with someone who has it at some point. Let me know if you are interested.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby danjiro » 08 Jun 2017 20:49

I bought it a while back mostly because I have a few friends who play it and keep pestering me to try it. I haven't been able to get into it so far for the same reasons as you. Every time I go to start it I decide I'd rather play something else lol.
danjiro

Unread postby recoil » 09 Jun 2017 01:30

It's a fun game and the 4v4 is entertaining with a full team. Considering icy's Kick Off review, I'd say this is the closest thing to a modern version of it.

I'm feeling generous, so I'll pick up the tab if we get three more to join. The bundle discount ends in 6 days, so make up your mind before then.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jun 2017 04:22

There is an actual new Kick Off version on PSN for PS4, and it's coming to Steam. I would have got the PS4 one already, but I am waiting for the Steam one. I hope many people will pick it up and we can have tournaments. That game is sick. In the meantime, yeah, I am very curious about Rocket League and look forward to trying it with a full team.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby infernovia » 09 Jun 2017 14:08

The game also reminded me of icy's Kick Off review. If you can look past the aesthetics, it does have a couple of neat things:

• The camera lock-on from a third-person perspective is interesting. I don't think I have ever seen that before in a sports game, particularly when the ball moves fast/vertically, but I don't really know my sports games.
  • Thankfully, the game isn't really a driving game, it's half flying. Wall jumps, aerials, stunts etc. That's where the game adds a lot of fun. The developers wanted to borrow this aspect from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.
  • Between these two aspects, the game doesn't need you to keep switching players like I have seen in most team-based sports games.

It's a fun game, and I played it a lot with my casual friends. Keep in mind that the game was designed around 3v3 as the maps are simply not big enough/interesting enough for 4v4. But can't hurt to start at 4v4.

I have gotten tired of the game due to the insane amount of hours I already played, but I would boot it up again to play with the clan.
infernovia

Unread postby Saf » 09 Jun 2017 23:52

Pretty much what infern said, it's surprisingly fun and polished. 4v4 can be chaotic but it's still pretty fun. Played it a bunch when it came out but happy to load it up again with the clan.
Saf

Return to Online