default header

PC|MAC Total War: Warhammer III

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|MAC Total War: Warhammer III

Unread postby Robomoo » 12 Feb 2022 00:26

Finally the TW series is getting 8-player multiplayer campaigns with simultaneous turns. Anyone interested in trying this out once it releases?

Ideally, we'll wait until they release the Mortal Empires campaign (probably a few months after release), which gives us the biggest map plus every faction from all three games to choose from.

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1142 ... AMMER_III/
Robomoo

Unread postby ChevRage » 12 Feb 2022 02:14

I'm definitely interested. Though if we'll need to skip the tactical battles for whatever reason that would be super lame. I'd rather just play Civilization or Planetfall in that case. The strategy aspect of the game gets absolutely dabbed on by other series and isn't worth it if it's all you experience.

I am interested in how they'll handle it though. Maybe they'll figure something out that works well, so here's hoping lol.
ChevRage

Unread postby Robomoo » 12 Feb 2022 11:54

I should've posted this video.

Campaign Multiplayer | Total War: WARHAMMER III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGT5MKWofE

You can play out the tactical battles and give parts of your army to control to spectating players.
Robomoo

Unread postby leccosta » 12 Feb 2022 13:56

I am also interested in playing this one. I agree that the Mortal Empires campaign would be the best one to play since it should have all the factions. The standard TW3 map only has six factions I think.
leccosta

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Feb 2022 14:14

I have no idea how this would work but I am interested. I would also be cool with playing day 1, and then again when that campaign you’re talking about comes out.

Do they at last have ships in?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Robomoo » 12 Feb 2022 14:36

No, still no ships lol. But, the Realm of Chaos campaign map at least doesn't have very much water, so it won't be too noticeable.

Realm of Chaos campaign: https://totalwarwarhammer.fandom.com/wi ... m_of_Chaos

This will be available day 1, and it's 2x the size of the Eye of the Vortex map from the previous game. I was thinking about it, and actually the Mortal Empires map would probably be way too big for a multiplayer campaign anyway, because each player could easily spend 20-50 turns fighting AI before they even run into another player, which would take forever unless we auto-resolved everything.

Looking at it more closely, the Realm of Chaos campaign actually does have a lot of playable races from the previous games. The options are:

WH3: Kislev, Grand Cathay, Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Daemons of Chaos
WH3 preorder bonus: Ogre Kingdoms
WH2: Lizardmen, Skaven
WH1: Empire, Dwarfs, Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos, Greenskins, Norsca, Beastmen

So the only missing factions are: High Elves, Dark Elves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast and Bretonnia.

I'd be down to play this day 1.
Last edited by Robomoo on 12 Feb 2022 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Robomoo

Unread postby ChevRage » 12 Feb 2022 15:10

Wow just saw the video, yeah that sounds cool. And definitely up for day 1 for sure.

Regarding the Mortal Empires map being too big, I would've assumed that the ideal way to play that would be for all players to pick a different subfaction and play cooperatively against the rest of the world. There'd be a huge amount of AI factions to crush anyway. I vaguely remember doing something like this in Crusader Kings II with the clan and it was pretty fun until we started running into strange desync issues.
ChevRage

Unread postby Some guy » 12 Feb 2022 18:41

I'm up for this too, never played a Total War game before.
Some guy

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Feb 2022 22:22

First off, whoever hasn't seen the video Robo linked above, go watch it. It sounds incredible. If I understand it correctly, we're talking about an 8-player co-op campaign where every tactical battle is played with the help of all your friends. This reminds me of the failed Total War: Arena 10v10 game. It was great for what it was, problem was it wouldn't let you go in the lobby with more than 2-3 friends. The rest of your team had to be randoms. Kinda like the Battlefield bs. Well now you can have all your friends, and not just for a little battle, but for an entire campaign—if I am understanding it correctly.

Total War: Arena with recoil and The Cult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39z8a5QQj6A

So I went to G2A to buy WH3, but apparently my account has been suspended for some reason, and they are asking me for crypto-style verification (like copies of rental agreements, your pic holding your IDs, etc.), and I told them to piss off. There are good discounts on there though, so you might want to consider it if your account isn't randomly suspended like mine.

Then I went to Steam to buy the game, but I had an inspiration, and googled Game Pass before. And it's indeed coming to Game Pass day 1. Moreover, the first month seems to be $1. So that's what I'll go with.

Some links:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass#join
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/total- ... hammer-iii
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-pre-load-20220215/

Creative Assembly wrote:To ensure you’re ready to play on day one, we’re excited to announce that anyone who has pre-purchased the game will be able to pre-download it starting February 15th on the Microsoft Store, PC Game Pass, and Steam.

Install size is 120 GB. That has to be the biggest strategy game install, no?

I am thinking we could play on Saturday after the PA war, so about 4-5 PM UTC. We could also play later instead, like 10-11 PM UTC. Let's discuss the exact time on Discord, in the #online channel. That said, before you post there, make sure you've signed up by posting in this thread. We have five people signed up already, so we could use another three. If we encounter too many scheduling issues, we could break up into two teams.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Robomoo » 13 Feb 2022 14:09

Note that if you want to play as a race from a previous game, you need to own that game on the same store as WH3.

Side note: In these games you have "factions" and "races". A race is e.g. Empire or Dwarfs, and within these there are multiple independent factions which may potentially be at war with each other, but which use the same unit roster and mechanics, such as Reikland and The Golden Order (Empire) or Clan Angrund and Karaz-a-Karak (Dwarfs). I messed up above and used the terms interchangeably. "Race" is not to be confused with species: High Elves, Dark Elves and Wood Elves are all the same species, but separate races. Here's a map showing all the playable factions in WH2 Mortal Empires (there are many more non-playable factions):

I think I also made a mistake: in the Realm of Chaos campaign [ > ], it looks like you can actually only play as the WH3 races, and the other races are just on the map as AI-controlled fodder. This means we have 8 playable races and 12 factions to choose from: 5 chaos races plus Russia, China and Mongolia. There are enough non-chaos factions for us to play 7-player co-op with everyone allied against chaos, or we could play a 4v4 (4 chaos gods vs. 4 other factions), or we could just pick whatever faction we want to play and do a FFA. Or some other combination depending on how many players we get.

I also could be wrong about the old game races not being playable day 1, it's hard to tell for sure. I guess we'll find out once it releases. But they definitely will all be playable eventually.
Robomoo

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Feb 2022 14:34

A player can always play on Game Pass day 1, and if he likes the game a lot and finds he’s hindered from using some races/factions that he wants, he can go ahead and just buy all three games on Steam. I think you can get all three on G2A for a huge discount. The newest one can already be found at $10-15 off. I think it’s even $20 off if you have their G2A Plus subscriber thingy: https://www.g2a.com/plus
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PC|MAC Total War: Warhammer III

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Feb 2022 18:20

https://twitter.com/donkoala4/status/14 ... 5577165825

ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER UP to 8 PPL THAT BUILT UPON SHOGUN 2's CAMPAIGN MULTIPLAYER? 8 PPL CONTROLLING PARTS OF A SINGLE ARMY OR MAKING UR LIFE HARDER BY PLAYING THE ENEMY ARMY?

im fucking sold ngl

Seems like this is the selling point of the game. I can’t wait for this weekend.

Between this, the PA events and our upcoming Civ4 and Humankind mega-games, CULT remains the premier strategy clan in the world.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ysignal » 14 Feb 2022 12:22

I'm up for this as well.
ysignal

Unread postby Some guy » 14 Feb 2022 12:41

Completely forgot about plans I have for this weekend, I won't be able to play. Sorry guys, my bad.
Some guy

Unread postby Robomoo » 17 Feb 2022 21:41

So I can confirm that the eight WH3 races are the only ones playable in multiplayer currently.

I'd recommend playing through the prologue campaign before we play at the weekend if you're new to the series (and if you're not, the story is pretty cool anyway). It teaches all the basic mechanics pretty well, including some important stuff that isn't immediately obvious. Unfortunately it bugged out for me about halfway through and I couldn't progress, but if you only play that far you'll have learnt plenty to prepare for multiplayer.
Robomoo

Return to Online