default header

PC|MAC RimWorld

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|MAC RimWorld

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Mar 2023 10:31

Official site: https://rimworldgame.com

Insomnia review (5/5): https://culture.vg/reviews/in-depth/rim ... 13-pc.html

10/10 "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating on Steam, which is the same as Factorio's, and with about the same number of reviews (130,000).

It's time to try this, especially after learning that it has modded co-op for large groups. We can take a break from our Factorio Space Exploration run and try a run of this, then switch back and forth if we like it enough.

I am looking at starting this Saturday at 10 PM. However, there's quite a bit of stuff to figure out before we play, above all how to use the co-op mod and how to set all the settings and such, and I won't have time to do this before Saturday. If someone can volunteer to figure all this out, and that someone is also available for 10 PM, AND I get at least a couple of players, then we're playing this Saturday. Otherwise we're starting next week.

Either way, post in this thread if you're interested in playing, and also whether you are free for Saturday 10 PM. I suspect that you'll be able to jump in and out as in Factorio, so you shouldn't need to be present for all sessions, but I can't confirm if it works this way until we've figured out the mod.

Also, for those of you who are videogame scholars, like me, you might want to try Dwarf Fortress first, if you haven't done so already, as this is its main successor, as I understand it. DF is now available on Steam with graphics, so there has never been a better time to try it. I will be posting my review of it soon.

Whoever figures out how the mod and settings work should tell us if we can enable all the expansions simultaneously, in which case we should buy them, there are quite a few: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2 ... expansions

And it sounds like they unlock a ton of awesome mechanics:

The co-op mod is here, and apparently it's compatible with all the expansions: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2606448745

There's no limit to the number of players, but the creators recommend 8 max. This shouldn't pose serious problems for us. Our Factorio game has 10 players, but we've only had 9 simultaneously a couple of times; the rest of the time we've had 5-8. So even if we get similar or greater numbers for RimWorld, it'll be rare to get more than 8 in a session, and in that case we'll have two options:

1. Just play with more than 8.

2. Get everyone to roll 1d100 and exclude whoever rolls the lowest. Then in the next session we get more than 8, repeat the roll but the guy(s) who didn't play last time don't roll now and are automatically in.

I doubt we'll get as many players for RimWorld as for Factorio anyway, since it's a new game for us, it's not cheap, and none of us have it. But even if we do, it won't be a problem, so even if you see lots of people signing up, don't worry about it and join us if you're interested: the more the merrier, as always. "Worst" case scenario we can always just form two separate teams.

So let me know who's in! And above all, let me know if you can help with the setup so we can play this Saturday. If we don't play this Saturday, I'll try to get a Ready or Not game going, and if that doesn't work out either, it's Factorio again.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PC|MAC RimWorld

Unread postby ChevRage » 01 Mar 2023 14:32

I'm available for 10 PM Saturday and I just got the game with all the expansions.

I can try the game out tomorrow and see what all the settings do. The way the expansions are described it looks like they aren't just separate game modes so we might be able to have them all active at once. Though everybody will need to own the same expansions the host has active to join him.
Last edited by ChevRage on 01 Mar 2023 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
ChevRage

Unread postby recoil » 01 Mar 2023 14:40

I can play on Saturday.
recoil

Unread postby Some guy » 01 Mar 2023 14:51

I can play on Saturday.
Some guy

Unread postby Q-veta » 01 Mar 2023 15:59

I can play on Saturday as well. I have all the expansions.
Q-veta

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Mar 2023 16:52

Awesome, we’re playing on Saturday at 10 PM UTC with 5 players as long as Chev manages to set up the game for us in time. Keep us posted, Chev.

If more people want to play, let us know, and also let us know if you want to play but can’t make it this Saturday. If you aren’t sure if you want to spend the money, wait until we’ve played out first session and I’ve written some impressions. It’s not 100% we’ll like the game enough to play it long-term.

We’ll be playing at hardest settings so I expect to lose some runs before we get the hang of it and start playing longer runs.

The game will be called “Planetary Colonization” for the purposes of the Cosmic War site.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 02 Mar 2023 16:21

Getting the multiplayer working was quite easy.

First, you will all have to subscribe with your Steam account to both the Multiplayer mod and the Harmony mod which the former is dependant on:

Multiplayer
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2606448745

Harmony
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/fil ... 2009463077

Then you can launch the game and click on the mods option on the main menu. This will bring up a list of both mods and expansions.

Click on each mod in the disabled column, and click the enable button on the right to move it to the right column. After both mods are active make sure to auto-sort them with the button at the top. None of the mods should show up red (although there will be red text in the Multiplayer mod description). Then save and apply changes.

If you want to host, you will then have to start a new colony through the main menu and then, once the initial set-up is complete, convert it to a multiplayer game via the Host Game button in the menu. This will bring up a pop up box with details like the game name and passwords and such.

The Steam option should be ticked and Direct and LAN should be unticked. This will allow your Steam friends to see your game from the multiplayer menu the mod gives them. You will know the game is no longer in the single-player mode if you can see the chat button on the top right corner.

If somebody wants to join your game, you will need to provide them access after they attempt to join. You can see who is joining through the chat box, and you click their names to give them access to your game. After you've done this they'll have to put in the password you have set, if any. And then you should be good to go.

I couldn't find a way to switch this individual approval thing off for the host though.

I'll make a post about the new game settings tomorrow.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Mar 2023 16:54

Sounds great! I plan to host, since the setup seems so easy. I’d like to pick all the settings carefully, assuming there are many of them as in Factorio.

This game has the potential to be better than Factorio. I hate the graphics though, so hoping I can get used to them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Archonus » 03 Mar 2023 02:19

I'm definitely interested in playing but can't make it this Saturday.
Archonus

Return to Online