default header

Cult Meetup Tenerife 2021-22

Moderator: JC Denton

Cult Meetup Tenerife 2021-22

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Aug 2021 12:28

Beakman is in Athens right now lol. He is there with a Mexican friend who lives in Poland and then they are going back to Poland (where his friend lives), and then to Ukraine for a bit. I have long offered to host him in Tenerife, so he’s thinking of coming over. Moreover, we are both thinking of going to East Europe for an extended period for girls. Frankly we’ve no idea what we are doing, but we’re doing something, so I thought to make a thread in case anyone else is interested. As far as Tenerife goes I have a three-bedroom apartment available for free probably until November, and everyone is welcome. We have fiber internet, surfing nearby, and one of the easiest places in the world to learn daygame, if that’s your thing.

Let me try and post my complete convo with Beak so everyone knows what’s up.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Aug 2021 21:56

Beak is getting here from Poland on Sunday and I just realized: we can play the new Makaimura in co-op with zero lag! That’s assuming he likes the game, but he likes Metal Slug and that’s the exact same genre so the odds are good.

Can’t wait.

Unfortunately, the Shadow’s lag is too great for this game, so I am hoping he has a decent laptop to play on. However, it’d still need enough juice to stream otherwise it’s a deal-breaker.

Worst case scenario I buy a new laptop from the mall and return it 30 days later with the refund guarantee. It’s a pain in the ass but I can keep doing this forever pretty much. An added bonus is that I can then finally play and stream STGs again.

Either way, as long as Beak is into the game, we’ll know about the co-op mode soon.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Aug 2021 22:02

Another, cleaner option would be to buy two Switches. I wanted one anyway, and it’s cheap enough that I can afford it right now even though my finances aren’t in the best of shapes. That would still leave the issue of streaming open, but I think I could get that cheap Chinese streaming card Beak recommended recently and then we stream off his laptop.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Aug 2021 22:10

Third option. Wait for the Steam Deck in December, assuming Valve doesn’t delay it and Beak hangs around that long. We have both already placed preorders for it, and it should be slightly superior for Makaimura due to the slightly larger screen. And you can install OBS and stream right off it. I am not sure if you can link with other Decks for Makaimura’s co-op though. Or on the Switch for that matter. Maybe they both require couch co-op on a single machine. In which case I can hook up either to my TV, which unfortunately is pretty huge, but we can set it up to sit far back enough, which is the same as having a smaller screen.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2021 17:39

Beak’s setup in my living room. He’s going to buy a monitor or TV tomorrow.

My temporary setup in the kitchen.

We could play D&D in person now if we bought some dice and miniatures lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Beakman » 30 Aug 2021 18:38

I completely missed this thread until now that I'm right next to icy, lol. And sure, let's try Makaimura. My laptop should run it no problem, it can run Warzone at low settings with good FPS. I'll get an Xbox pad tomorrow as well.
Beakman

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2021 19:19

Beak bought a pad and we both bought the game (I got it a little cheaper on G2A), and we're playing TONIGHT!!! Crazy co-op Makaimura action coming to you on Twitch asap from arcade hotspot Tenerife!!!

Apparently his laptop can run the game and stream fine, though we'll be playing on my Steam account because I want the hours. We'll test my 42" TV first to see how the game looks, but most probably we'll be playing on his laptop screen, and possibly with our chairs pulled back a little to simulate the Switch's screen size.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2021 23:23

https://www.patreon.com/posts/55543164

icycalm wrote:Image

Cult Meetup Tenerife 2021

So Beakman got here on Sunday, as I mentioned in the forum, but I thought it was worth making an announcement here as well. He's staying in Tenerife until at least the end of September, and perhaps longer depending on his work situation (he works remotely for NASA). He's interested in moving to Europe, so he's checking out a few places. He's been to Poland, Greece and Ukraine so far, and I am showing him around Tenerife because, for my money, it's one of the nicest places in the world to live. It's certainly one of the cheapest. You get first-world living standards with near-third-world prices, and tourist season year-round. For me, it's paradise.

So Beak and I have a room each, and there is one free room in the apartment, plus the living room that can be used by another person; maybe even more if there's demand and people don't mind pairing up. And we have two bathrooms, so no worries on that front as well. It's a comfortable, spacious place (no furniture though, so you'd have to buy a cheap mattress and desk, if you plan to stay long; about €100 in total). So if anyone is interested in joining us, let us know. No one's paying rent because of Spanish COVID rules until at least November, maybe until December. We have all sorts of sports nearby and above all surfing, plus some of the easiest PUA locations in the world, and a fledgling arcade scene in our living room. You can see pics of the apartment here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/42211094

Any comments, post them in the forum thread, and you can also follow our adventures there as I'll be posting pics of whatever we get up to: https://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=7504
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Beakman » 31 Aug 2021 10:27

Due to a literal misstep we ended up shutting down the apartment's internet service yesterday (that's why we ended up not playing Makaimura, if anyone is wondering), and since I had to attend meetings and stuff for the job, icy immediately helped me to scout for decent Wi-Fi networks around town. So let me show you my "office" last afternoon:

Beakman

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Sep 2021 01:27

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (2 Players Legend) w/ icycalm as Arthur & Beakman as the Ancestors
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1135473051
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37asTY-d6hg

The Twitch link features some comments by Archonus in the chat, but it only lasts for a couple of weeks, so check that out if you're interested.

Normally I would switch role with the other player for every credit, but the roles are so different that I think it would seriously hurt performance. In terms of performance, the ideal would be for the players to specialize in either Arthur or the ancestors for the entire game. However, that way they would both be missing out on half the game, so the ideal solution in terms of experiencing everything would be to switch characters PER SESSION. So next time we play, I'll try the ancestors and Beak will take Arthur.

We're thinking of adding some more games to the rotation, for variety, like in a real arcade. We talked about Hard Corps: Uprising, but that's the same exact genre. You don't want to be playing two games of the same genre, so we're thinking of Neo Contra instead, which is a different subgenre, as long as we can make it look good on a PS2 emulator with scanlines. And then maybe we'll add a couple of MAME titles. I'd like to play a cute platformer like Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands or NewZealand Story. In terms of shooters, most danmaku aren't good for two players, but Pink Sweets is an exception. I've seen people play it 2P in Japanese arcades to great effect, so it's a matter of whether we can get it running somehow. Not sure if it's on MAME. Beak would have to get one of his arcade sticks shipped over for that though.

That Makaimura session was the first time I've played in-person/couch co-op in many years. Probably over a decade. When Masa, Robo, recoil, and schaden visited me, we didn't really play any games. We played a bit of Planetfall with schaden, but he was in another room on his laptop, and we were playing with a bunch of people, so it was normal online gaming. But mostly we didn't play any games, because I was busy with other stuff during those visits. With Masa we were engaged in some illicit activities that pretty much occupied our whole time, with Robo we were trying to make a game, with recoil we were gambling, and when schaden came I was in between two gambling trips and still pretty much thinking about gambling all day. Now, however, I am relaxed and working on my sites and living life as normal, so I am definitely in the mood for a lot of gaming and plan to take advantage of Beak's being here, and the fact he likes arcade gaming too. It's pretty awesome playing these games without having to worry about lag, or needing to wear headphones or be on Discord to chat, and so on.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Q-veta » 02 Sep 2021 07:53

You guys could try Streets of Rage 4. I've played it both locally and online and it was much more enjoyable locally. The lag online is pretty significant and with voice chat the other person hears you about a second after you're done speaking so coordination doesn't work as well in a fast-paced game like this compared to local co-op. Locally I even pointed at the screen during some more heated moments lol.

There are also some Capcom beat 'em ups on Steam in Capcom Arcade Stadium and Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle if you want something different in the genre.
Q-veta

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Sep 2021 12:52

I'd rather play SOR4 in 4P, so I'll save that for online. But throwing a beat 'em up in the rotation is a good suggestion, so we'll find a 2P one. Maybe The Punisher. I reviewed that back in the day, but I played it in 1P, and I don't remember my review at all.

Our main game though will be the Makaimura. Any other kind of 2D action we can find really pales compared to it, so the rest of the games will be basically our break from the main game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Cult Meetup Tenerife 2021

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Sep 2021 19:20

I sold my 43-inch 4K TV to Beak and put the money in my 8K TV fund. It was brand-new in the box. Sony Bravia HDR model with great gaming characteristics: I bought it from a rec from a NeoGAF thread.

Insomnia looks really good on it:

The new Makaimura looks insane on it (though of course you can’t tell in this pic):

And that’s how Beak’s work setup looks (check NASA’s 404 page):

This was my first gaming on 4K experience and I couldn’t believe my eyes, especially for a game like Makaimura. It’s definitely the ultimate way to play the game. Beak says the graphics are vector so there’s no upscaling for the higher res. Everything just looks sharper and smoother, like a good animated children’s show. I wouldn’t like to go back to 1080p, though we might have to if his laptop can’t handle streaming at the same time.

We’re now looking for 4K movies to watch. I think the new Dune movie is out, I’d love to watch that on this thing.

In the meantime, Beak is accumulating stuff here. He now has a desk, chair, mattress, 4K TV, and he’s looking for a motorcycle helmet because he rented a scooter. It really seems like he might move here lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Beakman » 03 Sep 2021 20:05

A place with great view I just happened to find while doing a ride like 5 minutes away from where icy lives:

Beakman

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Sep 2021 03:20

TAB at 4K is unbelievable:

You see an insane range, and when you zoom in it looks like a completely different game, like an action game:

I never realized what a difference the elimination of aliasing makes to the games. It makes them look like TV or cinema. It’s a subtle but unmistakable effect. It really sucks going back to my 1080p TV after this. And Beak’s laptop can run both these games just fine.

This game would not have been playable at 27 inches 4K. It becomes playable around the 43 inches we have, and would be even better at 50 or above.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Sep 2021 03:23

It should go without saying that none of my pics do the res justice. I am posting them so you can see the scale in the zoomed-out pics; for all other pics you need to be in front of the TV or I need a 4K camera.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Beakman » 05 Sep 2021 18:25

While icy has been busting his back preparing the final details for our upcoming D&D session, I am in another room preparing my setup. From left to right:

Laptop:
Main Screen:
  • Ruins of Azlant Player's Guide
  • Discord
  • My char's picture
Tablet:
  • Pathfinder Core Rulebook

Beakman

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Sep 2021 03:14

This is a model player setup. A model DM setup would have probably twice as many screens and three times as many programs running.

I am sure we'll all work up to more complex setups as the weeks and months roll on. There's whole Player's Handbook and DM's Guide chapters waiting to be written on the ideal setups.

The more information you know, and have at your fingertips, the more useful a player and DM you can be, and the smoother and better the game will run for everyone.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Sep 2021 23:48

Bo is thinking of coming over, and in the meantime Beak's plans are beginning to solidify, so here are some more details about all our plans.

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 10 Sep 2021 13:15

Alright, I just booked a round-trip flight for October 11th to November 16th. Tenerife, here I come!
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Sep 2021 13:23

Fantastic, now it's looking more like a meetup, with three people instead of two.

Bring something to swim with. Are you interested in surfing or mountain biking, etc? I'll try to figure out stuff for us to do. I will also be far less busy by then than I am now, so I should have lots of time to do stuff.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 10 Sep 2021 14:52

I'm up for all the outdoors activities. Surfing and mountain biking both sound awesome. A camping trip could be fun, too.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Sep 2021 14:56

I don't know if Beak is up for camping, you can ask him, but I'm sleeping either in my bed, or in some girl's. MAYBE on the beach once in a blue moon, given the right conditions. Whether I am working hard on my sites, or playing sports or videogames, I am always exhausted at the end of the day, and the last thing I want is to be sleeping in a tent without a hot shower or electricity and so on. I would go camping as a last resort if I was running out of money and couldn't afford accommodation.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Sep 2021 14:58

There are other niche scenarios in which I would go camping.

Say on a snowboard trip to Alaska, and you want to ride a peak and there are no hotels nearby. Or on a trip through Sweden in the summer to hit on girls in small towns, and you don't want to spend on the expensive hotels (they don't have cheap ones or hostels in small towns).

But to go camping for the sake of camping, I wouldn't do it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Next

Return to Offline