default header

Development

Project DEIOS

Moderator: JC Denton

Project DEIOS

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2020 10:01

https://www.dungeonfog.com/deios/

Project DEIOS is being made by the people who made DungeonFog in collaboration with the people behind World Anvil. It promises to be the be-all end-all of world-building tools, with cutting-edge features such as spherical planets, seamless zooming, and effects like lighting, weather and fog of war. Its alpha is available right now but I am holding back because I worry I might not be able to keep my stuff as the project evolves. So I am investing my time into World Anvil now, and will check out DEIOS once I hear it's relatively done and stable. Besides, the World Anvil people are saying the two programs will communicate somehow, and WA already has an export function, so perhaps I'll just be able to move our world over with a click, who knows.

To be clear, this is a combined mapmaker and VTT. It's not just a world-builder like World Anvil. We'll be able to play everything right on the overworld! Check the roadmap for feature details: https://www.dungeonfog.com/media/img_deios_roadmap.pdf

Essentially, Project DEIOS will replace Fantasy Grounds for us, if it works as advertised. Meanwhile, the planned World Anvil integration probably means I can keep all the work I will have done by then on WA, and just port it right over.

Check the trailer below, it's awesome.

Project DEIOS - coming 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBHwQLgdb4

Dungeon Fog wrote:Design awesome Battle Maps, stunning City Maps, and spectacular World Maps for your adventures. One integrated, innovative system - Infinite Creativity!

Project DEIOS is currently in development and will be released 2021.

Their Kickstarter raised half a million dollars: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/du ... ldbuilders

Some chat between me and Beak earlier today:

CULT|Beakman
That map tool in World Anvil is really cool.
It would be even cooler if, when you zoom in, it would automatically load the higher resolution map, in the same view (as real map apps do).

CULT|icycalm
Well, it does load it in the same window...
I am not sure what more it could do?
It has to switch the maps

CULT|Beakman
They can be streamed in without switching views. Like in Google Maps. If you're zoomed out (say to see the whole planet) you see an image of a different resolution compared to when you zoom in. And the mapping viewer streams higher resolution tiles according to your zoom level.
You can actually notice the tiles being streamed in if your connection is a bit slow.

CULT|icycalm
I think Project Deios will do that
Apparently that will be the ultimate fantasy map tool
I will make a thread in the forum about it soon
But you can just go to their KS page now and check it out

CULT|Beakman
I'll do it.
I work on similar stuff, but we do planetary globes (in 3D graphics). Since I began reading into D&D I've found that there's a community of geospatial mappers that do fantasy maps as a hobby, but I haven't seen any 3D globe effort.

CULT|icycalm
Deios will definitely have spherical planets, they say it in their pitch

CULT|Beakman
Wow!

CULT|icycalm
The question is if the D&D worlds have given us enough material to build them there
Actually, many of them have. I have the 2D whole planet maps on the site. So it's just an issue of a conversion

CULT|Beakman
Yeah, I was wondering the same. I don't know if the authors gave their planets geodesic measurements, lol.

CULT|icycalm
Nah, but there must be a quick way to convert it
Some settings though only have one continent detailed
Birthright, Council of Wyrms, Dark Sun
But maybe the rest can be covered in fog of war

CULT|Beakman
Yeah, there are tools to change map projections with whatever map you have.

CULT|icycalm
Deios has FOW

CULT|Beakman
Oh, they're planning entire star systems in 3D!

CULT|icycalm
I think I can buy alpha access for it now
But I am not sure if content I input now would work later
That's what's keeping me back
I may as well keep using World Anvil for a few months until their product is stable
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Development