default header

Roleplaying

Dungeons & Celebrities

Moderator: JC Denton

Dungeons & Celebrities

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2021 16:59

I used to think that Manganiello was a poser, because of the slickly-produced but vapid and overacted D&D streams you see him in on Twitch, but after seeing the video below it's obvious he's legit.

Inside Hollywood's Elite Dungeons & Dragons Club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdUSja1afjE

Vince Vaughn, Tom Morello, the Game of Thrones producers and others are in there.

They are playing in person, but they use a ton of props, so they are doing it about as well as it can be done in person. Plus... they are all in showbiz/pro actors, so they can get away with it. I bet role-playing with Vince Vaughn in person must be an insane experience.

Joe Manganiello's 'Gary Gygax Memorial Dungeon'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUfngq89cg

He had a 20-25-year hiatus from D&D just like me (I had 25 almost exactly; I stopped playing in the summer of '95, and started again in December 2020).

He says his entire generation of D&D players are suddenly all playing again, and I can believe it.

VTTs did this, even if he's playing in person.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Archonus » 05 Jan 2021 17:40

Holy fuck, that game room looks absolutely incredible. So do the figurines and scenery. That wooly mammoth with the broken ship battle platform on its back looks soooo cooooool!!! Druid goals... And he has so many figs the druid can choose the COLOR of his form!? Fuck yes!
Archonus

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Jun 2021 11:25

Jack Black, Kevin Smith and Reggie Watts are playing Dungeons & Dragons for charity
https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/dunge ... ggie-watts

An all-star line-up of film stars, musicians and comedians are set to play Dungeons & Dragons for charity next month.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Dungeons & Celebrities

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jul 2022 10:35

The Stranger Things show has always featured D&D, but it seems with Season 4 they've downright made it a D&D licensed property. I am watching the first episode, and half of it is about D&D. There's an entire subplot where they lose a player in the last session of the campaign, and have to go through the school asking anyone to replace him. Then they do find a replacement, and you see them playing D&D for quite a while! With 1980s 1st edition books and DM screen etc! And it's actually very well done! Certainly unfathomably better than the shrill streamers on Twitch. After all, these are professional actors directed by a professional director. You can watch the entire game here if you don't feel like watching three seasons to get to it:

Stranger Things Season 4 | The Ultimate D&D Game Scene [HD] | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OENI3Lgytk

But the craziest thing is that the campaign features Vecna, who's basically D&D's ultimate bad guy. He's been in a bunch of published material including an adventure that spans THREE planets/settings (Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms iirc). I think this is the adventure they're playing:

But that's not all lol. Given how Twitter is full of Vecna references and even LIVE-ACTION PICS, it looks like the kids fight Vecna as the bad guy of the season lmao.

I mean he's on the freakin' poster:

Stranger Things is a D&D licensed property.

They've even released a Stranger Things-branded rerelease of the basic starter set from the '80s.

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Jul 2022 00:10

Grant Boucher has been posting in the Paizo forums since 2015.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/grantboucher

From Steven Spielberg’s “seaQuest” to “Star Trek: Voyager”, from Star Wars to James Cameron’s TITANIC, and most recently from DINOSAURS ALIVE! IMAX 3D to PIRANHA 3D, Grant has worked with many of the most well-known and successful names in the entertainment industry.

https://paizo.com/products/btpy8j5y/dis ... -Medusa#71

Grant Boucher wrote:Hi everybody! Grant Boucher here.

I came across this today because of a random search term and decided I would raise this thread from the dead. :)

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Baron.

I checked my original and published drafts of Star Wars Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope for the offending issue.

It's not there. So, that one's NOT my bad, ladies and gents.

Since the website linked talks about a product that would have amalgamated my work with that of other writers and WEG editors, I assume the dimensions problem originated at WEG as they tried to make sense of it all in those early days.

Not that it matters anymore, but let the record be clear that I'm not the one responsible for mislabeling that mighty ship. :)

PS I can't believe so many wonderful folks still care about my work from so many years ago. It's become canon not only for Lucasfilm at the time but also now for the Disney era -- as a lot of these races and names I was given the chance to create have recently showed up in The Mandalorian series. Unbelievably wonderful.

20 years from now Paizo/Pathfinder will have overtaken WotC/D&D (currently it's 6-10x smaller), and the Pathfinder universe will be acknowledged as the greatest artistic project of all time.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Jul 2022 07:33

lol I am halfway through the season and the townspeople are hunting down the D&D group as a satanic cult with the DM as leader. You can’t make this up.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying