default header

Roleplaying

5E D&D: The Wild Beyond The Witchlight

Moderator: JC Denton

5E D&D: The Wild Beyond The Witchlight

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Jun 2021 14:19

The next 5E adventure: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/wild-beyond-witchlight

Wizards of the Coast wrote:SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

A wickedly whimsical adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is D&D's next big adventure storyline that brings the wicked whimsy of the Feywild to fifth edition for the first time. Tune into D&D Live 2021 presented by G4 on July 16 and 17 for details including new characters, monsters, mechanics, and story hooks suitable for players of all ages and experience levels.

I love the alternate cover. It's softcover as opposed to the main edition which is hard.

Wizards of the Coast wrote:An alternative art cover with a distinctive design and soft-touch finish is available exclusively in game stores on September 21, 2021.

I don't know anything about the Feywild. Apparently it launched after my time, so I looked it up to see if it's part of the Realms, or somewhere else entirely. It seems it's a bit complex: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.p ... ost6319376

Knockback wrote:As explained in the 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide, the Feywild is part of every D&D setting - as is the Shadowfell, the Nine Hells, Mechanus etc.

For how all those different planes of existence can work with Eberron, see WOTC's recent 5th Edition book Eberron: Rising from the Last War.

It sounds like Planescape the way he is describing it, but if so people would be going bananas, so my guess is that Feywild and Shadowfell were initially launched as part of the Forgotten Realms. I mean, yeah, they are planes, but so is Ravenloft. Just because something is in the planes, doesn't mean it has been developed with Planescape's peculiar style in mind. So it seems to me that Shadowfell and Feywild are technically part of Planescape, like Ravenloft, but adventures set in them are probably tied to the Realms (i.e. the characters probably begin and/or end the adventure in the Realms), and play similarly to the Realms, in style etc. You can even see it in the artwork. That's typical Realms artwork. It's not Eberron, and it sure as hell aint Planescape.

September 21.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying