default header

Roleplaying

Wizards of the Coast

Moderator: JC Denton

Wizards of the Coast

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jun 2021 14:27

Noticed something very interesting just now in Wizards' official page for Curse of Strahd: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tablet ... rse-strahd

Wizards of the Coast wrote:WHERE CAN I BUY IT?

Purchase it at your local game store, book stores such as Barnes & Noble, or online at retailers like Amazon.

You can also find Curse of Strahd available via Fantasy Grounds, Steam, as well as Roll20 and D&D Beyond.

All these stores are hyperlinked, and though of course the first line references the print edition that makes the most money for Wizards, in the second line for VTTs, Fantasy Grounds is linked first, and Wizards' own D&D Beyond last. That's because DDB isn't really a VTT, it's just a digital reference, but you'd still expect Wizards to promote it first. Moreover, it is clear that they push FG over Roll20, despite the latter's higher popularity and ease of use. Finally, they link the FG store first, and only then FG's Steam page, so they're doing SmiteWorks a favor by trying to save them from Steam's 30% cut.

Just thought it was worth mentioning; for what it's worth, Wizards ranks the various options perfectly. I even approve of their listing the print edition first: that's certainly what I would have bought first, if I could afford to double-dip. The ideal option, as a DM, is to buy the print edition so you can read it in its best readable format (it's 1000x better than reading the FG module...), and then the VTT edition of your choice to run, the best of which is FG.

Kudos to Wizards for having their shit straight on this one. The only way they could improve things now is approving the animated maps of Curse of Strahd that some people have made for Foundry, and the ones other people have made for TaleSpire, then funding both groups of people to COMPLETE their sets, and then releasing packs of everything for those two superior VTTs thus turbo-charging their adoption and taking us to the next era of D&D and role-playing in general.

It's free money, Wizards. Not only will you gain new customers who'll be dazzled by the new videogame-like formats, but many older customers will double- and even triple-dip on this one. Just get on it ffs.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying